Apptio

Great Company - Amazing Culture

Current Employee - G&A: Finance, Human Resources, Legal in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - G&A: Finance, Human Resources, Legal in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Apptio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The job I was recruited for is exactly what they said it would be; but better because I have regular opportunities to step outside my core expertise to contribute in other areas. The culture of respect and mutual encouragement is very strong. Apptio offers lots of fun activities to make our weeks interesting (perks and treats), but we all work hard, and we're all working toward the common goal of making Apptio's products pervasive.

Cons

It's a younger company, so we're still growing and creating those foundational programs and processes. This is to be expected and it's not at all a bad thing because all of us help to contribute.

Keep doing what you're doing in terms of having an inclusive and respectful culture!

Sales at Apptio

I worked at Apptio

Pros

At Apptio you will work with some incredibly intelligent people that are all focused on growing the business into a powerhouse in SaaS Business Intelligence software.

Cons

There was a lot disorganization in the mid-tier leadership. At times it seemed that no one knew how to on board new employees or provide proper training. There were inconstancies in metrics measuring.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Apptio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoy working here. I've been with the company 9 months now and am very happy with all aspects of my employment. It is a young company and still very entrepreneurial in nature.

Cons

As a young company, there is a lot of time spent putting out fires rather than figuring out how to not have fires. But progress is being made!

Professional Services for IT finance - not real SaS or Cloud as they'd have you believe

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At this time they are pre-IPO. If you are into relationship sales and deal making, you could be very successful.

Cons

Operationally Apptio has struggled to scale. At some point you need to decide if your niche will be white glove service to a few high paying customers, or something more commoditized that you can repeat hundreds or thousands of times.

Break up the fraternity of former HP/Mercury/iConclude senior managers. When you surround yourself with "yes" men, actually problems will not be addressed.

Seems like this big clique of people is just hanging on for IPO.

Outlook is sunny but some could be challenged more

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Apptio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for a few startups that had a good idea but didn't execute and died. It's nice to be working for a company that has a great idea, a market and is executing. Because of the young company mentality I see engineers being able to move around and try different areas and products to find where they are most comfortable and get the most satisfaction. By far, Apptio has the best work/life ratio I've seen in my twenty+ years of being in the industry. Hitting goals are important but not at the expense of burnout and poor quality.

Cons

Development is often at odds with IT. The IT org tends to lock things down wherever they can but often at the expense of productivity with no real gain in security. They also look for ways to make their lives easier at the expense of the dev organization. The most senior and talented engineers are asked to do more and more non-coding work and don't get to do the parts of their job that they enjoy the most.

Some of the most talented engineers are not being mentally challenged. There's incredible talent at your disposal and some of the best and brightest are working on very mundane tasks. It's a waste and risk to hire very bright individuals and not challenge them with interesting problems to solve. Disclaimer: I'm not in that group but I am worried about brain-drain.

Horrible General Business Practices

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I worked at Apptio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work schedule freedom is the only perk

Cons

No transparency with employees; complete dishonesty with employees; established policies and procedures are nonexistent

Be honest with employees!

The Software is built on a Sand.... just waiting for the storm.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Apptio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are nice, as long as you are in the click, just keep drinking the kool-aid and you will be fine.
    IPO in the near future.

Cons

Company states that are transparent and open to everyone's ideas...... no so. It is a mutual admiration society.
    People think they are actually smarter than they really are, very condescending. People are promoted for being in the click not necessarily for their knowledge.

Software Platform is hosed....... more bugs than the projects . Engineering cannot fix fast enough.

Fix the platform before it is too late....... or is it too late.

Just OK

I worked at Apptio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Attractive comp plan. Marketing does a really good job promoting the brand

Cons

Really hard to hit the comp plan

Incredible Company, Amazing Culture

I have been working at Apptio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture at this place is awesome. It's a collaborative, transparent, team-based environment where it really is all-or-nothing. This doesn't fit everyone, but that really is a good thing at this stage of the company's life. Everyone relies on everyone else, and the dedication to the cause really shows. Stock options are a nice gesture, especially for a company with as much upside as this one. As the company grows towards an IPO, the benefits will only get better.

Cons

It's clearly a place that's growing, and right now it's somewhere between startup and IPO. There are places that it shows- HR needs more bodies, "corporate" policies need some strengthening, and the product sometimes lags in support and presentation, but the recent management hires are a great sign that Sunny & Co. are really taking these weaknesses seriously, and acting to shore them up before they become unmanageable.

Don't lose touch with your roots. This is a fun, energizing, young and innovative place to work, and taking the time to do the IPO right will preserve that culture for many years. Especially in the customer-facing roles, this is what makes us unique, and what will ultimately drive our success or failure.

Great Company

I have been working at Apptio

Pros

Great co workers is great to work with

Cons

Compensation should be increased to industry standards