Apptio

Sunny Gupta

Great Company - Amazing Culture

Current Employee - G&A: Finance, Human Resources, Legal in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - G&A: Finance, Human Resources, Legal in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Apptio full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The job I was recruited for is exactly what they said it would be; but better because I have regular opportunities to step outside my core expertise to contribute in other areas. The culture of respect and mutual encouragement is very strong. Apptio offers lots of fun activities to make our weeks interesting (perks and treats), but we all work hard, and we're all working toward the common goal of making Apptio's products pervasive.

Cons

It's a younger company, so we're still growing and creating those foundational programs and processes. This is to be expected and it's not at all a bad thing because all of us help to contribute.

Keep doing what you're doing in terms of having an inclusive and respectful culture!

House of Cards

I have been working at Apptio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Well Funded
    Apptio is well funded by top tier venture capital companies in the Valley and Seattle. So, it has good enough runway. On the flip side, they will get paid first. So, do your math before accepting the offer, if you are counting on quick liquidation event in near future.
    * Building New Platform
    New platform is being built out. So, if you are an ambitious engineer, this might be a place for you. Keep in mind that it's being built for past 3 years and still under wraps.
    * International Expansion
    Apptio is expanding to overseas markets. So, you can get some international exposure.
    * Exceptional Marketing Team
    CMO is a monster. If your interest is in marketing, do go ahead.

Cons

* Chip on his Shoulder Attitude
    You will need to defend every. single. thing. Everyone thinks they know more than you and want to show it at every possible chance. Meetings often degenerate into arguments and other people actively look for faults rather than seek collaboration.
    * No Career Growth
    Over 80% of managements (director and above) are hired from outside. And typical tenure is less than 2 years. The CEO stated during a company meeting that "we are growing too fast to promote from within". Therefore, don't expect to grow into different or higher roles.
    * You are just another Pawn
    There is no loyalty to you unless you are in inner circle. You could be a darling one quarter, then fall out of favor fast.
    * High Churn Ratio
    Double digit churn rate across the board in the company. Many people stay just over a year to get their option vested and move on.
    * Losing Momentum
    Apptio grew fast by focusing on large enterprises. However, there are only so many of them. Not all companies can afford a Ferrari or need a Ferrari.
    * MSP (Managed Service Provider) not SaaS
    Another post mentioned this too. Apptio is actually a management service provider company, not SaaS. Ask for headcounts in customer success versus engineering or sales.

Get to a liquidation event soon. Big competitors with larger war chests are moving in. It's time to cash out.

Great place to visit, not a great place to stay.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Well-funded, well capitalized.
    - Marketing team is one of the best in the business. They can convince Eskimos they need ice.
    - There's a chip-on-the-shoulder attitude throughout the organization. Everyone pushes hard. There's a lot of camaraderie with your co-workers.
    - Standard Seattle tech industry perks, decent health coverage.

Cons

- Apptio demands a ton from its employees with little return. Work-life balance is a running joke. Opportunities for advancement are slim. People who leave Apptio say they're better for having been there, but far better for leaving.
    - The engineering organization has deep, deep cultural issues, and the existing platform is a nightmare to code on. There is another platform coming, but it's taken a long time to develop because of those cultural issues.
    - Organizational politics are rampant. Lots of weird games played. And yet, as an org it still thinks it's a startup, which makes the politics awful.
    - The market is drying up, and the new products are a long time from developing.
    - The Product Management team is reactive rather than proactive. The UX team is very standoffish and hard to work with. Sales continues to sell features that don't exist in the product. Customer Success is just a consulting gig with few opportunities.
    - Pay is still at a startup level, even though other startups in town now pay more. The strike price on stock is now so high that it's not really worth taking over a higher salary.

By now, I think you know where you stand. Cashing out this year would be wise, whether IPO or a buyer. If not, I highly suggest you step back and ask how to expand beyond TBM. Your high employee turnover isn't going away.

Need more intensity to become a great company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Apptio full-time

Pros

1. Solid Sales and Marketing organization. Good financial situation, can last for a while, if, the Executives don't screw it up badly.
    3. The company has added several industry leaders to its Executive team, those people have brought in years of experiences from the industry and from other startups

Cons

1. Want to confirm that this is not a SaaS company, 99% of the people in this company don't know how to spell SaaS. It's a server product hosted for customers
    2. The Engineering origination is below average level. Can't really recruit top talents from outside, and the internal culture doesn't reward outstanding work or encourage career growth
    3. Too much internal politics and too much cronyism

Get rid of or sideline those mediocre Directors/GMs who have been in this company for a while but can't keep up with the growing needs of the company, even they play football with the CEO

Sales at Apptio

I worked at Apptio

Pros

At Apptio you will work with some incredibly intelligent people that are all focused on growing the business into a powerhouse in SaaS Business Intelligence software.

Cons

There was a lot disorganization in the mid-tier leadership. At times it seemed that no one knew how to on board new employees or provide proper training. There were inconstancies in metrics measuring.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Consultant in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Cary, NC

I have been working at Apptio full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy working here. I've been with the company 9 months now and am very happy with all aspects of my employment. It is a young company and still very entrepreneurial in nature.

Cons

As a young company, there is a lot of time spent putting out fires rather than figuring out how to not have fires. But progress is being made!

Professional Services for IT finance - not real SaS or Cloud as they'd have you believe

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Apptio full-time (more than a year)

Pros

At this time they are pre-IPO. If you are into relationship sales and deal making, you could be very successful.

Cons

Operationally Apptio has struggled to scale. At some point you need to decide if your niche will be white glove service to a few high paying customers, or something more commoditized that you can repeat hundreds or thousands of times.

Break up the fraternity of former HP/Mercury/iConclude senior managers. When you surround yourself with "yes" men, actually problems will not be addressed.

Seems like this big clique of people is just hanging on for IPO.

Outlook is sunny but some could be challenged more

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Apptio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for a few startups that had a good idea but didn't execute and died. It's nice to be working for a company that has a great idea, a market and is executing. Because of the young company mentality I see engineers being able to move around and try different areas and products to find where they are most comfortable and get the most satisfaction. By far, Apptio has the best work/life ratio I've seen in my twenty+ years of being in the industry. Hitting goals are important but not at the expense of burnout and poor quality.

Cons

Development is often at odds with IT. The IT org tends to lock things down wherever they can but often at the expense of productivity with no real gain in security. They also look for ways to make their lives easier at the expense of the dev organization. The most senior and talented engineers are asked to do more and more non-coding work and don't get to do the parts of their job that they enjoy the most.

Some of the most talented engineers are not being mentally challenged. There's incredible talent at your disposal and some of the best and brightest are working on very mundane tasks. It's a waste and risk to hire very bright individuals and not challenge them with interesting problems to solve. Disclaimer: I'm not in that group but I am worried about brain-drain.

The Software is built on a Sand.... just waiting for the storm.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Apptio full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are nice, as long as you are in the click, just keep drinking the kool-aid and you will be fine.
    IPO in the near future.

Cons

Company states that are transparent and open to everyone's ideas...... no so. It is a mutual admiration society.
    People think they are actually smarter than they really are, very condescending. People are promoted for being in the click not necessarily for their knowledge.

Software Platform is hosed....... more bugs than the projects . Engineering cannot fix fast enough.

Fix the platform before it is too late....... or is it too late.

Horrible General Business Practices

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I worked at Apptio full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work schedule freedom is the only perk

Cons

No transparency with employees; complete dishonesty with employees; established policies and procedures are nonexistent

Be honest with employees!