Apttus

Updated March 2, 2015
Updated March 2, 2015
3.5

Kirk Krappe

Pros
  • Great product Niche, company is a lock to go public or get bought by SFDC (in 5 reviews)

• Great place to work at a fast paced and growing company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • They'd say "Great opportunity at a growing company" (in 4 reviews)

• We're growing, fast -- this results often in long hours and more work to do than there is time in a day (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Professional Services

I have been working at Apttus

Pros

Great place,energetic and fun place to work

Cons

It can get overwhelming at times but nothing different from other places

Decent outlook, sub-par product, clueless management

Former Employee - Business Development in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Apttus

Pros

Fast-Pace and hyper-growth
    Hardworking employees
    Tons of snacks

An OK place to begin your career, but would not stay for the long run.

Cons

Cons

1.Very low compensation
    2. No work-life balance
    3. Training could be cut in half for time.
    4. Senior level management is in need of help
    5. Lots of politics

Initially, the company has attracted a number of talented and smart employees who are great to work with, but most of them have left for better opportunities or frustration on the little processes the company implements. The "great" culture is highly emphasized from recruiting to the on-boarding processes, but gradually, you realize that was a facade. The company is growing too fast without the right processes and leadership in place, and the result is a chaotic culture of putting out fires every day.

A few months back, they told their employees to give good reviews on glassdoor to boost ratings.
    Check out the trend in August & October to see a "sudden" spike in approval...

Advice to Management

Rather than marketing it as a great place to work and having a great culture, provide support and develop your employees. Pay your talented employees what they deserve, don't condescend the younger employees in the company, and recognize that all departments are equal (Engineering and Sales do not make up a business)

We Put the "Fun" In Dysfunctional. Some of the Time.

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Apttus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

In many ways, Apttus is the most exciting place I've worked. It's super fast paced, super high-energy, super crazy. And the whole thing is powered by an incredible market opportunity that's real, and palpable. In my day-to-day life I work with some incredibly intelligent, first-class people, who have a lot of big ideas, and big vision. I truly do think the company is poised in just the right place for a big IPO or buy-out down the road, which makes the stock exciting too.

Cons

The politics and drama here are mind-blowing. I don't even know where to start. First, the nepotism. It's resulted in a whole team of overpaid party girls with an unchecked budget, who literally throw events and buy matching outfits while other departments struggle to get the resources they need to perform. This team is essentially the face of the company, and we're widely known in the industry for this group, and the butt of jokes, which is tough to deal with.

Then there is my personal struggles with the company, which mostly center around work/life balance, and lack of compensation. I make 30% less than market rate, but work 60 hours a week. At the same time, I'm struggling to scale my programs, and the only option for resources is to take a few of the 80 fresh-out-of-school college grads we hired (which is part of a program implemented so that we can save money on new hires, and funnel more money through our party team.) The other problem with our "fresh out of school" hiring strategy is that we don't properly train the people we hire, we throw them in the pit to fend for themselves, and then we fire them for under-performing and "not getting it." It's brutal, and pretty ridiculous considering our first "core value" is "respect people." Often, the people doing the real work are underpaid, underappreciated, and made to feel like they should be grateful for the opportunity to be at Apttus, so there is a lot of turnover. And turnover of key roles, which has made it tough to leverage our connections to grow the business.

Overall, I would say Apttus has a real "everything rolls downhill" kind of culture, so don't let yourself be at the bottom. (Although execs are fired just for disagreeing with the CEO and some of the personal choices he's made which, unfortunately, have negatively impacted the company.) There are plenty of personal attacks and tears when deals are lost or events are poorly attended . . . and the inflexible, cheap, arrogant approach doesn't just stop with employees - - in a lot of cases, CUSTOMERS say they didn't buy us or didn't renew because we were so arrogant. Essentially, "You had the best product, but we couldn't partner with you."

1. Founders need to go. They are not scaling with the company. And the 'turning a blind eye' to the executive philandering and nepotism is beginning to impact the business.

2. "Doing more" isn't the answer. We need to focus. Especially if we want to scale. It's impossible to deliver "Tier One Everything" (our other guiding principal) when the workload is beyond the pale of reason, and resources are divided as thinly as they are.

3. Try actually respecting people. Pay a fair wage. Make sure resources go to the right places. Stop stringing along new hires for months, forcing people to work for contract positions when they are effectively full-time employees, and firing key players for personal disagreements with the leadership.

4. Get over yourself. There are other places to work in the Valley. And people will start to go there unless real leadership is put into place.

