Arbitron

Arbitron Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Arbitron President, CEO, and Director William T. (Bill) Kerr

William T. (Bill) Kerr

Pros
  • Empowered work-style and environment which ensures work life balance(in 9 reviews)

• People, location, flexible work schedules, ability to work from home(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Weak middle management who cannot say no to upper management(in 4 reviews)

• After everything was changed to Nielsen you no longer felt like an employee(in 4 reviews)

Arbitron was palpable. Nielsen is terrible.

ProsIt was easy to build relationships with people from many different departments. Nielsen, however, is an enormous hierarchy of bureaucrats and "towers" (literally - that's what they call them).

ConsEverything about the acquisition was a nightmare of cover-ups, tip-toeing... even had one person tell us to stop asking questions. I was told that hanging on with Nielsen would afford me wonderful opportunities because it is such a large organization. Despite practically begging for additional work and opportunities, they've left me pigeon-holed, and they demoted me in the process.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo point in providing advice. Those who were retained are too scared to do anything and those who have been Nielsen all along won't listen.

Arbitron was the best....Nielsen? Not so much

Panel Relation Specialist (Former Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsIt was the best company to work for but then Nielsen took over and it went to hell in a handbasket.

ConsCall Centers in Arlington and Tampa manned by amateurs who were arrogant at best and obviously poorly trained. Since dissolve of Arbitron overall quality has got to have gone down

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above

Arbitron was amazing with room to grow, Nielsen is stagnant and low on diversity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsArbitron was an overall good corporation with good benefits. Depending on the department, management was very inclusive and open to their staff. Other departments micromanaged too much causing a 'click' atmosphere leading to promotions with their friends only, even when those friends performed way below standard.

ConsNo fault to Nielsen for being extremely rigged. You have to be stern to fire 500 people, but the 'who' in structural changes baffled me. Minority inclusion was non existent in upper management promotions and staff that better fit for kept positions were over looked for "friends."

Advice to Senior ManagementGroupthink and lack of diversity hurts your process. Don't promote people who look like you when they are one of your worst options.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Arbitron was great, Nielsen NOT

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsArbitron was a great place to work with GREAT benefits, decent raises and decent rewards.

ConsOn 9/30/13, Arbitron was acquired by Nielsen, and on 11/14/13, 500 Arbitron employees were cut. So there isn't much good that I can say about Nielsen.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow they are going to do business in the future is who knows.

Arbitron was Great---Nielsen Not So Much

Field Operations (Former Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsArbitron was a wonderful place to work that valued its employees and invested in quality employees. Salaries and bonuses were appropriate to experience levels and experienced professionals that Arbitron had. Lots of support and encouragement. Amazing team of people to work with.

ConsSold out to Nielsen and within 44 days of the acquisition, the organization was destroyed. Not sure how they are doing the ratings or meeting any accredidation standards as the organization is half of what it used to be and those that have been brought in as replacements do not measure up to Arbitron's standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou get what you pay for---if you want high turnover, a lack of work ethic, incompetence and unhappy employees, you are doing just what you need to do. Those that you chose to keep are snakes---beware as they will bite you too!

ARBISITION

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people who rowed the boat right up to the end and over the proverbial career cliff. They are professionals.

ConsExecutives who sold out to Nielsen. Thanks, Steve, Bill and Sean and Board of Directors!

Advice to Senior ManagementSYNERGY - "At the end of the game, pawns and kings go back into the same box." Italian Proverb

Bad managers and Worse ideas

Senior Test Specialist (Current Employee) Cochin (India)

Pros1) Unlimited facebook access/youtube access/any site
    2) indoor games

Cons1) Bad management and pathetic management criteria
    2) Newcomers are not encouraged and are taken advantage of in terms of service and salary
    3) Hectic projects are undertaken without ample foresight and scheduling and employees are pressurized to work overtime including huge overlap on US timings

Advice to Senior ManagementKindly be realistic in giving hikes and regarding employee retention. Unlimited facebook is good for teenage kids not for retaining working professionals who have ample responsibilities.

Worst Experience in a product company

Senior Specialist (Current Employee) Cochin (India)

ProsTeam members are good..office infrastructure

ConsNo technical competent projects, No Long Term Onsite, HR

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove HR policies, provide long term onsite, be more employee friendly in real than in words

Well on the road to perdition

ProsUsed to be a leader - not a follower.

ConsThe multi media landscape is spinning at a faster rate than the company can keep up with.
    Propriatory technology and patented hardware is wasted on the wrong direction. When PPM was launched, the opportunity for global expansion and world wide dominance was theirs for the taking.
    Poor executive and middle management will continue to drown employee's optimism. A cavalier attitude to after hours support where family commitments are frowned upon upto and including termination of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementLets get back to basics and start valuing the very people who keep the company afloat. It's not to late to move off life support.

Had its good years, but continues to go downhill.

(Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours
    Compensation and benefits
    Location
    Good, team oriented co-workers (mostly)

ConsVery poor exec/mgt style that continues to ignore mistakes, blame the fall-out on their hard-working employees and take away incentive. Mgt. is very closed-door and hierarchical and quite arrogant about it. Best analogy is that they're stuck in the fifties, when everything (and everyone) stayed in the closet and nothing was shared or spoken of. That's how mgt. operates.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook in the mirror and get honest and correct your bad decisions; people will appreciate it and that's how good companies last and retain good employees.

Worked for Arbitron? Contribute to the Community!