Aquent

Aquent Reviews in Redmond, WA

3.9

Aquent Co-Founder and CEO John H. Chuang
John H. Chuang

Pros
  • They're flexible with your schedule and work life balance is important to most teams (in 18 reviews)

• The benefits are great for salaried employees and there seem to be opportunities for learning and development if you seek them out (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Microsoft also treats contractors differently than their full time employees (FTEs) (in 5 reviews)

• High turnover of agents, A very pushy company who seems to ditch the talent once they're placed in a job (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

7 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Aquent Review

Current Contractor - User Experience Design Dev in Redmond, WA
    Current Contractor - User Experience Design Dev in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Aquent as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Aquent, a tech staffing company offers positive and committed staff who were readily available on campus, and keep in touch with you via email. They offer free training courses both onsite and online for your career which were generally pretty good.

Cons

When I last ended a contract, I didn't see much action from them with interviews, and ended up going to another agency. Also, it would have been nice to see more action on their part towards vendor placement. In Washington state, companies are required to limit contract work to one year. Vendors do not have the same limitation.

Definitely screen anyone who may be teaching a course at your offices. I had a bad experience with the HTML5 CSS3 course you offered in the spring of 2012. The instructor was not as prepared when we actually came to the coding section.

Great staffing company to work for

Current Employee - Web Professional in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Web Professional in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Aquent full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compared to other contractors at my work location where 3 others are from other agencies, Aquent seems the best. Their health care pkg is better than what most companies offer to full-time employees. Low cost health care plan w/ a major health care provider, HSA, Commuter SA etc.
    And they pay to their contractors weekly.

Cons

Other agency people get paid on company holidays (Christmas, July 4th, Thanksgiving etc.). But Aquent doesn't. If you are assigned to a work place w/ Christmas and New Years week shut down, for example, you don't get paid for 1 to 1.5 weeks. Financially tough holiday season...At least, they should pay to long-term contractors when Aquent offices are closed for holidays because we work for them 40 hrs a week too.

Would be nicer if they offer 401K matching.

Nice people, ok benefits

Current Employee - Media Author III in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Media Author III in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Aquent full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Recruiters and resource managers are generally nice. Environment is good at the position they placed me in and in general it seems like they care about my well being.

Cons

They take a large cut of your money like most staffing agencies do.
    Benefits are only ok.
    No vacation time.
    No bonuses for hours worked.
    No sick days.

Give your employees sick days and vacation so they can continue making you free money.

First contract job

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Aquent

Pros

Aquent was fine to work for but their impact is minimal. All really depends on the hiring manager at MSFT

Cons

As a contractor/consultant, they seem to be focused:on Microsoft and there are limited opportunities with other companies. I hear they are working to change this but haven't seen the results

Contract Technical Writing

Former Employee - Technical Writer II in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Aquent

Pros

Better than average benefits for a contract agency.

Cons

No growth, you have to provide your own opportunities.

Set a standard rate for raises based on contract experience.

Contracting would be a good long-term career choice -- if it didn't provide Sicko quality healthcare.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer (Aka Tech Writer 3) in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer (Aka Tech Writer 3) in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Aquent

Pros

The pay is good (if you fight for it). The opportunities to learn new technology while working onsite at Microsoft are good.

Cons

Sicko quality heathcare. Each time you start a new contract, you have to prove yourself from square one (which is the definition of a contractor, so I'm not really complaining, but it's not everyone's cup of tea).

Hire recruiters that know what a server operating system is. Ask contractors for their feedback on each Microsoft group they work for (some are excellent; others suck).

Good benefits, horrible pay.

Former Employee - Media Production Specialist in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Media Production Specialist in Redmond, WA

I worked at Aquent

Pros

Good benefits package. Medical, dental, & vision. They have a bonus plan for every 1000-1500 hours work (depending on where you work) you get a paycheck for a full 52 hours

Cons

Will try to sucker you for a low wage. The drawback to the bonus plan is that this is a work around for vacation time. Basically, you don't get any unless you request off. However, if you take a day off, you don't get paid for it. Minor drawback, but still... Certain employees are very hard to get a hold of when you have an issue. Be sure that you stand firm with your pay.

Open up to employees more. Research your pay scales!

Aquent Photos