Aqua America Reviews

Updated March 12, 2015
23 reviews filtered by
2.7
Aqua America Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, Aqua Pennsylvania Nicholas DeBenedictis
Nicholas DeBenedictis

1. Very pleased operator

Current Employee - Plant Operator in White Haven, PA
    Current Employee - Plant Operator in White Haven, PA

I have been working at Aqua America

Pros

- flexibility
    - friendly and warm work environment
    - supervisor support
    - lack of micromanaging
    - reimbursement for expenses, including licensure
    - availability of resources to do the job efficiently
    - benefits and pay
    - perks and bonuses

Cons

- unplanned overtime on occasion (unavoidable given the nature of the job)
    - onboarding process can be a little overwhelming

Advice to Management

My only advice would be to streamline the onboarding information. It is overwhelming and hard to keep everything straight or find information when you need it. I.e. Red Carpet, iPay, HRConnect, InfoStream, Compliance Wire, Health Advocate, T.Rowe Price, company email, etc.

2. I loved my job.

Former Employee - Utility Worker in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Utility Worker in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Aqua America

Pros

Good benefits and safety minded.

Cons

Sold water lines to city, laid me off.

Advice to Management

Value your employees.

Great People

I worked at Aqua America

Pros

Flexible work schedule, awesome employees and kind senior management

Cons

unsure of where the company is going with retirement of current CEO

5. 1ST TIME LEVEL MANAGERS DISRESPECT EMPLOYEES & CUSTOMERS DAILY! $@& U HAVE 2 BE COOL W/ THEM TO GET IN..

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kankakee, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kankakee, IL

I have been working at Aqua America

Pros

Getting a pay check

Cons

Managers spread things around the office, that were told to them in confidentiality. Talk/laugh about employees while on the floor. Reps mute customers to curse aloud! Ghetto fabulous up in here!

Advice to Management

Your a joke. Its hateful,mean,and disgusting how u act and treat people in the office.corporate doesnt care.
    Where they do this at??

6. This Company SUCKS to Work for!!! Micromanaging Jerks...... Scared of this NAZI Company & Looking for another job..

Current Employee - Operations in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Operations in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Aqua America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a Check / and Not to good of one at that....Especially for the amount of responsibility we have...

Cons

Micromanage the Crap out of the Workers... Worse company I have EVER worked for... Very Disrespectful & Nasty to the Employees!! U R Just a Number.... Always Threatening Employees... Treat us Like Children? Over Worked by FAR!! They want the work of 3 Men out of 1 Man... Always have to work right through your breaks & Lunch Break? If you get a job with this company you Will have NO LIFE or Time for your Family... They want ALL the Work done but then They make you feel like you are stealing hours off them when u turn in your Hrs.... on call 24/7 Morale with "ALL" of my co workers is Very Low..... There is NO TRUST or Respect with this company...............

Advice to Management

Get your Heads out of your BUTT's ALREADY!! TRUST your Employees!! Especially The TOP Notch Worker's...., Stop The Micro Manage BS Already..... Listen to your Employees..."WE R AQUA"... We are the ones out in the Field On Holidays & Weekends....on call 24/7..NOT YOU!!

7. Too Old School

Former Employee - Human Resrouces in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resrouces in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Aqua America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Convenient location. Close to restaurants.

Cons

Very old school. Owners not open to new ideas!
    Poor benefits, compensation.
    Real tension between union and non-union staff
    Top talent definitely not selected.
    Not good place for work life balance - no flexibility!

8. Rotten From the Inside Out

I have been working at Aqua America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Steady paycheck
    -8-5 work schedule
    -Pay is decent (but not really worth the stress that goes with it)

Cons

-No respect for work/life balance
    -No accountability
    -Will change your schedule with little to no notice including making employees work through lunch for mandatory overtime
    -Workload imbalanced
    -Poor leadership
    -Cowardly management
    -No advancement opportunities
    -Shady, unethical and immoral business practices
    -Outdated and impractical technology
    -Employee favoritism
    -Inadequate training
    -Management are like slave drivers
    -High stress environment with no parameters in place to help employees cope
    -No workforce management
    -HR is in one central location so no one around to explain benefits or other HR related concerns

Advice to Management

RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN! I have worked in many different places over the years and I have never seen anything as disorganized, dysfunctional and devilish as this place. Whether you are are a potential employee or worse, a potential customer, get as far away from Aqua America as possible. As a current employee knowing the business practices this company adheres to, I wouldn't live anywhere that Aqua America services even if someone provided me a house to live in for FREE! Aqua provides minimal service upgrades yet jacks the rates up regularly. A good percentage of the customers live in low income areas. Aqua is a monopoly so there is no competition for the service so they charge what they want. They turn off people's water unjustly then charge them astronomical prices to get their service restored. The water quality is terrible. There's always an outage. Customer complaints go unresolved and unheard. The goal is to exhaust the customer so they just don't fight anymore and go along with it. Afterall, it's not like cell phone service or cable tv where you can explore other options. If they provide service to your address they are your only option unless of course you want to dig your own well. They are well aware of this and treat their customers like crap. Aqua makes mistakes that lead to customers being shut off but then belittles the customer. Customers are treated like dead beats. There are several system and procedural glitches that go unresolved which negatively impact the customer. As a customer service rep be prepared to be cursed out daily by customers due to the poor company image. Management does not provide any assistance or real support. Probably because they are too busy breathing down their employees necks like slave drivers and obsessing over stats instead of promoting good, thorough customer service. They would rather you get the customer off of the phone in 2-3 minutes and have the customer call back a dozen times about the same issue as opposed to taking 10 minutes to help the customer thoroughly so they don't have to call back. Everyone I know at AA is stressed out and actively seeking employment elsewhere.

9. Needs a major upgrade

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bryn Mawr, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bryn Mawr, PA

I have been working at Aqua America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A paycheck, decent hours, ok benefits

Cons

Management is horrible, training is horrible, opportunity to advance, under paid for doing a 3 person job. Procedures horrible, customer service bad, this company needs a full upgrade asap.

Advice to Management

Build a new team, more advancement, better pay, more flexibility, listen to your employees. Help the customers better,

10. Sinking Ship

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bryn Mawr, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bryn Mawr, PA

I worked at Aqua America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company provides you with lots of AQUA branded "stuff" in lieu of full time hours with benefits. They will gladly invite you to the AQUA picnic or special events such as "Walk at work Wednesdays"

Cons

Micromanaging call center bosses that do not listen to or respect their employees. Training is inconsistent and incomplete. The company has little to no interest in actually addressing a customer's problems, only with getting them off the phone. Customer Service reps are actually encouraged to hang up on customers and are reprimanded for seeking assistance with complex issues.

Advice to Management

Stop judging your employees by how short their calls are. When an employee has an issue, listen to what he has to say.

11. Awesome

I have been working at Aqua America

Pros

Everything great company to work for

Cons

None but could be better