Arbor Research Collaborative for Health

Updated Jun 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert Merion

Good people passionate about their work

Research Analyst (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsAR has a lot going for it. The organization is doing well and has opportunities for advancement, but the main advantage is the fantastic office culture. Very few people are there just for the paycheck. You aren't expected to be there 24/7 -- the office is practically empty by 6 pm -- but employees care about the organization's mission and actively work to further it. It is a truly collaborative environment, and its organizational structure reinforces the team mentality without being cultish. Another review here complained about managers not being trained as managers, but I actually felt like promoting from within allowed the managers to understand what needed to be done (as well as pick up slack during the busiest times). My direct manager was one of the best mentors I've had, and I do not think he would have been as effective coming from a pure management background. Perhaps other managers are not as good, but the problem is definitely not universal. Senior leadership was also great. The DOPPS lead PIs are wonderful people who care about you as a person and about the work you are doing. If you've ever worked in an environment where you sit in meetings and watch silently as others take credit for and/or belittle your accomplishments and contributions, you know how deflating and toxic that can be. I never saw that happen here. AR leaders make a conscious effort to acknowledge and thank you in front of your coworkers and collaborators. It makes for a wonderful workplace where you know that others appreciate your efforts. I would absolutely consider working here again if I moved back to the Ann Arbor area.

ConsThe nature of the work makes for fluctuating work demands with considerable extra effort required immediately before proposal deadlines. Some of the external collaborators can be difficult to handle, and the additional burden caused by working with ambivalent or unfocused collaborators is borne almost entirely by the project's analyst. I personally felt some fleeting frustration over this issue, but I imagine it would compound over time; I perceived it to be the main reason for analyst attrition. Because of data security concerns and the desire to quickly hand off projects from one analyst to another, AR can be a bit slow to adopt innovation (see: using SAS for everything, including tasks better handled in R). However, the standardized process helps inexperienced analysts develop and maintain a workflow conducive to reproducible science. The company is also growing somewhat quickly, so the friendly, supportive atmosphere might change in the coming years. (On the other hand, if I had to choose a company that could pull off such a transition, it would be AR.) Overall, there is nothing so bad that it would prevent me from strongly recommending this workplace to friends or family.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! Do everything you can to keep the current culture intact as you expand the organization. Manage external collaborations more closely to ensure that analyst time is spent wisely and to prevent endless "fishing expeditions" for collaborators with ill-defined goals. Consider making advancement pathway more widely known.

great organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prospeople are nice, smart and hard working
    good benefit

Conssalary is not high, small organization

Excellent benefits package. Very policy oriented orginization.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsGreat benefits, nice work environment. Friendly staff.

ConsVery stringent security policies. Move towards more government contracts is detrimental to other projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for training or perhaps some tuition reimbursemept.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible Senior Management - Zero Leadership

ProsCo-workers were like family, no dress code, flex hours

ConsThe President and Vice Presidents do not have leadership skills and are a joke. People work there for any reasons other than them, which never makes any employees happy in the long run. They give too much power to the Operations Manager, who is in way over her head, unapproachable and overworked. And HR is untrustworthy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet leadership training. Quit putting so much emphasis on proposals, people actually work for you on current projects and deserve credit! Get a new President who is actually full-time and who is a leader. Being a cocky surgeon who's too busy to be bothered even showing up should not be the impression the majority of staff has and it is.

Good research, poor management

Analyst (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsGreat interesting research. Lots of intelligent people to work with.

ConsThe vacation time they offer is a trap and dishonest. No one takes all the days offered. Managers have no management training. Poor communication between supervisor and subordinate, so when problems occur the subordinate takes the hit. laid off, fired, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your managers social skills.

You had to be there.

Programmer II (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsArbor is an awesome family to be a part of and contribute to meaningful work that changes and even saves patient lives.

ConsUnfortunately, not all companies can be like Arbor and leaving this wonderful family is definitely a very difficult to do.

Working at AR is exciting and interesting.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

Pros1. Employee stipend for parking and transportation; Encouragement and support for using alternate/mass transit.
    2. Very cool workspace. Lots of light. Careful thought put into collaborative space.
    3. Dynamic leadership.

ConsNew employee orientation can be kind of skimpy. There are many acronyms that fly around that are not defined at orientation, so it's hard to grasp the full scope of the projects.

Great Relationship with UM - Biostat

Research Analyst (Bio Statistician) (Former Employee)

ProsThey had many collaborative projects with the University of Michigan. My co-workers were very passionate about the research and I built relationships fo life. The benefits were fantastic!

ConsManagers were not trained as managers, simply promoted into their positions without any seemingly clear vetting process. They lacked appropriate skills and seemed over-worked. Senior Leadership in general were clearly at odds with each other and lacked basic business and operational knowledge.

Great co-workers, bad leadership'

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOutstanding benefits and PTO package. Great downtown setting.

ConsSenior Management is greatly lacking in leadership skills. Little communication from the top. Low employee morale.

Worked for Arbor Research Collaborative for Health? Contribute to the Community!