Appriss Reviews

1. Okay Job

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Appriss

Pros

Good pay considering Open door policy in a way Nice people considering Training available No dress code, could dress casual Helped a lot of people during the job

Cons

People got lazy Management quit caring about their employees Hiring for shift need didn't make much sense. We'd get new people still be short staffed because management didn't hire for the shifts needed A lot of he said she said stuff Flexibility for some employees others not so much Bonuses seemed to get cut Activities for employees died down

Progressive and therefore odd place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Appriss full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing Work/Life Balance, way beyond my expectations. That's what keeps me here year after year. I feel very trusted and empowered to do whatever I need to do to get my job done.

Cons

Pay scale seems low. Very little socializing among employees or at least a lot less than what I'm used to. Middle management seems distant and disengaged from day to day work, but probably because they are always focused on the longer term goals.

3. Unclear direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Appriss (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and nice people.

Cons

The company has unclear direction.

5. It whas been one of the most laid back jobs I have ever had

I have been working at Appriss

Pros

laid back no metrics except of quality Lots of one on one help

Cons

Wages aren't the best slow on getting up the ladder

6. Great benefits, horrible career growth

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst

I worked at Appriss full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are well designed, despite having the plans change every year. Use of ROWE for unlimited time off is nice if you have the opportunities to take longer than a few days off at a time.

Cons

Very little effort is spent by management on growing your career to advance to the next level. Pay increases are non-existent. Instead, you can get a quarterly bonus that is only paid in full if the company meets goals (that are never attained). Strong focus away from keeping employees happy and instead focused on raising profit margins. Communication is poor across different areas. Don't expect to work with anyone outside your project. The product lines are silo'd so bad you'll never work with or meet anyone outside what you work on.

Advice to Management

Challenge employees with a defined career path and career goals. let them know they have a future to grow in the company and are not stuck where they got hired. Bring back individual pay increases. Some employees work very hard in areas that do not heavily contribute to the profit margins, but our bonuses are punished by other areas that did not meet their goals.

Downsizing and corporatizing

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer

I have been working at Appriss full-time

Pros

This used to be a great place to work - best company culture, actually cared abt employees. It's a completely different company now.

Cons

Now, it's all about quotas and dollars. More and more is taken away from the employees. Actually took away pay raises --- who does that?

Advice to Management

Sell the company to someone who cares about the values we used to care about.

Appriss Response

Apr 20, 2015 – Vice President of Human Resources

Appriss evolved to a performance based compensation struture to reward employees who are achieving their objectives. In 2013 and 2014 the salary increase budget was used to increase salaries for our ... More

8. "Out of the box" thinking!!

I have been working at Appriss

Pros

The culture of this company is what amazes me daily! All salaried employees have unlimited time off and the autonomy to work from home and set their own hours as long as deliverables are met! They walk the walk and this is not just a program of the month!

Cons

Isolated environment. Most employees have their own offices so there is very little interaction so it's difficult to get to know people.

Advice to Management

More activities to encourage communication with other departments.

9. Changes

I worked at Appriss

Pros

Work life balance was ok

Cons

Constant "direction change" caused unneeded stress with employees

10. Things Have Changed A LOT Over the Last 3+ Years

Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Louisville, KY

I worked at Appriss full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Appriss always provides great flexibility for a great work/life balance. Hours were flexible to allow me to take my kids to or pick them up from school, have lunch with them during the week, and not feel like big brother was looking over my shoulder asking where I was. They trusted employees to get the job done and work they hours they needed to hit our goals.

Cons

Over the last several years, the culture has virtually disappeared. We used to do great things like family picnics, game day, company flag football, and 3-on-3 basketball tournament. Over the last several years I was there, all of those things disappeared over night, and other than the flexibility, they seemed to stop caring about employees and making Appriss a GREAT place to work that it once was. Their benefits are great, but when you compare salaries to other local companies, once they took away the culture, it was easy to see you could make a sizable jump in salary elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Stick to the core values of making Appriss a GREAT place to work and you'll see the increase in turnover reduce to a crawl. Sadly, over the last 2 years I've seen more people with 5+ years of experience leave the company because of ripping the culture out from under our feet.

11. Employee of 1 year weighing in; positive experience

Current Employee - Tech in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Tech in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Appriss full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Pay and benefits are great -Lots of freedom and collaboration with boss when planning long term projects -Higher ups value input -Show appreciation for employees by sometimes bringing in catered food, gift cards, even a money blowing machine at the Christmas party -Lots of internal promotion, bosses don't seem to have any problem with interdepartmental moves either, no sour grapes or anything like that they just seem to want to help you succeed -A meritocratic feel

Cons

The IT structure is convoluted. Even just the naming structure of the many custom services and servers up and running are opaque, confusing, and nonstandardized. On at least a few occasions I recall getting admonished by superiors (not my boss though, Bob P. was a superb boss.) for confusions that only arose because of the byzantine naming conventions getting confused with the colloquial terms used internally to describe services and servers.

Advice to Management

What's the long term future of the company? I see the growth in the many different services that you're branching out to but what's Appriss's exclusive value when compared to other data aggregate companies? My concern is that Google and Amazon could move into many if not all of the spaces currently occupied by Appriss in the coming decade or sooner.

RSS Feed </> Embed