Aquent

Aquent Co-Founder and CEO John H. Chuang

John H. Chuang

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Aquent Review

User Experience Design Dev (Current Employee)
Redmond, WA

I have been working at Aquent as a contractor for more than a year

ProsAquent, a tech staffing company offers positive and committed staff who were readily available on campus, and keep in touch with you via email. They offer free training courses both onsite and online for your career which were generally pretty good.

ConsWhen I last ended a contract, I didn't see much action from them with interviews, and ended up going to another agency. Also, it would have been nice to see more action on their part towards vendor placement. In Washington state, companies are required to limit contract work to one year. Vendors do not have the same limitation.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefinitely screen anyone who may be teaching a course at your offices. I had a bad experience with the HTML5 CSS3 course you offered in the spring of 2012. The instructor was not as prepared when we actually came to the coding section.

Great staffing company to work for

Web Professional (Current Employee)
Redmond, WA

I have been working at Aquent full-time for more than a year

ProsCompared to other contractors at my work location where 3 others are from other agencies, Aquent seems the best. Their health care pkg is better than what most companies offer to full-time employees. Low cost health care plan w/ a major health care provider, HSA, Commuter SA etc.
And they pay to their contractors weekly.

ConsOther agency people get paid on company holidays (Christmas, July 4th, Thanksgiving etc.). But Aquent doesn't. If you are assigned to a work place w/ Christmas and New Years week shut down, for example, you don't get paid for 1 to 1.5 weeks. Financially tough holiday season...At least, they should pay to long-term contractors when Aquent offices are closed for holidays because we work for them 40 hrs a week too.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be nicer if they offer 401K matching.

Nice people, ok benefits

Media Author III (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aquent full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRecruiters and resource managers are generally nice. Environment is good at the position they placed me in and in general it seems like they care about my well being.

ConsThey take a large cut of your money like most staffing agencies do.
Benefits are only ok.
No vacation time.
No bonuses for hours worked.
No sick days.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees sick days and vacation so they can continue making you free money.

First contract job

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Aquent

ProsAquent was fine to work for but their impact is minimal. All really depends on the hiring manager at MSFT

ConsAs a contractor/consultant, they seem to be focused:on Microsoft and there are limited opportunities with other companies. I hear they are working to change this but haven't seen the results

Contract Technical Writing

Technical Writer II (Former Employee)

I worked at Aquent

ProsBetter than average benefits for a contract agency.

ConsNo growth, you have to provide your own opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet a standard rate for raises based on contract experience.

Contracting would be a good long-term career choice -- if it didn't provide Sicko quality healthcare.

Senior Technical Writer (aka Tech Writer 3) (Current Employee)
Redmond, WA

I have been working at Aquent

ProsThe pay is good (if you fight for it). The opportunities to learn new technology while working onsite at Microsoft are good.

ConsSicko quality heathcare. Each time you start a new contract, you have to prove yourself from square one (which is the definition of a contractor, so I'm not really complaining, but it's not everyone's cup of tea).

Advice to Senior ManagementHire recruiters that know what a server operating system is. Ask contractors for their feedback on each Microsoft group they work for (some are excellent; others suck).

Good benefits, horrible pay.

Media Production Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Aquent

ProsGood benefits package. Medical, dental, & vision. They have a bonus plan for every 1000-1500 hours work (depending on where you work) you get a paycheck for a full 52 hours

ConsWill try to sucker you for a low wage. The drawback to the bonus plan is that this is a work around for vacation time. Basically, you don't get any unless you request off. However, if you take a day off, you don't get paid for it. Minor drawback, but still... Certain employees are very hard to get a hold of when you have an issue. Be sure that you stand firm with your pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up to employees more. Research your pay scales!

Worked for Aquent? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aquent reviews and ratings in Redmond, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aquent CEO John H. Chuang. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Aquent employees.