Arbella Insurance

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
2.6

John F. Donohue

Great people outside of the politics

I worked at Arbella Insurance for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people
    Great Customers and agents

Cons

The Management
    The Management

Remove the political circle and the kiss ups with no views of their own.

Horrible, horrible company to work for

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Quincy, MA

I worked at Arbella Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

1) Great co-workers 2) Benefits 3) Location of office

Cons

1) Management 2) Workload 3) Substandard tools provided to employees for doing their job

This company likes to label itself as "one of the best places to work in Boston" That's 10 lbs. of monkey crap stuffed into a 5 lb. bag.. Each year they have their employees respond to an "anonymous" survey about how they feel about their job, the company in general and management. If the response to the survey is not submitted as the deadline approaches, that particular employee gets friendly reminders that he/she still needs to complete their on line questionnaire from the company doing the survey. Now, I ask you, if this survey is truly anonymous, how does the company know that they haven't received a particular employee's response? And, times when employees have responded negatively to the survey, they have been called into meetings with management and asked why they don't like certain aspects of their jobs. One positive with this company is the workers themselves. There are a lot of good, honest hard-working people among the gereral population of employees at Arbella but they are extremely unhappy, especially in claims. Claim adjusters are inundated with work and expected to work nights and weekends, without pay, to get everything done. Work/life balance???? Ha!!!!! A large part of the problem is that management, particularily upper management, is littered with "professional managers", "professional VP's" and incompetents many of whom were brought in from outside the company, never did the job they are managing & therefore, have no concept of what the job they are supervising/managing entails and the difficulities faced each day by the adjusters. Management installed a new claim system a few years ago that is slower than it's predecessor & creates more work for the employee, however management loves it because it's easier for them to access their very important reports. So employees, at least in claims, are stuck in an overworked, underpaid job with little hope of advancement since Arbella no longer promotes from within in the claim department. They also show no loyalty to their long time employees. Arbella has a history of terminating their tenured employees once theiy reach their late 40's to early 50's in order to save money. First they try to make your life unbearable with the hope that the employee will quit on his/her own. If that fails, they will just get rid of you one way or another. Even if you've never been a problem employee, they'll set you up or just make up a reason to terminate you. I was one of the fortunate ones who, after many unhappy years there, I left on my own when another opportunity opened up for me. It was the best thing that ever could have happened for me. I have never been happier, both at home and at work, than I am now. ' The misery of working for Arbella had begun to poison my life outside of work. One of the Best Places to Work in Boston?????? Don't believe it.

WORST COMPANY TO WORK FOR.....

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Arbella Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice building ,Nice cafeteria, nice underground parking.

Cons

Where should I start....Please pay attention to the adverse reviews regarding this company..."ALL" of them are true and accurate. I learned the hard way. This company does a great job of "WINDOW DRESSING" All appears well in the interview and from the outside looking in, however once hired you will experience the nightmare of an operations that they call an insurance company. There is no automation, manuals or written procedures for the entire organization. They pay workers to print and count paper all day. Each policy holder has a paper file. Nothing is automated. They still use typewriters. The leadership there will tell you that they want change, but do not believe the hype. They do not and will not value your suggestions regarding much needed change. They make most of the workers perform processes that add little or no value at all. If you began to offer them feedback, you days will soon be numbered. VERY HIGH TURNOVER at this company. If the policy holders could take an unexpected tour of the internal operations, most if not all would place there policies elsewhere. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY.......

Fire most of the Senior Leadership. I would keep a few selected senior leaders that have common sense. Scale back on you "CULTURE" message...It has a cult like feeling. Listen to your workers. Keep in mind that only a fool continues to do the same things, expecting a different result. Invest in much needed automation. Stop seeking TOP talent...you do not appreciate top talent...These are the facts....

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience was excellent

Former Employee - Claims Service Center Representative  in  Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Claims Service Center Representative in Quincy, MA

I worked at Arbella Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

the people and the office culture

Cons

travel time and the traffic from the south shore

do not change a thing

Great place to work if you don't need to make a lot of money

Former Employee - Claims Service Center Representative  in  Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Claims Service Center Representative in Quincy, MA

I worked at Arbella Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

I LOVED working at Arbella and would have stayed there forever if I could have. The work environment was great, co-workers were a lot of fun, management were super nice. The day-to-day could get monotonous but if you brought it up to your manager they'd come up with ways to mix it up. Arbella is a very supportive company with great community outreach programs and charity drives. I would 100% recommend this company to anyone so long as you're able to make ends meet with your salary.

Cons

The ONLY reason I left, for real I'd have stayed forever if I could have, was the salary. $32,500.00 is barely a livable wage for someone with student loans, a car, an apartment, and any sort of hope to have a social life.

Recognize talent and make sure to let them know they're appreciated.

It's an okay place to work for.

I have been working at Arbella Insurance

Pros

People are nice and friendly. Work-life balance. Good employee benefits. It's involved with the community. Fine location.

Cons

Too much politics there. People often try to kiss up the senior management team. There's no much of on-job training. People are either overloaded or underloaded all the time. It struggles to attract young people. Technology there is out of date.

Take down your pride and listen to your employees.

Horrifying experience

I worked at Arbella Insurance

Pros

Benefits, decent pay, and nice facility.

Cons

I have never experienced anything like it in my professional career. That place is an adult popularity contest. If they decide they don't like you they will find / make up reasons to fire you. If you try an offer managers feedback or your knowledge you may as well put a target on your back.

Employees are afraid to be truthful. People say what managers wants to hear out of fear of losing their jobs. It is a very dysfunctional environment.

This company changes staff quite often. It is a revolving door.

Former Employee - Claims Service Center Representative  in  Tewksbury, MA
    Former Employee - Claims Service Center Representative in Tewksbury, MA

I worked at Arbella Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It helped me understand insurance and how it works.

Cons

If you took a sick day, you better have a doctor note or your on the s*it list. A lot of favoritism. The work load was overwhelming while the supervisors sat at their desks browsing the internet.

Supervisors need to stop being suckups to management and think for themselves.

Great work environment

Former Employee - Operations Associate  in  Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Operations Associate in Quincy, MA

I worked at Arbella Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun work environment, lots of team building, tuition reimbursement, good benefits, friendly coworkers, lots of room for advancement.

Cons

The company looks down upon you using your sick days and will penalize you if you use too many, hard to get days off during holidays - they will go by seniority.

Allow the employees to use their sick days - if they have kids they will need to use them!!

Don't go there unless you are desperate

Former Employee - Manager  in  Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Quincy, MA

I worked at Arbella Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good location, good people for the most part

Cons

Senior management team is comprised of shameless suck ups. Arbella frequently dismisses employees with years of experience due to personality conflicts, etc. There is no loyalty there. If they cannot get rid of you based on your performance, they will find a way to eliminate your job and then fill it exactly one year later. People are more overworked than ever and morale is at an all time low.

Stop thinking of your own careers for a second and mentor your employees. It's not all about you. Be ethical in your dealings with employees and agents.

Worked for Arbella Insurance? Contribute to the Community!