Apria Healthcare Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
2.1

Dan Starck

Pros
  • good pay compared with the big L or others who are about to go out of business R (in 11 reviews)

• NONE, some really nice people to work with if they werent a part of management (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They are deleting its customer service staff to switch to phone button system (in 23 reviews)

• Upper Management do not have a define path to success through operations (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst Company EVER to work for!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Apria Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fellow Co-workers, training, there really isn't much PROs to this company really... other than some of my co workers.

Cons

Undue stress and miscommunication on absolutely insane requirements, NEVER WOULD HAVE LEFT MY LAST EMPLOYMENT if I'd known the situation wasn't as understood . Seriously you get dinged for going on bathroom breaks 1-2 min. really?. They say that doesn't count against you but it does. WORST CALL CENTER EXPERIENCE EVER!!!! You can't leave your desk without having to document it.

Your scare tactics does not help moral within your call centers.... rethink how your supervisors treat your employees... enough with these silly little games they play...the ones that are required to collect money and if they don't get reprimanded.... Lets say I am glad I got out!

ABSOLUTELY AWFUL - STAY AWAY!

I worked at Apria Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A few nice people at the local branch level

Cons

Horrible, inept, incapable management. Especially at the Regional level and above.

Get real. Get to know what your employees at the branch level go through on a daily basis. Restructure to attract good people and KEEP good people......and I'm NOT talking about brown nosers and "yes" men!

Nightmare!

Former Employee - Customer Quality Specialist in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Quality Specialist in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Apria Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are absolutely no pro's about Apria as a company or as a workplace. I worked at the Overland Park center and worked there for only a few months before I realized that it was probably the worst work environment I have ever been in. This place is not professional, their mission and vision is a lie, they are unethical, are not pro-employee and the turn over rate is pretty darn high. This is the only workplace I've witnessed a former coworker quit with her middle fingers blazing in the air because she was fed up with management.

Cons

I went to Apria during a transition where they were creating their Sleep Central call center, which from my own experience of being in the call center industry.... it was far far from what a call center should be. There were so many unethical things going on within Apria's management, that I'm surprised no one has filed any lawsuits. I felt so bad for patients who never got the service they deserved because of management's failure to deliver to their employees a sturdy foundation for operations. At first management was apologetic about all the changes that were going on, however their apologies were just excuses one after the other came excuse after excuse. They bribed employees with fake incentives, forced overtime, never provided an advanced warning or even meetings to disseminate information to everybody, but instead wrote people up for not following "new processes". There was lack of communication, no one knew what they were doing, and no one knew what "accountability" meant. The area managers: I had to edit this part to meet Glassdoor's terms, but just know that: Management fired 2 supervisors one after the other even though it was clear that we were lacking support. (One of the sups being the only supervisor that was a moral booster in place all after they set him up for failure too.) They set all of us for failure. Management is not for anyone's best interest except for themselves and their own money. They really have no clue as to how to run a center. I'm so glad I got out of there, and now I'm working in a very professional environment, which is a polar opposite of what Apria is. Don't even think twice about working here.

A company stands with a strong foundation. Without your pawns, you can't win your game. Ever since the Blackstone acquisition, Apria has only cared about numbers. As management and as a company, you will continue to lose in numbers if you can't take care of the people you treat so poorly. The morale is low, everyone talks bad about the company during breaks, employees new and old have a mutual understanding about how bad the company is. If people didn't need a job they would probably quit, but they can't. So take care of your people.. if it's not already too late...

Don't do it! It's a mess and shows no sign of improvement!

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Apria Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Med sales experience, relationships with hospitals and offices (although issues out of your control may ruin your relationships with offices)

