Arabella Advisors Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
9 reviews filtered by
2.8
CEO

The best job I've ever had!

I have been working at Arabella Advisors

Pros

Arabella's leadership cares deeply about impact as well as the professional growth and development of its staff. The owners' goal is for Arabella to be "the best job staff have ever had". It is a bold goal and one that trickles down and influences key management decisions. During my tenure, my colleagues and I have benefited from this priority. We have felt valued and invested in and been offered opportunities for significant growth, development and promotion.

While there has been some turnover at the firm, particularly at the junior level, it is to be expected. Those who have left the firm have gone off to do great things, in part due to the hard and soft skills they were able to develop during their time at Arabella.

Cons

Arabella is a fast growing firm and at times it has been challenging to keep up with that growth. As a learning organization, the leadership has put in place better systems in order to plan and manage for growth in the future.

2. Not Recommended

I worked at Arabella Advisors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Good perks (flexible hours, happy hours, etc)
    - Interesting clients

Cons

- No work-life balance
    - Top heavy, little opportunity to move up for junior staff
    - Echoing another reviewer in that confidence trumps knowledge which leads to poor managers (this affects all lines of business and departments)
    - Brown nosers are noticed, hard workers are mostly ignored

3. Exhausting

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Arabella Advisors

Pros

Nice benefits, nice location and great vision.

Cons

Inability to accept all and differences, extremely homogenous

Open your mindset.

Well-intentioned company that needs to be honest with itself

I worked at Arabella Advisors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Strong emphasis on professional development and work-life balance
    - Committed, passionate colleagues
    - Emphasis on forming positive relationships outside of work (i.e. Happy Hours, annual retreat in Washington D.C.)

Cons

- Arabella is overly risk-averse and plays it safe. Struggles to win innovative consulting projects and relies too heavily on projects from returning clients. The resulting work is not always stimulating nor dynamic for everyone on a project team and there is often not enough substantive work to go around. Projects are also often incredibly over-staffed, which contributes to the process-heavy feel of the way Arabella operates.
    - Inept management (read: heavy micromanagement), coupled with a pervasive lack of trust has led to frustrations over a lack of autonomy across the firm. Assumes that you will mess up until you have proven yourself many times over. Additionally, mid-level and even senior-level management treats junior-level staff as a commodity and does not know always know how to engage them as a genuine thought partner in project-related work.

- Genuinely listen to staff concerns and show a sincere commitment to wanting to address them. Demonstrate an interest in the longevity and success of every person's tenure at Arabella.
    - Allow all levels of staff to contribute their unique skills, talents, and perspectives to the work that they do. Set an example for the rest of the firm and trust your staff and provide them with the autonomy and resources to allow them to succeed.
    - Provide more comprehensive management training to staff who are new to management positions. Ensure that they know how to engage with and cultivate new skills in those that they work with.

Great for a few, so-so for the rest.

I have been working at Arabella Advisors

Pros

Smart, dedicated colleagues; high-profile clients; flexible work options

Cons

High turnover and low salaries among junior-level staff. Little concern over either of these. Lack of diversity in terms of race, socio-economic backgrounds, and working styles. Overly process-heavy, risk-averse culture. Favoritism and senior management that values and rewards certain personality types above others.

Arabella promotes the idea of investing in their staff and making it the 'best place they'll ever work'. Good intentions, but unattainable until junior-level staff are no longer perceived and treated as as expendable.

Good Intentions, Poor Execution

I worked at Arabella Advisors full-time

Pros

The best parts about working at Arabella are the mission-driven environment and working with colleagues who are smart, interesting, and committed to social impact.

Cons

The company has experienced significant turnover throughout the last year, especially among junior staff which is worrisome for a younger company. Culture has transitioned from entrepreneurial and nimble to stagnant and process-heavy. Senior management consistently confuses confidence for competence, leading to a number of promotions and development opportunities for those with limited experience and skills.

Listen to staff suggestions and concerns in order to be proactive about rising issues and address recurring themes. To date, management has ignored two main issues at the firm: retention (across all levels, but particularly among junior staff) and the utter lack of diversity.

8. Great work environment, challenging and rewarding work

I have been working at Arabella Advisors full-time

Pros

Arabella works on important social issues and is able to make an impact on them. My colleagues are very bright, committed, collaborative and fun. The firm has grown tremendously, providing lots of opportunities for growth for staff and is always open to ideas for improving. I also enjoy some very generous benefits and flexibility, which I really value.

Cons

Sometimes we have to work hard - as consultants our work is cyclical. But there are also quieter times too.

I work with incredibly smart and driven colleagues in an environment that supports my continued growth.

I have been working at Arabella Advisors full-time

Pros

Colleagues, energetic culture, a focus on individual development, work-life fit matters here, mission-driven focus.

Cons

There are some weeks when you need to put in extra hours to meet deadlines, but it all balances out in the end. It's very life-friendly.

So-so place to work

I have been working at Arabella Advisors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good, work-life balance is fine, colleagues are generally nice and very smart people. Collegial environment.

Cons

Clear lack of diversity. Very homogenous in terms of race, class, and personality-even more striking at senior management level. There is definitely a culture of favoritism where people are rewarded based on how well-liked they are by senior staff, even if their work is sub-par. Several people have advanced because they have seniority, not necessarily because they're the most competent in their roles, yet they act and are treated like superstars (much to the dismay of those who actually work with them). It's a top-heavy organization, where the people at the top are pretty comfortable in their perch and out of touch with the dynamics and satisfaction among junior and mid-level staff.

Recruit more diverse people, learn to value diverse work styles and personalities, and reassess how you promote and reward people. If you talked to junior and mid-level staff, it would be obvious which senior staff are over-rated.

Arabella Advisors Photos

Entryway to the new DC office

+ Add Photo