Arapahoe House

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Arthur Schut

Providing substance abuse tx or referrals for tx those who want it.

Detoxification (Former Employee)
    Commerce City, CO

ProsOpportunity to be uniquely qualified to help others.

ConsMust have a degree to be considered for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell your current employee you would like them to work in open positions when they become available.

Lack of staff support

ProsThe area for growth is huge. There is little consistency and lots of things you must learn to let go from staff and clients. Sometimes the payout can be huge when you see someone succeed. The variety of programs and clients keeps it interesting.

ConsThere is little to no support between staff members; there is no team work, and no consistency on rules, ethics, or procedure. Staff and management talk about these things being important, but is does not show up in the implementation, under the guise of "individualized treatment". At least at the unit I was at later in my Arapahoe House career, the clients run the show. The staff shows unethical practices by keeping clients in higher level of care than needed, making exceptions to key rules, and allowing clients to be inappropriate and even abusive to other clients and staff. The turnover of staff is high and the reasons are clear. The stress and strain of the field is bad enough, and paired with the lack of staff competence makes this low-paying job completely miserable.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees more- I have raised these general concerns as well as specific ones with every level of management from my unit sup, to HR and I have not felt heard or seen a change.

Very unprofessional and disorganized

Counselor (Former Employee)
    Thornton, CO

ProsThe people, clients and staff are one of the pros. For the most part staff are hard working and care about what they do.

ConsLots of changes in policies and procedures. High case/work loads. Dealing with a difficult population and some management seemed out of touch with the day to day of what goes on in the job. Also some management seemed to think the team were the "red headed stepchildren".

There seems to be a culture of fear that is pervasive through out the organization. Could be unsettling at times to say the least.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease wages! Granted it's a non profit but no raises in 2.5 years is rough, especially with the cost of living going up. Be supportive and not punitive. Decrease workloads. Allow staff opportunities to grow and be innovative. Let staff debrief.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work. I would love to go back if I still lived in Colorado.

Counselor/Case Manager (Former Employee)
    Aurora, CO

ProsThe benefits of working for Arapahoe House are great. They offer education support, pay for training, medical, dental, and 401k. The supervisors are supportive and the services to clients made me proud to be able to work for them.

ConsI cant say anything bad about Arapahoe House. I would go back if I lived in Colorado.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management did an awesome job in supporting my growth while at Arapahoe House. Thank you very much.

Challenging and not in a positive way

Counselor (Former Employee)
    Aurora, CO

ProsThe clients who come through the doors are worth while. The management works the staff and counselors to burnout. Most of the new staff don't last a year now.

ConsPunitive environment, management is constantly talking about fear of lawsuits, employees have concerns for personal safety in many of the locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct like a professional organization and let employees work with a reasonable number of clients. Everyone is so overworked from day one they burn out within a year. How can you expect people to provide good care?

Great mission but poor management

Admissions (Former Employee)
    Thornton, CO

ProsGreat mission, work is worthwhile, staff care about the job they do & teams work together.

ConsPoor pay, top management makes poor decisions. Middle management caught in middle. HR is a nightmare.

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovation is the key rather than doing things the same way. Use the resources of your staff to improve culture.

Informative and helpful yet highly disorganized and mentally trying..

Drug Tech (Current Employee)
    Aurora, CO

ProsStaff is all very friendly and emoyees are given lots of PTO. On call coverage make it easy to take a personal day. Occasionally you may actually make a positive change in someones life And can whiteness the transformation happen.

ConsDisorganized. Staff is often less than competent leaving others to pick up the slack. Having to watch people pee is not worth the price you are payed t.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to ensure all employes are doing thier jobs, not making up a few competent employees pick up the numourous short comings . Please don't change sop and policy every week

Steady Employment with Treatment Provider

Counselor (Current Employee)

ProsOverall employees are easy to get along with and helpful. Management can often be helpful in difficult client situations. Supervision is very good.

ConsManagement tends to be secretive about changes in organization and there is a lot of gossip as a result. Many counselors do not feel valued with regard to salary and respect level from upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to clinicians about ways you may show you value what they do. Case loads are very high and pay is below average in the field.

Worked for Arapahoe House? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Arapahoe House reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Arapahoe House CEO Arthur Schut. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Arapahoe House employees.