Apria Healthcare Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Dan Starck

Pros
  • good pay compared with the big L or others who are about to go out of business R (in 11 reviews)

• A few nice people at the local branch level (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The customer service isn't up the level of satisfactory (in 24 reviews)

• There is no support from upper management (in 17 reviews)

THINK TWICE

Former Employee - Collections Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Collections Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Apria Healthcare

Pros

The amount of time off (vacation, personal and sick) is more than most companies are giving now. The work schedule is flexible.

Cons

The office that I worked in, people were promoted to positions that they never should have been promoted to. Most companies are at the point that in order to get a Management position, you must have at least a Bachelor's degree. This was not the case with the office that I worked at There was not one person in Senior Management that had these qualifications. This could be one reason why the company is closing several offices. Also Mr. Higby is out for himself. MAybe if he wouldn't have taken such large bonus', then the company might still be doing alright.

Advice to Management

Go back to school and get an education

2. not a happy camper

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Apria Healthcare

Pros

I have great friends and branch reps/managers are wonderful to work with. My schedule is feasible when I work 40 hours.

Cons

I have been with Apria for a couple of years. I really enjoy what I do. But...I hate waking up every morning knowing that I am stuck in my job. They froze our salaries, sold a few thousand jobs to India, are changing our job descriptions, expect us to be at 150% workload productivity at 90% pay, and the room for career advancement....haven't seen anyone promoted in months. So many people lost their jobs. Hard working people. When Blackstone bought us out, we knew this was going to happen, but we were assured that this was no big change...just going from public to private (no big deal)...what a load of crap. You all get called into a room and are told...by the way, they are laying off 1/3 of the company...we know we said it wouldn't affect you, but...they changed their minds. Billing center reps were told that Intellinet...the company in India that our jobs were sold to...98% have college degrees...like that should make these people feel better. Come on now... They were told me the top exec's secretary (or whoever she was) that they should feel honored that a VP came to their location to break the news. Who cares if it is Superman, Roger Rabbit or Brad Pitt. These people lost their jobs! This company sucks every bit of energy they can out of you and then tell you to shove off. The pay...I wouldn't know, haven't had a pay increase in well over a year. Respect...yeah, ok...what is the definition again? Job security...I answered that one already. Work/life balance...it needs to be done or else...so you work OT just to stay within goal. But then OT is limited at the same time. One day you have to work it, the next day there isn't any available. Growth...that is a joke. Co-worker competence. I guess it all depends on who is sitting next to you on this one. Work environment...breaks are there if you can manage to take them. Bathrooms...it's like you need a requisition form to get soap/paper towel or toilet paper. The smokers even have to clean out their own cigarette receptacles. I don't think the bathrooms or the vents have been cleaned in a year. There is dust, etc. all over the walls and floors. You can barely tell the vents are vents. They look more like dust mops. There is agaping hole in the ceiling in the bathroom from water damage...we have a bucket to catch any leaks. But we do have new carpet. Yeah us!

Advice to Management

Be up front and honest about layoffs. Don't make promises you can't keep. Try doing our jobs for one day.

Be prepared to sit all day!

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Apria Healthcare

Pros

They pay you more if you have a college degree

Cons

Upon being hired they don't inform the employee about the working conditions! Be prepared to be stuck in a cube 8 hours a day with lunch and two scheduled breaks...if you get them. You are not allowed to go to the restroom etc at free will. Computer system is very out of date.....the green blinking cursor from the 1990's. I truly did not like the work environment!

Advice to Management

During hiring process, have candidates sign a form that states working conditions,shift and days to be worked. Also, inform them that benefits don't start for 120 days!

Embarrased to be an employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Apria Healthcare

Pros

Flexible with timeoff request, reliable paycheck in poor economy. Longterm possabilites if you are willing to climb the long coorporate ladder.

Cons

Constantly dealing with angry customers, micro-management, feel like number, complete disregard to customers, quantity over quality, poor training. Constantly receiving complaints from clients, physicians and all others. Coorporate has no understanding of day to day operations. Front line employees are sigificantly under paid and under appreciated. Full business transaction relies heavily on front line employees and the company refuses to invest in them. no one is willing to speak out in management. Smile and nod atmosphere creates ambivilance.

