Apria Healthcare

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.2

Dan Starck

Pros
  • good pay compared with the big L or others who are about to go out of business R (in 11 reviews)

• NONE, some really nice people to work with if they werent a part of management (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • They are deleting its customer service staff to switch to phone button system (in 24 reviews)

• Upper Management do not have a define path to success through operations (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Profit margins in this company are being squeezed, and so are the employees.

Former Employee - Collections Representative
    Former Employee - Collections Representative

I worked at Apria Healthcare

Pros

As with any company, some of the people you work with will be good people.

Cons

Worked here 6 years, not sure why I stayed so long. No raises as long as I can remember. No bonuses either. Pay is much lower than the rest of the industry. A promotion can take several years to happen, if at all, and I personally know people that have been demoted due to reorgs. They monitor everything you do on your computer every moment of the day. Bottom line is, the company is doing terribly financially and the employees suffer.

Customer Service Specialist

I have been working at Apria Healthcare full-time

Pros

Absolutely none. I have not met one employee yet that likes working here. This place is awful. Never seen such an unorganized company. First chance I can get out I am.

Cons

Health benefits suck. The most micromanaged company. The worst company to work for. Management makes this job so stressful. Management picks on everything little thing you do or don't do. They make this job very frustrating. Training sucks because you do not get properly trained and get reprimanded when you do something when you was not trained to do it or it was never explaind to you in thr first place.

When management are listening to calls for quality service. They need to pay attention to what the patients are saying. More than 95% are upset with the service from Apria.It does not seem like Apria cares about their patients.

Terrible Employer, Run, Don't Walk

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Canonsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Canonsburg, PA

I have been working at Apria Healthcare

Pros

Literally nothing. This place is actually the worst.

Cons

The bathrooms are filthy, the microwaves in the break room has been cleaned of its filth exactly once in 6 months. Everything is virtual, so I've seen coworkers gang up on members of management and get them in trouble just because they can. The rules don't exist until they randomly do every day, they just make up more crap and try to sell it as a "business plan."

Train your people. Be more present. Don't fall for the crap and the gossip you can't witness because your office is in the middle of the country while your employees are hundreds of miles away.

Branch Manager

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Apria Healthcare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary was competitive and the company was very commited to "Compliance"

Cons

The most cut throat company I have ever had the misfortune to have worked for, as Upper management Truely does not value staff

Too top heavy in Management

what ever you do, it is never enough

I have been working at Apria Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I would recommend that you find a job elsewhere,

Cons

tired of a company that says, hey you are doing a great job, but you must do more, you are not doing enough.......always increasing the work load with no appreciation for its employees, no raises, just wanting more and more each day. and dont dare make mistakes, you are expected to perform with no errors. weekly assessments on your work.
    now the big brother computer system, following your every move, monitoring your every moment of the day.

Apria

I worked at Apria Healthcare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility was wonderful - communication poor.

Cons

company is very unstable - culture poor

Worst Company EVER to work for!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Apria Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fellow Co-workers, training, there really isn't much PROs to this company really... other than some of my co workers.

Cons

Undue stress and miscommunication on absolutely insane requirements, NEVER WOULD HAVE LEFT MY LAST EMPLOYMENT if I'd known the situation wasn't as understood . Seriously you get dinged for going on bathroom breaks 1-2 min. really?. They say that doesn't count against you but it does. WORST CALL CENTER EXPERIENCE EVER!!!! You can't leave your desk without having to document it.

Your scare tactics does not help moral within your call centers.... rethink how your supervisors treat your employees... enough with these silly little games they play...the ones that are required to collect money and if they don't get reprimanded.... Lets say I am glad I got out!

ABSOLUTELY AWFUL - STAY AWAY!

I worked at Apria Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A few nice people at the local branch level

Cons

Horrible, inept, incapable management. Especially at the Regional level and above.

Get real. Get to know what your employees at the branch level go through on a daily basis. Restructure to attract good people and KEEP good people......and I'm NOT talking about brown nosers and "yes" men!

Nightmare!

Former Employee - Customer Quality Specialist in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Quality Specialist in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Apria Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are absolutely no pro's about Apria as a company or as a workplace. I worked at the Overland Park center and worked there for only a few months before I realized that it was probably the worst work environment I have ever been in. This place is not professional, their mission and vision is a lie, they are unethical, are not pro-employee and the turn over rate is pretty darn high. This is the only workplace I've witnessed a former coworker quit with her middle fingers blazing in the air because she was fed up with management.

Cons

I went to Apria during a transition where they were creating their Sleep Central call center, which from my own experience of being in the call center industry.... it was far far from what a call center should be. There were so many unethical things going on within Apria's management, that I'm surprised no one has filed any lawsuits. I felt so bad for patients who never got the service they deserved because of management's failure to deliver to their employees a sturdy foundation for operations. At first management was apologetic about all the changes that were going on, however their apologies were just excuses one after the other came excuse after excuse. They bribed employees with fake incentives, forced overtime, never provided an advanced warning or even meetings to disseminate information to everybody, but instead wrote people up for not following "new processes". There was lack of communication, no one knew what they were doing, and no one knew what "accountability" meant. The area managers: I had to edit this part to meet Glassdoor's terms, but just know that: Management fired 2 supervisors one after the other even though it was clear that we were lacking support. (One of the sups being the only supervisor that was a moral booster in place all after they set him up for failure too.) They set all of us for failure. Management is not for anyone's best interest except for themselves and their own money. They really have no clue as to how to run a center. I'm so glad I got out of there, and now I'm working in a very professional environment, which is a polar opposite of what Apria is. Don't even think twice about working here.

A company stands with a strong foundation. Without your pawns, you can't win your game. Ever since the Blackstone acquisition, Apria has only cared about numbers. As management and as a company, you will continue to lose in numbers if you can't take care of the people you treat so poorly. The morale is low, everyone talks bad about the company during breaks, employees new and old have a mutual understanding about how bad the company is. If people didn't need a job they would probably quit, but they can't. So take care of your people.. if it's not already too late...

Don't do it! It's a mess and shows no sign of improvement!

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Apria Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Med sales experience, relationships with hospitals and offices (although issues out of your control may ruin your relationships with offices)

Cons

Lack of decent training, you are on your own. All training other than your initial training is done via poorly made power points or other e-learning. Initial training is almost all role playing, no solid clinical or product training (embarrassing compared to pharma and other med sales companies). Hit 100% to goal (an almost impossible feat depending on where you are) and did not receive a raise. No raises for anyone in 2014 actually. Terrible matching for 401k if any at all. Health care costs are terrible. Branch personnel paid poorly making for difficulties with referrals (my branch does well despite how Apria treats them - rare!). Never have I received a goal on time! They usually are given well into the start of each quarter. Have pressed hard for how goals are calculated and am always refused (very unethical and untrustworthy in my opinion). Every year in third quarter we are banned from spending any money on lunches (at least this is what is happening on the west coast) which kills you in 4th quarter (your most important quarter). Point system for sales of products constantly messed around with, almost never in the sales reps favor. There is massive pressure to hit very unreasonable goals (what upper management calls stretch goals). Billing center causes havoc on patients and referrals with threatening letters, billing mess ups and miss-charged credit cards. Lay offs always a threat at the branch level. New orders from referrals now are handled by other branches on a first come first serve basis. This is creating huge delays and bad, uncaring service. Worst of all upper management has no interest in listening to suggestions from the field and are prolific micro managers. Text book theory x management. Not sure if it's blackstone or upper management at Apria that are causing all the problems but it's truthfully an EPIC bad place to work now!

Cut out the theory x management. Take a referral and patient first approach. Stop treating your people poorly!