Arapahoe House

2.9

Arthur Schut

Arapahoe House Detox

I have been working at Arapahoe House

Pros

Great experience for people interested in the field of counseling.

Cons

The pay for the field is not great in general.

Good Professional Experience working with a challenging Substance Abuse/Mental Health population

Current Employee - Clinician in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Clinician in Denver, CO

I have been working at Arapahoe House (more than an year)

Pros

Great experience and good for getting credentials if you are seeking licensure/certification in Substance Abuse and Mental health field.

Cons

Constant change, lack of time off, periodic understaffing which creates concern for employee safety both professional and personal. Senior Management seems a bit far from their experience in the clinical trenches.

Concern about being a CARF agency is causing stress for employees. Constant change with little to no notice is very challenging for employees and downright demoralizing for many.

Lack of staff support

I have been working at Arapahoe House full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The area for growth is huge. There is little consistency and lots of things you must learn to let go from staff and clients. Sometimes the payout can be huge when you see someone succeed. The variety of programs and clients keeps it interesting.

Cons

There is little to no support between staff members; there is no team work, and no consistency on rules, ethics, or procedure. Staff and management talk about these things being important, but is does not show up in the implementation, under the guise of "individualized treatment". At least at the unit I was at later in my Arapahoe House career, the clients run the show. The staff shows unethical practices by keeping clients in higher level of care than needed, making exceptions to key rules, and allowing clients to be inappropriate and even abusive to other clients and staff. The turnover of staff is high and the reasons are clear. The stress and strain of the field is bad enough, and paired with the lack of staff competence makes this low-paying job completely miserable.

Listen to your employees more- I have raised these general concerns as well as specific ones with every level of management from my unit sup, to HR and I have not felt heard or seen a change.

Very unprofessional and disorganized

Former Employee - Counselor in Thornton, CO
    Former Employee - Counselor in Thornton, CO

I worked at Arapahoe House full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people, clients and staff are one of the pros. For the most part staff are hard working and care about what they do.

Cons

Lots of changes in policies and procedures. High case/work loads. Dealing with a difficult population and some management seemed out of touch with the day to day of what goes on in the job. Also some management seemed to think the team were the "red headed stepchildren".

There seems to be a culture of fear that is pervasive through out the organization. Could be unsettling at times to say the least.

Increase wages! Granted it's a non profit but no raises in 2.5 years is rough, especially with the cost of living going up. Be supportive and not punitive. Decrease workloads. Allow staff opportunities to grow and be innovative. Let staff debrief.

Providing substance abuse tx or referrals for tx those who want it.

Former Employee - Detoxification in Commerce City, CO
    Former Employee - Detoxification in Commerce City, CO

I worked at Arapahoe House full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to be uniquely qualified to help others.

Cons

Must have a degree to be considered for advancement.

Tell your current employee you would like them to work in open positions when they become available.

Great place to work. I would love to go back if I still lived in Colorado.

Former Employee - Counselor/Case Manager in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Counselor/Case Manager in Aurora, CO

I worked at Arapahoe House full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits of working for Arapahoe House are great. They offer education support, pay for training, medical, dental, and 401k. The supervisors are supportive and the services to clients made me proud to be able to work for them.

Cons

I cant say anything bad about Arapahoe House. I would go back if I lived in Colorado.

The management did an awesome job in supporting my growth while at Arapahoe House. Thank you very much.

Challenging and not in a positive way

Former Employee - Counselor in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Counselor in Aurora, CO

I worked at Arapahoe House full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The clients who come through the doors are worth while. The management works the staff and counselors to burnout. Most of the new staff don't last a year now.

Cons

Punitive environment, management is constantly talking about fear of lawsuits, employees have concerns for personal safety in many of the locations.

Act like a professional organization and let employees work with a reasonable number of clients. Everyone is so overworked from day one they burn out within a year. How can you expect people to provide good care?

Great mission but poor management

Former Employee - Admissions in Thornton, CO
    Former Employee - Admissions in Thornton, CO

I worked at Arapahoe House full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission, work is worthwhile, staff care about the job they do & teams work together.

Cons

Poor pay, top management makes poor decisions. Middle management caught in middle. HR is a nightmare.

Innovation is the key rather than doing things the same way. Use the resources of your staff to improve culture.

Informative and helpful yet highly disorganized and mentally trying..

Current Employee - Drug Tech in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Drug Tech in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Arapahoe House

Pros

Staff is all very friendly and emoyees are given lots of PTO. On call coverage make it easy to take a personal day. Occasionally you may actually make a positive change in someones life And can whiteness the transformation happen.

Cons

Disorganized. Staff is often less than competent leaving others to pick up the slack. Having to watch people pee is not worth the price you are payed t.

Need to ensure all employes are doing thier jobs, not making up a few competent employees pick up the numourous short comings . Please don't change sop and policy every week

Steady Employment with Treatment Provider

Current Employee - Counselor
    Current Employee - Counselor

I have been working at Arapahoe House

Pros

Overall employees are easy to get along with and helpful. Management can often be helpful in difficult client situations. Supervision is very good.

Cons

Management tends to be secretive about changes in organization and there is a lot of gossip as a result. Many counselors do not feel valued with regard to salary and respect level from upper management.

Talk to clinicians about ways you may show you value what they do. Case loads are very high and pay is below average in the field.