Apttus Reviews

Updated April 22, 2015
84 reviews filtered by
3.5
Kirk Krappe

Pros
  • Great product Niche, company is a lock to go public or get bought by SFDC (in 5 reviews)

• Great place to work at a fast paced and growing company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • They'd say "Great opportunity at a growing company" (in 4 reviews)

• We're growing, fast -- this results often in long hours and more work to do than there is time in a day (in 4 reviews)

A CFO's view of Apttus, from the inside

Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Apttus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor forces a reviewer to express opinions in three buckets; Pros, Cons and Advice. Forgive me if I refuse to follow their stated norm. As the CFO of Apttus I am responsible for Finance, Human Resources, IT, Legal and Admin - a job that spans the entire company and thus provides me the opportunity to work with folks in each department, as well as the platform to ask for honest feedback. I've been in this game too long to want "happy talk" or "tell me what I want to hear" from people. Elaborate and honest feedback helps build companies.
    Much of what I read on these reviews is grounded in fact; our products are great, our market is really big, we are growing like crazy, we are a tough place to work, we are demanding and we make mistakes often. I have been here for 17 months - when I joined we had 200 employees and in a year and a half we have grown to well over 700 and are on our way to 1,100 by the end of this year.
    Growth like that is exciting, rewarding and freakishly difficult. New employees who need to be inculcated into our processes and culture; managers who are stretched to the limit hiring, building and mentoring their teams; too little real estate so that people are packed into space like sardines; and nascent processes that need to be defined and implemented.
    But with that growth comes tremendous opportunity - I don't have exact numbers but in the past six months we've had dozen's and dozen's of employees transfer from one job to another in order to expand their skill set and career, we've hired a couple hundred recent grads who went through a three month intensive training process focused on career skills, technical knowledge, sales strategies and the like and have been able to jumpstart their career.

I interview a few people a day and what I tell them is pretty simple:
    1) The people who succeed at Apttus are highly intelligent, sheer brainpower is valued as it can create order out of chaos
    2)Apttus is highly demanding; corporate expectations are high, Sales volume equates to plenty of work, implementations are complex, demands on time are extensive.
    3)Hyper growth is more than challenging, it almost requires superhuman skills. Mistakes will be made, tension will run high and frustration will occur. But as long as you learn from your mistake you will be fine.
    But the benefits are even greater. Careers get defined by managing through hypergrowth, skills get developed faster, individual relationships with co-workers can run deeper, confidence can expand when one starts to understand how good you can truly be when tested, and a foundation for long term success will be built.

I have been very fortunate to work with a few companies that have experienced hypergrowth and the rewards and career growth were wonderful, but the day to day pain of that growth is still memorable to me years later. Every company has issues, it is a simple fact of business. Perhaps we have more due to growth or management or environment, but I do know that every week we can look back and say we made the company a bit better. We've instituted a broad and successful philanthropy program where employees are encouraged and supported to give back to the local community. Team building events and sports teams are starting to get created that allow one to blow off some steam with their coworkers. Friendships are blossoming (as are some corporate romances) and Well Being programs have recently been kicked off. We strive to make week to week incremental change in a challenging yet rewarding environment.

Cons

Oh, there are many, just read what I wrote above. Real Estate is at a premium, workload is high due to great sales volume, managers are stretched and in some groups more leadership is needed. Founders are making the transition from Founders to Executives. Pay can be inconsistent, hours can be long and chaos will exist.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on employee career growth, continue to demand the hiring of top quality individuals, realize that words and deeds are taken to heart thus be aware of their impact, get more real estate and continue to improve employee benefits. And tell the CFO to stop writing and get back to work.

Mixed experience

I have been working at Apttus

Pros

Great market for the Quote to Cash apps. Good vision for the future.

Cons

Terrible culture. Weak Sr. Management. Bad reputation hurts ability to hire good people. CEO does not seem to care about this. He believes he's running the best company in Silicon Valley and people should line up to work there.

Advice to Management

Fix the culture. Hire new top management. Focus on competence and integrity. Both are missing. The old guard has outlived their useful lives. Nepotism is awful. Many dirty little secrets will eventually catch up and hurt the company. Good people suffering there.

3. Sr. Engineering and Sales Recruiter

Former Contractor - Sr. Sales and Engineering Recruiter in San Mateo, CA
    Former Contractor - Sr. Sales and Engineering Recruiter in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Apttus as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Best people I have ever worked with. Most exciting product out there. Thrived in the very busy environment. Loved the Executives. Loved all of my managers. Loved my team. I was excited to get up everyday and come in. Finance team I can't say enough. To sum it up, Finance team is "REAL PEOPLE", with a lot of Wit. The Recruiting Coordinators are exceptional there, as are the recruiters. A true team spirit we all have."

Cons

I would have wanted to be an employee so I could have stayed at this amazing company.

Advice to Management

Stay real. It's what I loved about all of you.

Sales Engineering insider view of Apttus

Current Employee - Global Vice President Sales Engineering in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Global Vice President Sales Engineering in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Apttus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am the VP of Sales Engineering at Apttus and joined the company in January 2014 after a long run at Oracle. There were several reasons that I joined the company:

1. The Apttus solution is a great extension of the core SF capabilities in the Sales/Service Cloud,
    2. Salesforce is a customer/partner and investor of Apttus
    3. The founders have a great vision for the company and a path to get there
    4. There are extremely smart people here that are driven and have a single goal…dominate the QTC space in the Salesforce ecosystem

Over the past year at Apttus, I can honestly say it has been one of my most rewarding year in my career and I have had nothing but support from the founders to build the best ‘World Class’ Sales Engineering team.

