Aquilent

David Fout

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place to Work

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Laurel, MD

ProsWas fun and exciting - high profile projects with great clients. Very professional and driven to build their team. Very capable management team.

ConsLimited opportunities for my specific skill set at the time (that's since changed). Upper management was a little cliquish - but that's not uncommon in this type of firm (contract shop)

Advice to Senior ManagementBroaden your Sr. Management team

Your team and manager make all the difference

User Experience Track (Former Employee) Laurel, MD

ProsWork is diverse and interesting, compensation is pretty good for the industry. Company has traditionally had a family feel where it is easy to have congenial relationships with HR, IT, other groups, etc. Champions cutting edge technology when possible, always looking forward. Very flexible schedules are possible as well as telecommuting.

ConsCompany is growing really fast and culture can't keep up. Although they espouse ethical behavior, it really depends on who the AD is, what the project is, and where the money is at. Senior Management says one things, but clearly champions keeping the money rolling in rather than drinking their own koolaid of only accepting the "right" kind of clients. If you have a good manager and team, things are GREAT! If you are on a crazy project or have ineffectual managers, you are screwed. There is less stability than they say--if your project ends there is no guarantee that you will be moved to another team or if you are that you will be doing what you really want to do. Again, it all comes down to your managers and who advocates for you. Aquilent assumed very little risk during the government shutdown--if your project was shut down you had use your own vacation or go into the hole and then not get paid. This seems unfair for a company that only works with the federal government.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate whether or not you are actually living the non-negotiable traits and that they are spreading downward. Retool the bonus structure so the worker bees can get more of a share (the metrics are heavily skewed towards upper management, especially Grow Aquilent criteria). Create and advertise a more formal project transfer project, hold managers who have unhappy teams accountable for work environment.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

One of the worst employers I've ever had the unfortunate experience of dealing with

Senior Technical Consultant (Former Employee) Laurel, MD

ProsThey have a gym for employees to use.

ConsManagement is absolutely clueless about software development --especially their CTO. Aquilent hires developers and their CTO is so afraid of having them write software that they get stuck doing mindless tasks or fighting with technology that was never meant to be customized. The biggest problem is their CTO and the clique other folks have mentioned. They're so confident in their opinions, yet have a track record of failure. They're the biggest group of narcissists I've ever had the unfortunate experience of working with.

There are few growth opportunities unless you join the mindless drones that already live in their management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your head out of your a**, fire your CTO and build something for your clients that doesn't suck the life out of tax payers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Technical Consultant

Senior Technical Consultant (Former Employee) Laurel, MD

ProsCompetitive salary, excellent benefits including PTOs, reasonable health insurance, and tuition reimbursement. Got some really talented IT people working in the company. Lot of events for the employee to participate and have fun.

ConsPoor HR department who have no clue on how to retain the good employees by allocating the resources properly. Short-sighted directors who never present the accurate situation of the project to the upper management, which results in frustrated employees who actually do the real work. After hour events are fun but only for those socialize and for those who have no family to deal with. The "GrowAquilent" idea is badly damaging the relationship between the employees and the company. Everyone knows that it does not work but the executives seem to be deluded that it has been a success.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what actually works for the employees as they are the real assets. Not the numbers nor the pretty powerpoint.slides in the annual meetings.

Invisible Leadership Team

Lead Business Consultant (Current Employee) Laurel, MD

ProsFlexible work schedule. Solid benefits package. Wonderful colleagues that go the extra mile. Competitive salary. Financially stable with steady growth.

ConsSenior leadership does not engage with the staff--an occasional "all hands" is not interacting. They are clueless as to the experiences, difficulties those "on the ground" are dealing with. HR is invisible.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just depend on the quarterly reporting from the AD and PM. They will NEVER tell you the truth if it impacts how they are perceived. Reach out to those actually working with the client for some real answers.

I've been with Aquilent 3.5 years as a Project Manager.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Laurel, MD

ProsGreat benefits, good salary, work and family life balance and flexibility. I disagree with many of the con comments out here. Work is what you make it. This is an innovative solution company - of course you need to be proactive about your career. You might have to work on some projects that you don't like, but if you perform well, you will move on to another project with more challenging opportunities. But you have to go after the work, let your interests be known, show your talent. There are so many opportunities here to work in different aspects of the business and build your experience portfolio. It's very dynamic.

ConsCome now, the grass is always greener on the other side. The important part is that they listen to the bad and work to improve it. Having been here for more than three years, I see growth everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work. Oh.. maybe one thing... healthier food options in the refresh zone maybe. I love being able to grab a snack in the middle of the day without leaving the office but I'm so tempted by the candy, chocolate, etc. The sandwiches often taste soggy. I don't think your supposed to refrigerate toast. That's the best I can come up with! Onward and Upward!

excellent environment

Technical Consultant (Current Employee) Laurel, MD

ProsIt has work/life balance, and we are creating Great products. People here are great and know what they are doing. Great supervisor. Good for mid-career.

ConsIt is expanding so fast that it becomes harder to recruit top people

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you are doing

A good company for go-getters.

Creative (Former Employee) Laurel, MD

ProsI spent five fairly happy years at Aquilent, and I learned a great deal from my colleagues. The company is just small enough that you can feel like you're making a difference *if* you're willing to put in the work and reach beyond your job description. If you get involved in Business Development there, then you've got it made. The culture is very collegial. The consultants there are very bright, but you don't get a lot of hyper-inflated egos.

ConsIf you're not careful, you can find yourself body-shopped onto a long-term drudge gig.

One of the members of the senior leadership is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. He can be nice to you one day and then really insulting the next.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet Dr. Jeckyll some better medication.

Senior Business Consultant

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Laurel, MD

ProsCo-workers, HR team, ethical company, culture, benefits, track record of success. I was actually compelled to write a review because my experience has not at all reflected some of the other reviews on this site. The environment / culture may not for everyone. I find it very rewarding to work with such smart, driven and helpful people.

ConsNeed for better communication throughout the company

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to find ways to include more employees in corporate inititatives

Unprofessional Management...

Senior Business Consultant (Former Employee) Laurel, MD

ProsHR team was great! Some of my former co-workers were top notch. A few interesting projects and decent work. Nothing cutting edge for sure and only the long time employees get a shot at the good work despite some of their lack of high end work experience.

ConsIt is a good ole boy atmosphere. Great if you like that sort of management style and coworker attitude. Not everyone, but the long time employees there are very reluctant to engage newer employees. I was told it was because they let go new people when there isn't enough work which is often. Very stifling office atmosphere in Laurel as not many people talk to one another and the location is ghetto. A lot of promises made but very little kept by management and they go after work without the talent to perform the work. A sweatshop in disguise and once I figured that out I got out. It is the trailer park of IT service companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere do I start? You should know something is wrong with your approach when there is such a high turnover rate.

Worked for Aquilent? Contribute to the Community!