Apsalar

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael Oiknine

Solid team, great market, and huge opportunity.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Competent, hardworking staff in all areas of the company.
    - Meritocracy; performance is recognized and rewarded.
    - Lots of opportunity to take on new responsibilities and challenges.
    - Management in touch with the market, adaptable.

Cons- Conservative on perks, frills, expenses. Lean & mean operation.
    - Not the strongest culture across all teams, but steadily improving.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the pedal to the metal.

One of the worst places in the business

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsPeople don't have to work too hard because nothing ever gets done.
    Easy place for coasters

Cons- Horrendous product vision: it changed once every 2-3 months
    - Uncomfortable place for a woman to work: very sexist upper management team that would frequently make inappropriate comments
    - Product didn't work: in addition to lacking product vision, they actually lacked a product at all. Most of what we sold was purely vaporware

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a head of HR and try again...

Catered lunches do not make up for verbal abuse and bad management

(Former Employee)

ProsCatered lunches on Friday
    Free bagels on Tuesdays
    Great location

ConsThe company should be named Pivot, as that is what it does most.

Rampant sexist / off color commentary by upper management, often times about female employees. CEO frequently makes references to putting a private body part on employees desks as a means of proving who is correct in a disagreement.

Upper management can be agist, referring to some former employees as dinosaurs.

Verbal abuse often replaces constructive feedback.

High turn-over, even amongst upper management.

Very low pay compared to comparable jobs in the industry and area.

Management does not care about progress and accomplishment as much as seeing people looking busy and working long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementVerbal abuse is not the same thing as leadership. Inspire greatness and lead by example.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good compensation and work/life balance doesn't make up for terrible management

ProsWork/life balance is good and most of staff is overpaid for the work that they do. Office is conveniently located. Office management team is helpful and really wants to make it a better place to be.

ConsOffice is extremely political and cliquey and management can be divisive, accusatory and unprofessional. The company pivots every few months and struggles to retain top talent once they realize that the product is totally ineffective and the office is a political snake pit. Upper management makes unprofessional comments about female employees and clients to people that they assume won't be offended. Favoritism is present on some teams and chosen employees are regularly treated to better territory and exposure. Turn-over is very high. Management is not transparent about state of the business and will give misleading or altered numbers. Office culture is weak.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your employees that they are valued. Some people in the company want to contribute but feel discouraged and unincluded. The reason you're having trouble recruiting is that new people can sense that everyone is unhappy.

Good People, Workplace Needs Improving

Engineering (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe product has a lot of potential at the moment. Good amount of transparency within the organization (granted, it is small).

ConsThere is a high rate of turnover and given the early startup stage of the company, some employees were worried about the next round of funding.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the space more enjoyable to come to for teams.

Great vision, Poor communication

Senior Sales Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people are great, situated in a high growth ecosystem and located in SOMA, Free lunch on Fridays and decent health benefits.

ConsPoor communication across the board but this seems to be improving. Company needs to invest in the technology, the office and the morale of the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the front line, listen to the market and differentiate the company in a very competitive market.

Disorganized, underpaid, uncertain

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsApsalar is in a great industry, so the opportunity to exist in the mobile ecosystem is valuable. Good opportunity to go to industry events, and meet businesses with more palatable management teams.

ConsPatronizing management, little-no transparency, and disorganization contributed to an awful experience. Creativity discouraged, your idea will not be considered if your boss disagrees. That's the end of the conversation.

Not a good place for an engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWork life balance was decent and it is located in SOMA.

ConsDon't get me wrong - Apsalar is a good place for a sales person or a business development person to sell things that Apsalar claims but does not do - but it is the last place i would recommend an engineer to work at. They do not encourage innovation or appreciate initiative taken. Despite being a startup work is very slow and employees are not motivated.

Office politics hinders any progress. Product Managers are not on the same page as engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct more like a grown up startup and control your ego. More importantly be respectful to employees and encourage them to take on challenges and do new things.

Growing Very Fast & Huge Opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Company is seeing massive growth right now
    - Well situated in a market that is still developing and will be a multi-billion dollar industry
    - Nice people, good leadership and vibrant startup environment
    - Employees are empowered to make their own decisions and lead projects accordingly
    - Good location
    - Catered lunches on Friday
    - Free bagels on Tuesdays and snacks and soda all the time

Cons- A little more top-down transparency

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to your employees and we can build a great company

Losing that startup feel

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSmart people, some perks, situated well in the industry

ConsIdeas and direction come from the top down. Creativity is not encouraged. Questions are not encouraged. Discussion is not encouraged nor pleasant. Management encourages ownership of issues but publicly assigns blame and laughs at the victim du jour.

Advice to Senior ManagementBlame has no place in the workplace. Your job is not to write the best software. Your job is to create an environment where WE can do that. Stop getting in our way.

Worked for Apsalar? Contribute to the Community!