Cons

Lack of decent training, you are on your own. All training other than your initial training is done via poorly made power points or other e-learning. Initial training is almost all role playing, no solid clinical or product training (embarrassing compared to pharma and other med sales companies). Hit 100% to goal (an almost impossible feat depending on where you are) and did not receive a raise. No raises for anyone in 2014 actually. Terrible matching for 401k if any at all. Health care costs are terrible. Branch personnel paid poorly making for difficulties with referrals (my branch does well despite how Apria treats them - rare!). Never have I received a goal on time! They usually are given well into the start of each quarter. Have pressed hard for how goals are calculated and am always refused (very unethical and untrustworthy in my opinion). Every year in third quarter we are banned from spending any money on lunches (at least this is what is happening on the west coast) which kills you in 4th quarter (your most important quarter). Point system for sales of products constantly messed around with, almost never in the sales reps favor. There is massive pressure to hit very unreasonable goals (what upper management calls stretch goals). Billing center causes havoc on patients and referrals with threatening letters, billing mess ups and miss-charged credit cards. Lay offs always a threat at the branch level. New orders from referrals now are handled by other branches on a first come first serve basis. This is creating huge delays and bad, uncaring service. Worst of all upper management has no interest in listening to suggestions from the field and are prolific micro managers. Text book theory x management. Not sure if it's blackstone or upper management at Apria that are causing all the problems but it's truthfully an EPIC bad place to work now!

Cut out the theory x management. Take a referral and patient first approach. Stop treating your people poorly!

Hospital account liaison

Current Employee - Hospital Account Liaison in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Hospital Account Liaison in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Apria Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clients, case managers, SNF's, branch, drivers are what I enjoyed. Good hard working people trying to provide a service.

Cons

Direction changes weekly when the numbers aren't being met. Managers will fire you to save their own backs, but eventually get fired anyway. Tremendous turnover, low moral, oppressive environment. Always working in fear of loosing your job. Being owned by blood sucking Blackstone is the problem. Venture Capital company only cares about the bottom line!

Train managers, stick to a plan, listen to customers and employees. Get rid of Blackstone .

Horrible Upper Management

Former Employee - Respiratory Therapist

I worked at Apria Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay for new respiratory therapists. Getting to help patients and see people get better.

Cons

The benefits are a joke. I had patient satisfaction scores above 90%, worked in a branch that has profited 500k in 2014, yet was still laid off. Apria sells refurbished PAP devices for the same price as a new one. They are short sighted jerks and embody everything that is wrong with the US health care system. They are constantly laying off clinical staff and asking non-licensed personal to do things they don't have any business doing.

A totally confused company

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Apria Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can't think of any good points with Apria

Cons

Nasty people to work for. Totally unorganized management system. Never any follow through on any plan of action.

Clean house. Get rid of upper management. Do your homework and hire real business leaders. Its too bad your patients are so unhappy with your service.

Run, do not walk, away from this company!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canonsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canonsburg, PA

I have been working at Apria Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Telecommuting possible, reliable paycheck, paid personal and sick time that accrues with every pay period. Paid vacation.

Cons

Apria is a company desperately trying to adapt to the ever changing Medicare landscape and failing miserably at it. They put policies in place one week and change them the next. Employees are supposed to adapt on the fly and work on accounts when they aren't even sure what the "policy of the day" is. Be prepared for an endless stream of emails, meetings, and FYI moments every day just to remind you of the changes from the day before.
    This is a company that truly operates on the "do more with less" principle....read that to mean....Our CEO makes 3 million a year, but you aren't getting a raise this year. It also means that we are installing not one, not two, but three systems to make sure you are working every minute of the day. (all under the guise of "staffing concerns"). It means continual pleas for "voluntary" overtime to keep up with unreasonable upper management demands.
    This company is a real life example of Einstein's theory of insanity....Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome. In short, if you have any other choice for employment....take it.

START OVER! Take a hard look at your policies. Your employees are people, not numbers on a spreadsheet. There is a reason your attrition rate is one of the highest in the industry. You cannot continue to use people to their breaking point and beyond with no reward. You have created a business that runs on an atmosphere of fear among your employees.

Horrible

Former Employee - Respiratory Therapist

I worked at Apria Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I met one mildly interesting person. I learned that I NEVER want to work an office job again, that having a cubicle is not cool, and that my self respect and dignity are worth more than whatever this place could offer. Honestly, working here was a good insight to the hell that most Americans put up with, and a hell that I will never participate in.

Cons

Disgustingly unqualified, uneducated management who were somehow able to snake their way to the top. This was my first professional job, but quickly realized I was far more intelligent than the people in command. A whole bunch of idiots.

There's nothing you can do because you're just a mid-level "manager" with someone breathing down your neck, and with someone above them and so on.

Terrible Place

Former Employee - Suspended Billing Representative in Minster, OH
    Former Employee - Suspended Billing Representative in Minster, OH

I worked at Apria Healthcare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None-was a dictatorship place to work

Cons

Poor Management, no clue what was going on

Know who does the work