Arbor Commercial

Add Photos

Ivan Kaufman

Analyst

Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prossmall company with good exposure to commercial real estate nationwide

ConsLong term tenure and benefits are tough

Advice to Senior ManagementNOne

Just don't do it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBeing an underwriting/screening analyst is a great first job out of college. You learn a ton since you see so many deals and work through so many issues. In the Boston office, there is a great group of people right out of college all going through the same thing. It's like doing a post-grad year. Plus it sets the bar ridiculously low for any other job you might have throughout your life, and gives you access to the extensive network of other dissatisfied former Arbor employees.

ConsTraining is non-existent, they throw you to the wolves and fire you if you get eaten alive.
    The company culture is dog eat dog and management encourages in-fighting. This creates a total blame culture and if you are wondering who the next scapegoat is, it will probably be you.
    They invented the term "penny wise and pound foolish."
    Management...excuse me, "Management" changes their minds every few months about the direction of the company. I've never seen anything like it. Like the weather, if you don't like Arbor, stick around 5 minutes, it will change.
    New company "directives" are poorly communicated and thought out. There is no long-term plan, and if they ever had one, they would change it in a month or two anyway.
    The upshot is that it's a very transient and impermanent place, which is driven by "Management" .

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are not unfortunate side effects of a business, they ARE your business. Figure out a long term plan and stick with it. Don't just fire entire groups of people because you're in a bad mood. Google the phrase "employee morale" sometime. Figure out what it is and how it could be beneficial to you.

Shirking upper Management

Underwriting Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe hours were more then decent

ConsPeople there only exist to pass the buck, the culture is lacking, there is no energy on in the office

Advice to Senior ManagementStronger leadership is needed, don't be penny wise and pound foolish

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I greatly enjoyed my time at Arbor. Very talented and professional group of finance professionals.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people that work at Arbor are very talented and aggressive. It created a very rewarding working environment. On the occasions that I was able to visit the main offices in NYC, Uniondale and Boston were very informative and enjoyable.

ConsI was located in an office in Atlanta at a time where FNMA was very tentative to underwrite loans in the markets I covered. This was more a function of the current market dynamics at the time than a position taken by Arbor. I would consider working for them again in any market and in almost any capacity.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. Keep doing what you're doing and when the market comes back you will be there!

Unorganized, unprofessional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone - No one in any upper level position understands the full circle of what they're responsible for.

ConsHR department is incompetent. God forbid you have to leave on disability. Forms requested numerous times that were never sent prior to leaving, needed to get them from another employee who had a baby. They say they never receive faxes/emails - even when presented with their own read receipts. When going over their head to the actual insurance company, you get contradictory information. So either HR has no idea what they get from the insurance company or they don't know what they should be following up on. Consequently, the doctor had to waste their time with multiple sendings due to HRs incompetence. Oh, and the last conference, the CEO made it clear that they have better lawyers than you do, so don't bother suing.
    Management makes processes more complicated than they need to be - theres a reason for the acronym KISS. It seems like 10% of the people do 90% of the work. I've never seen people take so many coffee breaks and long lunches. Very unprofessional environment - dressing formal doesn't make a professional office. If you have no dignity and can kiss managements butt, you will be promoted. Otherwise, there is no room for advancement - what you get hired as is what youll be.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistency - KISS - Hire people that actually know what they're doing for that position

Devalues your resume

(Former Employee) Boston, NY

ProsNone - do not bother working for this company. It will devalue your resume. I would rate this company zero stars across the board if there was the option.

Cons1.) Unprofessional environment; 2.) No opportunity for career advancement - there are clear favorites who know very little about real estate & only appear to work hard when certain people are around yet they get promoted; 3.) Employees including management frequently throw other colleagues under the bus; 4.) Management only appreciates & favors employees who kiss butt - work ethic & quality comes second to how well you can kiss butt; 5.) Worst "so-called" management in the real estate industry - they have no clue on how to manage people & promote a positive work environment; 6.) Management lacks communication skills & has no patience to help others when asked unless you are considered a "favorite" as they only want to see certain people succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace management & hire qualified managers who are true leaders & values employees.

Underwriting Analyst

ProsThere are no pros to working in the underwriting department.

ConsThe company is a revolving door. Either people are always leaving or they are firing employees for no good reason. They under-pay and overwork their employees. I would say that more than half the underwriting division was looking for a new job. Worse company I have ever worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstilling a "No Complaining" rule is ridiculous. Deal with the reasons why your employees are complaining, maybe then it wouldn't be necessary to implement such a rule!

Ok place to learn the fundamentals of real estate but you'll quickly plateau.

Underwriting Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe work allows you to get into the nuts and bolts of analyzing multi-family real estate. High volume shop that will keep you buried in work so you'll learn a lot in a short period of time. It appears that management has been improving however, there's still a lot of room for improvement.

ConsProcesses and paperwork can be excessive which takes away from meaningful work. The work environment is like a graveyard, a place where your hopes and dreams go to die. Seriously, they could do a lot more to increase morale and promote a more positive atmosphere.

The company has trouble retaining employees so there's been a lot of turnover. Technology is dated and at times severely decreases productivity.

Limited exposure to any asset class other than multi-family.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate inefficient redundant processes. Update company technology and servers.

Stay away unless you are desperate

Analyst (Current Employee) Uniondale, NY

ProsI wish I could say someting positive, but nothing comes to mind.

ConsMost dysfunctional company out there. No training but you are expected to know what to do and get yelled at like a child if it is wrong. Some of the underwriters and analysts travel as part of their job and management expects you to travel only after work hours or weekends, not on their time. Lots of bad deals and they just look the other way and tell analysts to make them work. Loan originators no matter how bad run the show.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of upper management and replace with qualified people.

Where dreams go to die or where you park yourself until you find something better.

Analyst (Current Employee) Uniondale, NY

Pros20% bonus structure is a plus but that just evens out the low salary

ConsPay is not competitive. Limited in your exposure to asset classes. There are lots of bureaucratic hoops to jump through at every turn, but I suppose that is just corporate America. Unused vacation days are not paid out. Benefits, I.e. health insurance and 401k, don't kick in for six months until after starting. The company's 401k contribution is 100% withdrawn if you leave less than 5yrs into employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementShowing some interest in employee welfare would pay dividends and reduce the already astounding turnover rate

Worked for Arbor Commercial? Contribute to the Community!