Apria Healthcare

Updated November 18, 2014
Updated November 18, 2014
2.2

Dan Starck

Pros
  • good pay compared with the big L or others who are about to go out of business R (in 11 reviews)

• NONE, some really nice people to work with if they werent a part of management (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • They are deleting its customer service staff to switch to phone button system (in 23 reviews)

• Upper Management do not have a define path to success through operations (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst Company EVER to work for!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Apria Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fellow Co-workers, training, there really isn't much PROs to this company really... other than some of my co workers.

Cons

Undue stress and miscommunication on absolutely insane requirements, NEVER WOULD HAVE LEFT MY LAST EMPLOYMENT if I'd known the situation wasn't as understood . Seriously you get dinged for going on bathroom breaks 1-2 min. really?. They say that doesn't count against you but it does. WORST CALL CENTER EXPERIENCE EVER!!!! You can't leave your desk without having to document it.

Your scare tactics does not help moral within your call centers.... rethink how your supervisors treat your employees... enough with these silly little games they play...the ones that are required to collect money and if they don't get reprimanded.... Lets say I am glad I got out!

ABSOLUTELY AWFUL - STAY AWAY!

I worked at Apria Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A few nice people at the local branch level

Cons

Horrible, inept, incapable management. Especially at the Regional level and above.

Get real. Get to know what your employees at the branch level go through on a daily basis. Restructure to attract good people and KEEP good people......and I'm NOT talking about brown nosers and "yes" men!

Nightmare!

Former Employee - Customer Quality Specialist in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Quality Specialist in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Apria Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are absolutely no pro's about Apria as a company or as a workplace. I worked at the Overland Park center and worked there for only a few months before I realized that it was probably the worst work environment I have ever been in. This place is not professional, their mission and vision is a lie, they are unethical, are not pro-employee and the turn over rate is pretty darn high. This is the only workplace I've witnessed a former coworker quit with her middle fingers blazing in the air because she was fed up with management.

Cons

I went to Apria during a transition where they were creating their Sleep Central call center, which from my own experience of being in the call center industry.... it was far far from what a call center should be. There were so many unethical things going on within Apria's management, that I'm surprised no one has filed any lawsuits. I felt so bad for patients who never got the service they deserved because of management's failure to deliver to their employees a sturdy foundation for operations. At first management was apologetic about all the changes that were going on, however their apologies were just excuses one after the other came excuse after excuse. They bribed employees with fake incentives, forced overtime, never provided an advanced warning or even meetings to disseminate information to everybody, but instead wrote people up for not following "new processes". There was lack of communication, no one knew what they were doing, and no one knew what "accountability" meant. The area managers: I had to edit this part to meet Glassdoor's terms, but just know that: Management fired 2 supervisors one after the other even though it was clear that we were lacking support. (One of the sups being the only supervisor that was a moral booster in place all after they set him up for failure too.) They set all of us for failure. Management is not for anyone's best interest except for themselves and their own money. They really have no clue as to how to run a center. I'm so glad I got out of there, and now I'm working in a very professional environment, which is a polar opposite of what Apria is. Don't even think twice about working here.

A company stands with a strong foundation. Without your pawns, you can't win your game. Ever since the Blackstone acquisition, Apria has only cared about numbers. As management and as a company, you will continue to lose in numbers if you can't take care of the people you treat so poorly. The morale is low, everyone talks bad about the company during breaks, employees new and old have a mutual understanding about how bad the company is. If people didn't need a job they would probably quit, but they can't. So take care of your people.. if it's not already too late...

Area Sales Manager

Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Apria Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are nice and try hard to get the job done but are lacking upper management & operational support

Cons

Management doesn't have their act together. The customer service isn't up the level of satisfactory. Morale is very low.

Used to be a decent company

I worked at Apria Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Basic benefits provided by a large company. 6 holidays but you also accrue vacation, sick and personal time off. Your co-workers are the best thing about Apria.

