Aramark Higher Education

Be The First To
Add Photos

Aramark Higher Education President Chris Hackem

Chris Hackem

Pros:
  • "Flexible Hours, Level of Creativity, Co-Workers"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Strong organization, well funded, good benefits"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "upper management was only about the bottom line, work a large staff with part timers'"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Not much work-life balance if you are salaried"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits for salaried managers. Company has good perk programs with different business that offer discounted products and/or services. Lighter schedule during summer and winter holidays. Good programs for development.

ConsHigh retention limits the options for advancement in certain regions. Incorporating a diverse workforce slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementAttention and support are often given to larger accounts in an attempt to retain the business. Being proactive and executing trend setting initiatives prior to problems arising would prevent loss of business.

Great co workers, like family

Food Service Worker (Current Employee)

ProsLove helping those who I serve.

ConsNot enough money for the hours you put in, and the benefits are expensive. Don't feel appreciated by the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith out us you can't walk. So treat your legs better than what you treating them.

I didn't hate my job but I didn't love it neither !

Catering Foodservice Worker (Current Employee)
    Dover, DE

ProsGreat coworker...we all got great ! Plenty of opportunity to build confidence and express yourself in creative ways.

ConsRate of pay
    Takes forever to move up
    Scheduling inconvenience

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds a career pathway with time limit and requirements

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting company

Food Production Manager (Former Employee)
    Morehead, KY

ProsNot a bad company to work for, employees all seem happy albeit a bit on edge due to budget and safety issues. Health plan is a great perk, ability to move up in ranks seems doable.

ConsDeadlines and inaccurate software that needs updating severely, using "Prima" on outdated old computers as well as outdated sysco ordering handles means a lot of late nights "Off the clock" to make sure things get done correctly and on time.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade computers, software, and catalogs

Solid part time job, zero advancement

Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Folsom, CA

ProsThey're big on cross-training, you get a lot of different experience,. Great customers, great coworkers, and great boss.

ConsZero advancement opportunity, zero promotion or wage increase if you are a student. Upper management is condescending to front end employees (not to their faces but you hear about it after their visits.)

Advice to Senior ManagementBe prepared to reward your top employees (even if students) or be willing to lose them.

Not bad

ProsReasonable pay, accumulate sick days personal.

Conssome departments were extremely short handed.

Challenging yet exciting and forever changing position helping students to have memorable dining experiences

Management (Current Employee)
    Knoxville, TN

ProsFun, quite fulfilling with challenging tasks but able to help both employees and customers in obtaining their goals. Positive atmosphere and clean environment with flexibility in schedules based around school calendars and needs.

ConsAs a salaried manager the work is never completed and the expectations are never ending yet the compensation remains constant.

Great Company!

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
    Winston-Salem, NC

ProsGreat advancement opportunities; Rewarding work/tasks; Enjoyed the staff that I worked with; Great learning experience; Challenging tasks that birth personal growth

ConsSome tasks seemed menial at times; Started with idea/planning phase of many projects, but many were never realized; Diverse tasks sometimes lead to confusion

You work long and hard hours for very little in return

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYour schedule is flexible if you have an appointment during the day, able to perform your job without being micro managed

ConsVery little appreciation from management, company is greedy and about revenue, time and commitment to the company does not mean anything to them

Advice to Senior ManagementShow appreciation for the long hours that are worked and help mentor and grow your people.

Profit Driven, Lack of Management Support

Hayward, CA

ProsAramark Higher Education often provides the first job to many college students. College kids on campus who need/want a job are able to work on campus with a flexible schedule that revolves around their class schedule.

ConsThe "Pro" mentioned is the only pro I could think of and I had to think pretty hard because basically, the pro can sometimes be a "Con". There are many students who think they want to work, but still have no idea what it means to be responsible for a job. While Aramark claims that it provides students with real-world work experience- THAT IS A LIE. If the students who don't show up for work, arrive habitually late, mouth off, etc at their campus job should perform this way in the real world- they'll be fired. BUT NOT WITH ARAMARK.

Aramark, wants to eventually hire these students into supervisory roles with pennies more than minimum wage. They profit off of cheap labor. This fact is consistent across all accounts everywhere. There is poor or no training and then pure frustration by upper management when the job is not carried out correctly.

There is absolutely no upper management support to ensure that HR issues at the account level are being handled appropriately. Managers have been fired without warning and their jobs have been threatened by the GM for issues that have been out of the person's control. The GM at my account did not care to listen to the managers requests for its departmental needs and forced managers to operate its retail and residential food outlets with incredibly minimal staff while still demanding an increase in sales and spotless, safe, work environments.

There is a huge lack of respect among managers and absolutely no support or cooperation from the GM or Regional Directors when department managers request it. The only focus is on making the revenue goals. The service and product deliverables are subpar at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what's going on! If you're seeing a revolving door of employees (particularly your managers) as they leave (and most of them with a sour taste for Aramark) it's because of no one's looking at who's running the accounts. Be responsible and start appreciating those who are working hard to create the profits you demand.

Worked for Aramark Higher Education? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aramark Higher Education reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aramark Higher Education CEO Chris Hackem. All 136 reviews posted anonymously by Aramark Higher Education employees.