We are building an organization at an incredible pace. We will make mistakes. However, the opportunity for growth and leadership are unlimited….you simply have to step up and fill in the voids.

Overall, I have no regrets joining Apttus and believe that we are in for a great run. Onward and upward.

Cons

Yes, the hours are long…it is a startup, I knew what I was signing up for when I came to Apttus

No is it not perfect, but the leadership team is committed to solving the big problems and take the company to the next level.

Yes there are politics. Small company / big company there are always politics, but they are minimal here, we simply don’t have the time for them. They are also nothing like the politics I encountered at Oracle. My advice to many of the post, stay focused on the goal, be the best, and continue to drive hard every day, everything else is noise.

Advice to Management

Being on top is an enviable position, but also makes you a target from all your competition. We have to continue to push hard and make sure that we maintain our leadership position in the QTC space. It is hard work, but we are up for the task.

A fast-paced environment with a lot of happy, eager employees.

Current Employee - Administrator in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Administrator in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Apttus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to jump-start your career. I have been working on many different projects since day one. This allows me to get involved and make an impact more that I would with any other company. My managers are not afraid to give me decision-making control and welcome my input. A real grassroots environment where I can create how operations happen.

Cons

Long hours. No 401k matching.

Advice to Management

Continue believing in your employees. Offer bonus incentives to all positions to reward hard work. Encourage managers to create career paths for all employees and follow-up quarterly to ensure that they are meeting their goals.

Apttus

I have been working at Apttus

Pros

I've been working here for a few months now and it is a fun, exciting place to be. The people are all great and very smart and driven. I feel like there is a good community here especially for me because I moved to California a few months ago and didn't know many people before.

The work is challenging in a good way and there is a lot of room for growth within the company because it is growing so fast. They really need people to step up and be leaders at this point and it is an exciting time to be a part of the company.

The Sales Academy was also a perfect transition from college life to work life. They teach you all about the product so that you can sell it confidently and really know what you are talking about. They also teach you about business and how the corporate world works. I found this to be very helpful but I can see why it was kind of frustrating for people who are more experienced.

Cons

Politics in the office. This is actually a problem. There are some people in upper management who are legitimately untouchable because they have cultivated relatoinships with the right people. These relationships are inappropriate for the office and have led to mistrust of the CEO and other executives here.

It's wait and see time...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Apttus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Products
    Great Talent
    Growing VERY quickly
    Pre IPO company
    Great relationship with our partners
    Fun happy hours
    Benefits

Cons

Lack of consistency in rules
    Lack of communication between departments
    Likes to hire "experienced" individuals from competing firms.
    Room full of party girls... job is important, but do you need that many?
    Nepotism
    Work/life balance
    No 401K match

Advice to Management

Must get business processes in place before IPO
    Invest in your current team... they're pretty good.
    Relationships within the company are usually NO-NOs

Challenging company with a lot of potential, but did Apttus bite off more than they could chew?

Current Employee - Implementation in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Implementation in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Apttus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Company has a great product, fueled by some terrific sales numbers coupled with the possibility of Salesforce dethroning Oracle as the CRM giant. Employee benefits have significantly improved over the last year or so. That being said, its heartwarming to see that almost all employees believe in the Company, its capability and try to do their jobs with the best of their abilities.
    PS: Optional Weekly massages, 2 catered meals per week and a good Insurance program are highlights of the Employee benefits

Cons

Over to the not so rosy stuff, Apttus has reached that awkward phase when the company is no longer a startup, but not a full fledged enterprise. Growing pains are pointed out as the root cause of many problems but, the upper management needs to keep in mind that this exponential growth, if not done in the right manner, can do more harm than good. As we grow bigger, we must strive for a more balanced growth than a sales oriented one. I mean, a few AEs were bought Lamborghinis, while a significant number of employees get paid below the industry average. Don't get me wrong, the AEs drove sales numbers through the roof and they thoroughly deserved it. On the other hand, the rest have no beef with working long hours, if we had issues with it, we wouldn't be working in a startup. My point is that if Apttus doesn't take a serious look at its current Sales biased pay structure, it will continue losing technical talent to other competitors.

Advice to Management

I guess you've noticed a common trend developing in this section across all reviews, Listen to your employees, start paying them better. For example, you've hired a great bunch of fresh graduates, and that was a great move. However, you need to ensure that your investment in them is worth it for the long run. Leverage this very potential to form the bedrock of the future of Apttus, or you might just lose them to one of the numerous Salesforce based companies in the Bay Area.

10. Tremendous opportunity for advancement, competitive pay, fun work environment.

I have been working at Apttus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was hired though their sales academy which was great as I was new to sales and they invest 8 weeks of training into each new hire instead of just pushing everyone straight onto the phones and learning the product as you go. I felt confident in my abilities as soon as we started hitting the phones. Within 3-6 moths almost everyone was tiered up into a more senior role. The work environment is fun as most of the BDR's are young and come right out of college. I identify closely with my coworkers and many are my close friends.

Cons

Day to day activity can become pretty monotonous. Extreme growth can result in growing pains- space is a concern. There are some issues with certain management but it sounds like the founders have changed their attitudes towards micro-managing. In my experience, I have never felt intimidated by any of my bosses.

11. Pre-IPO company that is experiencing drastic growth. They have established a strong "start-up" culture.

I have been working at Apttus

Pros

-Experienced Management
    -Company Culture, a mix of young sales reps and experienced business execs
    -Incredible group of engineers working on new products everyday

Cons

-Working out kinks of the hyper growth
    -Constant movement and change of structure

Advice to Management

-Keep hiring managers who can handle quick change and adapt