Apriva ISS

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014
3.4

Christopher Spinella

This is for Apriva POS - tremendous opportunity to do more exciting things if we can just FOCUS on the right initiatives

Current Employee - Information Technology in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Apriva ISS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very low level of politics. Not many of layers of leadership so you can talk to the senior most people fairly easily, Can make an impact instantly if you take the initiative. Cool technology. Prime acquisition target. Competitive base salary and healthcare benefits. Recent leadership changes/additions have been tremendous. Still some work to do in regards to letting consistent under performers go.

Cons

Although it has gotten better than it used to be, still way more work than we have people for. We seem to be unable to say no to sales opportunities so we end up spreading ourselves too think/ Need to focus and nail projects that contribute to our growth plans. That may mean shutting down projects/products that have been around awhile, but it will be for the best in the end.

Need ro provide a consistent incentive plan of some sort for the employees. No Bonuses. No 401k match. This just isn't competitive. Also - be more visible and communicate more with the employees. Need more opportunities to socialize a bit and get to know each other better.

Great team with exciting products.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Apriva ISS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Engineering team bright and fun to work with.

Cons

Projects were not always avaliable.

Sitting on a pot a gold and doing nothing about it (Mobile payments, not ISS)

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Apriva ISS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, good middle management, pretty good project management (some amazing PMs in there), flexible and low key work environment, great medical package, work from home option, feels like a family, rockstar teams (at least on the mobile payments side). Internship programs. Despite the long cons list coming up, I still like this company very much and feel it is a great place to work. I however, have lost faith in senior management and feel that they are going to quickly become a sweatshop in the next year or two.

Cons

Red. Tape. Senior management has no clue idea what they're dealing with. Priorities are all over the map: supports dead end projects, squanders gold mines because they do not understand the market; not putting enough faith into a golden product owner. IT and ES departments are incompetent. No creative director or unified mobile payments vision. Below median pay (they use a company to determine pay by paygrade, and it's grossly lowballing everyone). Company is also under Big Brother's boot. When big brother makes an awful decision about the product direction, Apriva bends to their will which usually ends up confusing the product. It's awful. CEO is a good guy but I feel like he's deferring to his VPs more than he should; I think he's un/misinformed to no fault of his own. HR head likes to be head cheerleader but doesn't champion. Too many outdated politics being played in the upper ranks without regard to what's actually happening in engineering and it's killing everyone. Most of these cons only show if you care about more than what you do from day to day. If you're just there for the paycheck, then you probably won't notice any of this.

If you're not going to take time to understand the mobile payment market, then let your product director handle it. Take care of your rockstars or they WILL leave and you'll be sunk. They're already leaving -- and here's the kicker -- they still believe in the product and love their teams and managers, but the direction and support of senior management is just absurd. It's like you've been handed a bag of diamonds and your response was "Cool. Hold onto that for just one second; this guy has a bag of nickels over here." In the meanwhile, the product that is elevating the company is about to fall apart due to lack of resources and support for the product owner's vision. It's a time bomb waiting to blow at any moment.

Once in a lifetime opportunity!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Apriva ISS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You work towards a common goal.
    Success is determined by you.
    Challenging yet rewarding.
    Atmosphere is unparalleled in the industry.
    Opportunities are limitless, to promote & learn!

Cons

You have to be willing to step up when others don't perform.

Ask your employees what is needed and make it happen.

Wake up, Apriva

Current Employee - Network Operations Center Technician in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Network Operations Center Technician in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Apriva ISS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a great stepping stone for service members looking to transition back into civilian life or for college grads looking for experience before finding something better.

Cons

No training program. Senior members afraid to share knowledge. Most of the senior management lack degrees in the field they manage and actually frown upon employees furthering their education. They also refuse to acknowledge suggestions made by their experienced junior staff.

Listen to your employees. Promote education. Promote from within and stop hiring people off the street to manage this system. You have a great junior staff that you're about to lose because you refuse to promote them, I have two words, San Antonio. Biggest mess I have ever seen in any company, which could have been easily avoided had you promoted from within.

What a difference a year makes

Current Employee - Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Apriva ISS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Since a leadership shakeup about a year ago, there is a strong team in place at the executive level. Most of the managers are outstanding. Performance is rewarded. Poor performance is dealt with. Compensation is competitive. Work-life balance is decent, no death-marches. HR actually seems to care about employees here. Technology is solid, and lots of potential to be a market leader, or juicy acquisition target, which could mean a nice new gig for all the technical talent.

Cons

Although they have been cleaning house, there are still a few weak links. Again, it seems they are trying to improve things since booting several execs who were toxic, so there is hope.

You fixed the top layer, now fix the next couple of layers down. There are only a handful more of "mistakes" to fix, you know who they are, (hint: look in IT, PM, Wallet) then we will be close to nirvana.

Herding Cats

Current Employee - All of IT in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - All of IT in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Apriva ISS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you know nothing, but willing to try anything they will ask you to do it.

Cons

No team work. No Goals. Complete lack of leadership. They hire experts but throw out anything they say and substitute there own reality.

Nothing, the cash cow rides on. The last of the good folk are leaving. Enjoy.

The best environment to work

Current Employee - Mobile Automation Test Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Mobile Automation Test Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Apriva ISS as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The managers and team are very knowledge sharing and I have never felt any stress. They follow the agile methodology. Very friendly management and colleagues.

Cons

No disadvantages. Sorry that my contract with them was very short. Would have felt happy if I got a full time offer.

Thank you for being the best.

Great potential... Some weak leaders

I have been working at Apriva ISS

Pros

Great potential for growth, cool technology, good people.

Cons

Only a couple real strong leaders on exec team... One President, POS Engineering VP, VP HR and CEO all professionals, the rest struggle.

Let the people you hire do their jobs. Don't swoop in and distract them or usurp their authority.

Cutting edge technology development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Apriva ISS

Pros

Deep industry knowledge. Respected company.

Cons

Small company so compensation is not commensurate with larger companies.