Aquent

www.aquent.com
Employer Engaged

Solid Company, Confused Leadership

I worked at Aquent full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart, passionate employees.
    Flexible work schedule (including telecommuting)
    Fair salary
    Willing to give employees opportunities
    Managers listen to feedback and try to adjust if possible

Cons

Frequent change in strategy / direction from upper management
    Approval and feedback is slow - everyone wants a say in every decision
    Despite more responsibility, there is a limit you can hit with your career

Keep decisions / forecasts well-thought-out, and final. Every change in direction is a dent in confidence for your employees.

Great for the in between FT jobs and also long-term contracts.

Current Contractor - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Aquent as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great clients, top-notch clients. Decent pay and health benefits. The online system is very good. They also offer some free training.

Cons

No vacation. They used to have it after a certain number of working hours but took it away. Some of the agents can be very unresponsive. They seem to be very inconsistent with the level of engagement.

Consider doing vacation time again.

"Set it and forget it" mentality

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Aquent as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I've worked as "talent" for over a year.

I work with some incredibly talented people in my current assignment. If nothing else, Aquent excels at finding talented, dynamic people and placing them in environments where they can excel.

Cons

Zero vacation/paid time off - this means that you take a financial hit for every company holiday, sick day, personal day, sick day, etc. Benefits are available, but at an astronomical cost if you're not single and need more than incredibly limited basic coverage.

"Set it and forget it" : sure, some agents will attempt to maintain contact through office visits, occasional talent lunches and events; however, they fail when tasked with providing something more tangible. Ask for a raise/performance bonus or if you'll ever be hired in? You might as well be asking them to conquer Rome with nothing more than a handful of wet noodles, and don't expect to hear anything but standard corporate b.s. double-speak in response.

Also plan to expect incredibly different treatment as "agency" vs. "employee." Employees at the company where you're assigned will receive bonuses, raises, and other "perks" while agency people can expect none of this. Employees are family; "agency" people are the third-cousin twice-removed that everyone begrudgingly accepts.

Vacation time/PTO. Affordable and decent benefits packages. Re-evaluation of compensation after one year.

It's the little things that make the biggest difference, and often mean the difference between keeping and losing the talent you claim to value so much.

Aquent really cares about it's talent and employees

I have been working at Aquent full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Incredible benefits - medical, dental, vision, vacation. Aquent is truly concerned about it's employees and contractors. Contractors have the option of great medical benefits through Aquent as well. People are very passionate about achieving their goals. Knowledgeable managers, VPs & SVPs.

Cons

Not sure about senior level managements level of commitment. We hear from our President from time to time but not the CEO. I think if John was a bit more involved with higher level discussions with companies we do business with, we would be much further ahead.

Hi John - please get more involved with higher level discussions with our top companies that we are trying to establish a stronger partnership with. It will go a long way! If you really want us to land the big fish, should we use the biggest, shiniest lure?

You really should be looking at Aquent

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Aquent as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

AMAZING Health Benefits! BEST I've had and they pay you for every hour you work towards them.
    Great stable of clients they work with Staples, TJX, Hasbro, CVS just to name a few. GREAT hourly rates close to what you might get if you freelance on your own.

Cons

Many candidates so can be hard to be identified by the recruiters at first, but as noted, once perform well you are looked out for.

Didn't really work for me

I have been working at Aquent

Pros

If you have a lot of experience in the few things they advertise, you'd probably get a lot of work.

Cons

The agents are not interested in developing talent at all. Though my technical reviewer said that the agent would give me suggestions for buffing up my resume for current client requirements, she refused to answer my questions about skills I might try to acquire to make me a more attract candidate.

Great place to work - good people and a relaxed atmosphere

I worked at Aquent

Pros

The people are fantastically smart and dedicated. There are simply no office politics (none that I saw) and people are very helpful and caring toward one another.

Cons

Not much communication from above; it was hard to know what the overall company vision was

Good pay, benefits, and placement

Former Contractor - Digital Producer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Contractor - Digital Producer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Aquent as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Aquent found a nice job for me in my field at a good pay rate. They also offer benefits like a regular employer.
    My agent regularly checked in with me and was readily available for questions. Since a bunch of Aquent contractors were at my company, they took us to lunch a few times, which was really nice, as well as scheduled coffee check-ins.

Cons

I did not experience any cons.

Great experience if you work with a good recruiter

Former Contractor - Graphic Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Graphic Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Aquent as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

There are great recruiters who really take the time to understand what your skills are and match you with the best jobs. Others don't seem to have that skill or commitment. They have a good variety of jobs.

Cons

If you get a bad recruiter, then it's hard to find a good job match. I'd recommend asking for a new recruiter if the one you're working with doesn't seem to be helping you find a job.

There is no paid time off, no matter how long you work on contracts for Aquent. I appreciate the great health benefits, but would like to see some paid time off after 6 months or a year.

Good place to work,

I have been working at Aquent full-time

Pros

Startup like environment. Friendly colleagues.

Cons

Less opportunity to grow on a technical path.

Aquent Photos