Advice to Management

Invest in your front line employees. Pay your customer service reps and deliver techs a decent wage. the cost you will save in mistakes alone will make it a wash. Improve your training, Improve your HR department. Make your coorporate employees perform the jobs front line employees perform in order to understand complications in order to improve the process. The amount of ignorance from your coorporate branch is astounding. Eliminate paperwork which is repetative and streamline the process. Increase communication between interoffice divisions.

Unfair

Current Employee - Collections in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Collections in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Apria Healthcare

Pros

Time off is granted. flexible work schedule

Cons

Existing employees are not treated fairly and there is no one to take complaints serious to get resolved

Advice to Management

Treat your employees fairly

Terrible

Former Employee - Clinical Specialist in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Clinical Specialist in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Apria Healthcare

Pros

Convenient location and pay for expenses, bonus quarterly

Cons

VERY POOR management at local level, uneducated in local management job duties. Upper management did nothing when complaints were given. Raises poor unless you were buddies with the manager....had to do work of other lazy clinical employees that was in with the manager. Unfair in job preformance evaluations unless once again you were part of the office click. Never reprimanded the employees that were "friends" of the office manager. No regard for patient care, all about the $$$$ and number game. I can't say enough about a very poor experience with this comany. If you need a clinical job, look elsewhere and save yourself alot of stress!! This company has a very high turnover and don't seem to care...... Benefits deteriorated over the time I worked there.

Advice to Management

CARE about your employees if that is possible for YOU. Hire office and upper managers that have a healthcare background so they have a clue about the job that needs to be done. No more non educated or nonqualified managers off the street or within the company just ot fill an open position. You need managers educated in the job of healthcare and how to treat employees. Take complaints seriously from your employees instead of just adding a bandaide or terminating the person that gives you inside complaints. Why shoot the messenger?? Your process isn't working. You need a real live person to intervene between employees and management for positive progress to help employee issues, otherswise you will continue to have the turnover you currently have and the many vacant positions you can't seem to fill. Show some respect for the good employees you have. Perhaps you should also do random drug testing on a regular basis in all locations!!

Conservative and a lot of politics.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, CA

I have been working at Apria Healthcare

Pros

Stable and easy job. Good hours.

Cons

no career advancement and new hires are not treated well.

Advice to Management

Treat your people fairly and be open to new hires.

it's up then its down you just never know from day to day

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Apria Healthcare

Pros

Good pay, coworkers, easy drive great hours

Cons

it was supposed to be one of the top DME companies we were told over and over how well the company's doing. And then people start disappearing, then the rumors start and that's all you have because upper management won't communicate anything to us little people.

Advice to Management

communication is more than just a buzz word in a power point presentation.

10. racist and dishonest

Former Employee - Suspended Billing Representative in Jackson, TN
    Former Employee - Suspended Billing Representative in Jackson, TN

I worked at Apria Healthcare

Pros

unlimited overtime, and some good managers

Cons

they will terminate you over he say she say stuff as in school with out true proof. you have lower level staff in relationship w/ the high executive staff and your treated differently

Advice to Management

get new over head management in the top office in jackson.

You'll regret every moment of your life there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Apria Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro was my paycheck.

Cons

The work culture, environment, the people, the management.. Management has no respect for it's employees and treat the little people as they are not adults. Management is in cliques and they gossip about employees behind their backs. HR is a not helpful so there is no point in even going to them. It is a VERYYYYYYYY stressful work environment and overall not a very pleasant place to work. My location, employees were quitting left and right, some right out of training. They don't give you proper training. You spend a few weeks in a class and get on the floor and have no idea what you're doing. if you are a people person or if a positive work culture or environment is for you, DO NOT GET TRAPPED AT THIS PLACE. Worse experience of my life. But if you go to work ONLY to get paid and don't really care about being respected by your employer, then this is the place for you. This place is HELL in the corporate industry. They don't think logically and have no common sense. Just because a person has a degree does not really mean they're smart and can make good decisions. I warn you. DO NOT GO. The stress was not worth the pay.

Advice to Management

Pay attention in those management training classes. Because all of you lack good management skills which is why you keep losing money. It's not the small people. It's because you hire people or put people in management positions who don't know what they're doing. It is healthcare. So the people that you have in management should have HEALTHCARE experience and you shouldn't hire a manager because they manager experience. You should hire management who has management experience in HEALTHCARE.

RSS Feed </> Embed