Apptio Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.8

Apptio Chairman, Co-Founder, President & CEO Sunny Gupta
Sunny Gupta

Outlook is sunny but some could be challenged more

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Apptio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked for a few startups that had a good idea but didn't execute and died. It's nice to be working for a company that has a great idea, a market and is executing. Because of the young company mentality I see engineers being able to move around and try different areas and products to find where they are most comfortable and get the most satisfaction. By far, Apptio has the best work/life ratio I've seen in my twenty+ years of being in the industry. Hitting goals are important but not at the expense of burnout and poor quality.

Cons

Development is often at odds with IT. The IT org tends to lock things down wherever they can but often at the expense of productivity with no real gain in security. They also look for ways to make their lives easier at the expense of the dev organization. The most senior and talented engineers are asked to do more and more non-coding work and don't get to do the parts of their job that they enjoy the most.

Some of the most talented engineers are not being mentally challenged. There's incredible talent at your disposal and some of the best and brightest are working on very mundane tasks. It's a waste and risk to hire very bright individuals and not challenge them with interesting problems to solve. Disclaimer: I'm not in that group but I am worried about brain-drain.

Professional Services for IT finance - not real SaS or Cloud as they'd have you believe

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time for more than a year

Pros

At this time they are pre-IPO. If you are into relationship sales and deal making, you could be very successful.

Cons

Operationally Apptio has struggled to scale. At some point you need to decide if your niche will be white glove service to a few high paying customers, or something more commoditized that you can repeat hundreds or thousands of times.

Break up the fraternity of former HP/Mercury/iConclude senior managers. When you surround yourself with "yes" men, actually problems will not be addressed.

Seems like this big clique of people is just hanging on for IPO.

Horrible General Business Practices

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I worked at Apptio full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work schedule freedom is the only perk

Cons

No transparency with employees; complete dishonesty with employees; established policies and procedures are nonexistent

Be honest with employees!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Software is built on a Sand.... just waiting for the storm.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Apptio full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are nice, as long as you are in the click, just keep drinking the kool-aid and you will be fine.
    IPO in the near future.

Cons

Company states that are transparent and open to everyone's ideas...... no so. It is a mutual admiration society.
    People think they are actually smarter than they really are, very condescending. People are promoted for being in the click not necessarily for their knowledge.

Software Platform is hosed....... more bugs than the projects . Engineering cannot fix fast enough.

Fix the platform before it is too late....... or is it too late.

Just OK

I worked at Apptio full-time for less than a year

Pros

Attractive comp plan. Marketing does a really good job promoting the brand

Cons

Really hard to hit the comp plan

Incredible Company, Amazing Culture

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Cary, NC

I have been working at Apptio full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture at this place is awesome. It's a collaborative, transparent, team-based environment where it really is all-or-nothing. This doesn't fit everyone, but that really is a good thing at this stage of the company's life. Everyone relies on everyone else, and the dedication to the cause really shows. Stock options are a nice gesture, especially for a company with as much upside as this one. As the company grows towards an IPO, the benefits will only get better.

Cons

It's clearly a place that's growing, and right now it's somewhere between startup and IPO. There are places that it shows- HR needs more bodies, "corporate" policies need some strengthening, and the product sometimes lags in support and presentation, but the recent management hires are a great sign that Sunny & Co. are really taking these weaknesses seriously, and acting to shore them up before they become unmanageable.

Don't lose touch with your roots. This is a fun, energizing, young and innovative place to work, and taking the time to do the IPO right will preserve that culture for many years. Especially in the customer-facing roles, this is what makes us unique, and what will ultimately drive our success or failure.

Great Company

I have been working at Apptio

Pros

Great co workers is great to work with

Cons

Compensation should be increased to industry standards

High growth, challenging, great culture!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Apptio full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Plenty of opportunity for top performers who want to take on more
    - Fun, laid back, yet hard working culture
    - Strong leadership across the company
    - High growth trajectory
    - CEO who really cares about his employees

Cons

- The high growth environment can be challenging at times - limited time to develop internal processes due to sales/customer focus.
    - Salaries may be below market for consultants, but total comp isn't bad

Always keep the focus on PEOPLE. If you have great people everything else will take care of itself.

Evolving and getting better

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Apptio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are some of the best, driven, tenacious, fun, and everyone can make a difference.
    Lots of opportunity to work with many different people.

Cons

It's an all-in environment. This place stretches me, I think I'm good at what I do, but everyone is here! But, people are supportive, and the attitude is "fail fast", learn, and keep going.

Recent Exec hires are first rate. I love the transparency of the execs. They are accessible, and are all rowing in the same direction. Great communication from the top, love the all-hands.

Amazing opportunity

I have been working at Apptio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cool technology in a new market that is just coming to maturity. It's an opportunity to be part of the company that will be the 800lb gorilla in technology business management. Cool technical solution to a problem that has been plaguing IT to a long time.

Cons

Fast paced and rapidly changing culture means having to keep up.

It's OK to slow down, take your time, and improve in steps instead of leaps. You won't miss out on anything.

Worked for Apptio? Contribute to the Community!