Cons

Apria used to be a decent company. But after Blackstone bought them in 2008 (I believe that's the year), things went quickly downhill. For a healthcare company you would expect a good medical plan. When I left, the only option was a high deductible plan with a $2,000 deductible for singles and $4,000 deductible for couples and families. The 401K company match was dropped one year and reintroduced the next year at only 2%. When I left, the match was up in the air for 2014. Apria used to care about the customer, but now it's all about the bottom line and how to get more work out of fewer employees.

Find a way to show that you value your employees. Focus more on true customer satisfaction.

patient care rep

Current Employee - Patient Care Representative in Riverside, MO
    Current Employee - Patient Care Representative in Riverside, MO

I have been working at Apria Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

commission on sale of dme is decent but job is very stressful

Cons

you are expected to cram product down the patients throats to meet sales goals and if you don't meet monthly sales quotas you get wrote up, management is awful, write ups for everything unless you know the right boss or suck up

hire ethical management to treat staff fair and stop forcing sales on its patients just to make $, dme should be a patients choice not just a tool to make the company money, especially those on Medicare, and purchase a phone system that works or improve the one you have!

Good at first, getting worse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA

I have been working at Apria Healthcare

Pros

Pay s alright, fairly easy job

Cons

Management, most training is done by yourself. Learn as you go.

Listen to your employees for god's sake.

Interesting company with lots of industry knowledge but PE owned so highly unstable

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, CA

I worked at Apria Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the industry and products Apria sells are very interesting. they do a lot of good work for their patients and some very smart, experienced people have gone through there.

Cons

salary & bonuses were on the low side in many cases. the politics get pretty nasty there since it's a PE owned company and the board is changing out its top execs every year.

create some stability, optimize staffing levels so you can pay the proper market rates and not chip away at benefits and bonuses every year. invest in your key folks not just who agrees with you and kisses butt.

Don't do it! It's a mess and shows no sign of improvement!

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Apria Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Med sales experience, relationships with hospitals and offices (although issues out of your control may ruin your relationships with offices)

Cons

Lack of decent training, you are on your own. All training other than your initial training is done via poorly made power points or other e-learning. Initial training is almost all role playing, no solid clinical or product training (embarrassing compared to pharma and other med sales companies). Hit 100% to goal (an almost impossible feat depending on where you are) and did not receive a raise. No raises for anyone in 2014 actually. Terrible matching for 401k if any at all. Health care costs are terrible. Branch personnel paid poorly making for difficulties with referrals (my branch does well despite how Apria treats them - rare!). Never have I received a goal on time! They usually are given well into the start of each quarter. Have pressed hard for how goals are calculated and am always refused (very unethical and untrustworthy in my opinion). Every year in third quarter we are banned from spending any money on lunches (at least this is what is happening on the west coast) which kills you in 4th quarter (your most important quarter). Point system for sales of products constantly messed around with, almost never in the sales reps favor. There is massive pressure to hit very unreasonable goals (what upper management calls stretch goals). Billing center causes havoc on patients and referrals with threatening letters, billing mess ups and miss-charged credit cards. Lay offs always a threat at the branch level. New orders from referrals now are handled by other branches on a first come first serve basis. This is creating huge delays and bad, uncaring service. Worst of all upper management has no interest in listening to suggestions from the field and are prolific micro managers. Text book theory x management. Not sure if it's blackstone or upper management at Apria that are causing all the problems but it's truthfully an EPIC bad place to work now!

Cut out the theory x management. Take a referral and patient first approach. Stop treating your people poorly!

Hospital account liaison

Current Employee - Hospital Account Liaison in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Hospital Account Liaison in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Apria Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clients, case managers, SNF's, branch, drivers are what I enjoyed. Good hard working people trying to provide a service.

Cons

Direction changes weekly when the numbers aren't being met. Managers will fire you to save their own backs, but eventually get fired anyway. Tremendous turnover, low moral, oppressive environment. Always working in fear of loosing your job. Being owned by blood sucking Blackstone is the problem. Venture Capital company only cares about the bottom line!

Train managers, stick to a plan, listen to customers and employees. Get rid of Blackstone .