Arbor Research Collaborative for Health

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014
3.2

Robert Merion

Good people passionate about their work

Former Employee - Research Analyst  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Arbor Research Collaborative for Health for more than a year

Pros

AR has a lot going for it. The organization is doing well and has opportunities for advancement, but the main advantage is the fantastic office culture. Very few people are there just for the paycheck. You aren't expected to be there 24/7 -- the office is practically empty by 6 pm -- but employees care about the organization's mission and actively work to further it. It is a truly collaborative environment, and its organizational structure reinforces the team mentality without being cultish. Another review here complained about managers not being trained as managers, but I actually felt like promoting from within allowed the managers to understand what needed to be done (as well as pick up slack during the busiest times). My direct manager was one of the best mentors I've had, and I do not think he would have been as effective coming from a pure management background. Perhaps other managers are not as good, but the problem is definitely not universal. Senior leadership was also great. The DOPPS lead PIs are wonderful people who care about you as a person and about the work you are doing. If you've ever worked in an environment where you sit in meetings and watch silently as others take credit for and/or belittle your accomplishments and contributions, you know how deflating and toxic that can be. I never saw that happen here. AR leaders make a conscious effort to acknowledge and thank you in front of your coworkers and collaborators. It makes for a wonderful workplace where you know that others appreciate your efforts. I would absolutely consider working here again if I moved back to the Ann Arbor area.

Cons

The nature of the work makes for fluctuating work demands with considerable extra effort required immediately before proposal deadlines. Some of the external collaborators can be difficult to handle, and the additional burden caused by working with ambivalent or unfocused collaborators is borne almost entirely by the project's analyst. I personally felt some fleeting frustration over this issue, but I imagine it would compound over time; I perceived it to be the main reason for analyst attrition. Because of data security concerns and the desire to quickly hand off projects from one analyst to another, AR can be a bit slow to adopt innovation (see: using SAS for everything, including tasks better handled in R). However, the standardized process helps inexperienced analysts develop and maintain a workflow conducive to reproducible science. The company is also growing somewhat quickly, so the friendly, supportive atmosphere might change in the coming years. (On the other hand, if I had to choose a company that could pull off such a transition, it would be AR.) Overall, there is nothing so bad that it would prevent me from strongly recommending this workplace to friends or family.

Keep up the good work! Do everything you can to keep the current culture intact as you expand the organization. Manage external collaborations more closely to ensure that analyst time is spent wisely and to prevent endless "fishing expeditions" for collaborators with ill-defined goals. Consider making advancement pathway more widely known.

Interesting company in AA

I have been working at Arbor Research Collaborative for Health

Pros

The company has a strong belief in charitable activities and are always holding events to benefit local charities. Majority of the research being conducted is fascinating.

Cons

There are a lot of cliques in the office and if one isn't accepted by certain folks there is very little chance of promotion. Very high turnover, with many being recruited to work at U of M. And for a non-profit company they spend a lot of cash on staff lunches, outings and other "perks".

Find out what is needed to retain the good employees who do their job well and enjoy it, rather than letting them be pilfered by competitors.

great organization

I worked at Arbor Research Collaborative for Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

people are nice, smart and hard working
    good benefit

Cons

salary is not high, small organization

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent benefits package. Very policy oriented orginization.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Arbor Research Collaborative for Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, nice work environment. Friendly staff.

Cons

Very stringent security policies. Move towards more government contracts is detrimental to other projects.

Provide more opportunities for training or perhaps some tuition reimbursemept.

Terrible Senior Management - Zero Leadership

I have been working at Arbor Research Collaborative for Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers were like family, no dress code, flex hours

Cons

The President and Vice Presidents do not have leadership skills and are a joke. People work there for any reasons other than them, which never makes any employees happy in the long run. They give too much power to the Operations Manager, who is in way over her head, unapproachable and overworked. And HR is untrustworthy.

Get leadership training. Quit putting so much emphasis on proposals, people actually work for you on current projects and deserve credit! Get a new President who is actually full-time and who is a leader. Being a cocky surgeon who's too busy to be bothered even showing up should not be the impression the majority of staff has and it is.

Good research, poor management

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Arbor Research Collaborative for Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great interesting research. Lots of intelligent people to work with.

Cons

The vacation time they offer is a trap and dishonest. No one takes all the days offered. Managers have no management training. Poor communication between supervisor and subordinate, so when problems occur the subordinate takes the hit. laid off, fired, etc.

Train your managers social skills.

You had to be there.

Former Employee - Programmer II  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Programmer II in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

Arbor is an awesome family to be a part of and contribute to meaningful work that changes and even saves patient lives.

Cons

Unfortunately, not all companies can be like Arbor and leaving this wonderful family is definitely a very difficult to do.

Working at AR is exciting and interesting.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Arbor Research Collaborative for Health

Pros

1. Employee stipend for parking and transportation; Encouragement and support for using alternate/mass transit.
    2. Very cool workspace. Lots of light. Careful thought put into collaborative space.
    3. Dynamic leadership.

Cons

New employee orientation can be kind of skimpy. There are many acronyms that fly around that are not defined at orientation, so it's hard to grasp the full scope of the projects.

Great co-workers, bad leadership'

I worked at Arbor Research Collaborative for Health

Pros

Outstanding benefits and PTO package. Great downtown setting.

Cons

Senior Management is greatly lacking in leadership skills. Little communication from the top. Low employee morale.

Great Relationship with UM - Biostat

Former Employee - Research Analyst (Bio Statistician)
    Former Employee - Research Analyst (Bio Statistician)

I worked at Arbor Research Collaborative for Health

Pros

They had many collaborative projects with the University of Michigan. My co-workers were very passionate about the research and I built relationships fo life. The benefits were fantastic!

Cons

Managers were not trained as managers, simply promoted into their positions without any seemingly clear vetting process. They lacked appropriate skills and seemed over-worked. Senior Leadership in general were clearly at odds with each other and lacked basic business and operational knowledge.

Worked for Arbor Research Collaborative for Health? Contribute to the Community!