Great energy, Intelligent and Enthusiastic Workforce but 2nd Rate Management

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Apttus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great energy, enthusiasm, young and hungry professionals - hardworking and diligent

Cons

Founders are the bottleneck. They tend to micromanage and meddle with experienced professionals from making effective decisions.

Try respecting the workforce for a change.
    Founders should leave for the company to scale and to take it public..

Rocketship? NOPE.

I worked at Apttus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Is well positioned in the Salesforce ecosystem. Seems to be more about marketing than actual products nowdays.

Cons

Management fluctuates from inept to unethical. Burning through people and cash at astonishing pace with nothing to show for it except an overburdened HR/recruiter team. Will flame out. From what I gather, not many people make their quotas.

Lose the "old guard" especially in the dev teams. Sales seems to be treated like a joke, I would not want to get berated weekly like they do. PS teams are overburdened and not equipped.

2 Months in working at Apttus

Current Employee - Strategic Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Strategic Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Apttus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Fast paced, great products and all the support you could wish for. Apttus is growth stage and more mature in its processes than a typical company of it's size. Everyone is in it to win it which is evident by the companies success.

Cons

Working at Apttus is not like working for a large company where things are sluggish and gain no attention. If you expect to have people do things for you and work in a "government type" job this is not the place for you.

Keep doing what your doing. You have build a great company and the market for Q2C is ready for us to win.

Don't believe the hype

I worked at Apttus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great marketing and positioning within the Salesforce ecosystem. They've really taken the platform to new heights. Combing a native contract management and configure-price-quote into one solution has been a great selling point. There are some great managers in key spots.

Cons

Oh my; where do I begin. It is such a dumpster fire. In no particular order:
    1. Absolutely no work life balance. Apttus is expected to be your life. Period.
    2. Sub par compensation and they often do not or find ways to not pay their sales people commissions.
    3. One of their core values is "people first" or some such. It's a farce and a blame culture.
    4. Resources are funneled to the wrong parts of the business. Case and point; more money is spent on marketing and a group of young college girls throwing parties than there is in development or support.
    5. Sales rarely makes quota due to lack of resources, people and a product that very often falls on its face. Turn over is high, as is burn-out.
    6. Blame culture; don't be in the wrong place at the wrong time. You'll probably get fired or put on plan for no discernible reason.
    7. Apttus is never going public. They do not have the leadership in place to do so, nevermind the revenue or even programs that scale to take them to those heights. Recruiters will pitch you hard on this; it's not happening. A buy-out is their best option.
    8. Incredibly over-burdened management. Many are very talented and great to work for, but all are player-coaches and far beyond their own means to effectively manage. Do not expect much in the way of mentoring, coaching or even help. Further, they are often hamstrung by short-sighted senior leadership.

In short; if you value your dignity, self respect, work life balance and ability to be upwardly mobile, Apttus is not the place.

Successful and lauded companies all have a work life balance and a team of people that like their management and the company for which they work. Apttus is anything but. The nepotism needs to stop.

Company could be great

I worked at Apttus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Terrific quote to cash vision
    Strong contract management product
    Maturing configure price quote product

Cons

Not enough developers to deliver on the vision
    Large customers are dominating the road map and strategic features are being delayed
    Not a good work environment; lots of finger pointing and inability to address root-cause issues
    Will never be a "Top 50 Places to Work"...very flawed culture.

Trust the leaders that you've brought into the company and let them do their job, if they don't hold them accountable, stop the micro-management
    There are serious, yet addressable, issues going on within your company...get some outside senior leadership help and get out of the way.

Rocketship getting ready for implosion

Current Employee - Professional Services
    Current Employee - Professional Services

I have been working at Apttus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good co-workers, good product
    average compensation and benefits
    good training

Cons

I have been with the company for over a year. Good CLM product. The CPQ product needs a lot of improvement.
    Bad management in delivering projects. Highly inexperienced people are running the show. They're hiding their inexperience by politicizing the whole place. A lot of B players hiring C and D players which further demoralizes the daily working environment. This is a rocketship but it's headed for implosion. I'll be heading out in 2 weeks. Good luck.

Hire A players
    Value and Respect employees
    Set a positive culture
    Act like professionals

Growing Fast. Maybe too fast?

Current Employee - Implementation Manager
    Current Employee - Implementation Manager

I have been working at Apttus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Scheduling is great. Hours might be too long for some folks. Leadership has it's quirks to work out, but they need to pick up the pace.

Cons

Cramped, loud, work-work-work!.
    Although my personal growth has risen, it doesn't seem likely it will stay on that path.

Slow down on the hiring and focus on the people you currently have. We are at a good spot in the growing process, but ya'll need to slow down with the increase in new employees. The learning curve is rigorous where the stable employees can't work with the newbies.