Arapahoe County Reviews

Updated August 4, 2014
Updated August 4, 2014

3.2

CEO

Fantastic forward thinking employer!

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Arapahoe County full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Arapahoe County has many opportunities for technical people to grow and mature within the county and their role. They provide ongoing training, are dedicated to their constituents (fiscally responsible) and to their employees.

Cons

The only con was the pay scale was on the lower side

Upper management may want to reconsider the 4 day work week.

Good employer for most part

I have been working at Arapahoe County

Pros

Solid job with decent benefits. Department director of community resources has high integrity. Honest man and great leader.

Cons

Division not consistent across board with employee human resources.

Be consistent.

I worked for Arapahoe County Judicial Services

Former Employee - Officer  in  Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Officer in Centennial, CO

I worked at Arapahoe County full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It had good benefits for their employees

Cons

Micro-management was infuriating. I would say, "You're not supposed to do this." She would say, "Do it anyway." Later....she would come back when I was done and say, "You're not supposed to do this."

Work is NOT your staff's priority. Work funds your life.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's OK.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arapahoe, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arapahoe, CO

I have been working at Arapahoe County full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The flex schedule allows for a three day weekend every other week and there are a good amount of paid holidays

Cons

Uneven salary distribution. New employees are often hired at significantly higher salaries than long term employees.

Said the position was for a programmer but...

Former Employee - Senior Solutions Developer  in  Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Solutions Developer in Littleton, CO

I worked at Arapahoe County full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is pluralsight training available. Which in the beginning I was able to use. But...

Cons

Then I found out that the programming position is really just a glorified HELP DESK role. No programming was allowed. All the "developers" do are tickets for broken 3rd party applications.

Management is odd to say the least. There is no consistency and they just deflect responsibility to other people and departments.

If you want to keep talent, tell them up front what the position is. Don't say that it is a programmer position when it isn't. The current direct manager is not a good fit for this position or this team.

A good employer...but not one to stay at.

Current Employee - Workforce Specialist  in  Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Workforce Specialist in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Arapahoe County as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good atmosphere
    Coworkers are generally happy and fun to work with
    Flex time options

Cons

Do not harness creativity and are not open to new ideas.
    Very hard to get a non grant-funded position
    Salary

Award employees for work they have done that shows on their annual reviews. There is no reason a person with a perfect annual review score should not be a full-time employee. You are losing good people.

For a government agency, the county runs very efficiently and productively.

Former Employee - Administrative  in  Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Administrative in Littleton, CO

I worked at Arapahoe County full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, job security and great co-workers!

Cons

For me the location was far and not too much flex time in my position.

Institute more flex and job sharing to help working families.

Love the job, dislike management's unrealistic expectation and treatment of employees.

Current Employee - Program Specialist  in  Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Program Specialist in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Arapahoe County

Pros

Bottom line, Arapahoe County pays okay. Regardless of the number of hours worked in a month, you will be paid the salary of 2618.00 (unless of course, you are authorized OT- then you do get paid time and a half.) Great co workers and a fulfilment of helping others in need. 8 hours of sick and vacation accrue every month and off on some unsuspecting holidays (Columbus Day). Oh yeah, a really great training program. They have the greatest trainers. Great Community Support Services division manager, who acknowledges you when you walk by. Seriously.

Cons

Most of the supervisors are pretty rude and not quite understanding which, of course, makes the job harder. The second a question is asked they pretend to know and then brush you off like you are bothering them. We are given so many interviews and applications to process a day, with only 1 hour to do everything asked. They constantly change the process of the business so the second you get something they are changing it again. There are just so many problems with supervisor, I cannot and will not go into it all. Pretty much the turnover rate is so high, not because the job itself, but because of management treatment.

Disappointing, they just can't get their act together

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Arapahoe County

Pros

The benefits and work life balance use to be great,
    Great co-workers who care about the County and it's Citizens and take pride in their work

Cons

No one is in charge! We're on the bus and no one is driving, no respect for knowledge or experience, sure we can always do better but this isn't a Fortune 500 company, it's a County - Local Government not a flashy trendy Telecom Company

Think about what you really want to do, just one or two things and focus on those, work on knowledgement and creating a learning culture not a culture of let's do anything as long as it's different....it's got to be better than those dummies before me.

Solid government employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO

I worked at Arapahoe County

Pros

I felt secure at Arapahoe County even during the rounds of layoffs. I trusted my supervisor and manager to keep me in the loop, and they did. My supervisor and manager were both excellent - very supportive, gave positive feedback about my job performance, and were very gracious when I needed to take time off due to a death in my family. I also really liked being able to work a flex schedule (4 days per week) and we had good health care coverage. Overall, I felt this was a positive place to work.

Cons

The downside to working for Arapahoe County is that although I had a secure job, the pay scale was so poor that I had about $15 left at the end of the month. Of course, this was somewhat offset by my supervisor allowing me to work a flex schedule (four 10-hour shifts per week). The other downside was that I didn't think our payroll department was very professional -- not only did we only get paid once per month, but payroll botched our last direct deposit of 2008. I don't know how I managed to avoid bouncing checks. It was a nightmare.

I am not sure why executive management is having the lower-level employees do the strategic planning for the company, but if the executives aren't doing the legwork on strategic planning, then my question remains...what is management doing?

Worked for Arapahoe County? Contribute to the Community!