Arc Aspicio

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lynn Ann Casey

Great company to advance your career and grow your skill-set!

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWith the leadership, vision, and guidance from colleagues I have been able to really grow my career here. I was previously at a larger consulting firm and I can honestly say that I have learned more about myself and accomplished more here in my 1.5 years than my 3.5 previous years combined at the larger firm. Leadership truly does see their employees as their greatest asset and despite the other posts - they do everything they can to grow their careers and make them happy. The company also has a strong strategic vision developed by leadership - which helps to maintain employee confidence and morale for the future and growth of the company. The access to and dialogue with company leadership is a true benefit - especially to junior employees starting off in the business. Not many companies are like this.

ConsSome people may argue that some company policies are out-of-date and/or not aligned with industry standards (i.e. telework, time off) - but the truth is if you are a high performer this is not a concern. Management understands the difficulty if working full time and balancing this with life responsibilities - and they do everything they can to accommodate this.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in your people as your greatest resource/asset. The organic growth at the company is unrivaled and is a true differentiator among the company's competition.

Stable but uninteresting dysfunctional family

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome highly competent people, stability.

ConsUninteresting work, cronyism. Being "in" with execs is all that matters. Cult worship rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek better work. Pay your people a living wage while they build your fortune.

Excrutiating growing pains

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery mission focused - the company seeks to bring on people who are passionate about Homeland Security and have a desire to make the DHS community a better place.
    Many government contracts are going the small-business route, which is beneficial to the company.

ConsExtremely high turnover/burn-out rate, probably due to the fact that the pay scale is significantly below market value and because of the iron fist of the owner. She works 24/7, and expects everyone else has the same schedule.
    Employees have no choice whether or not to be involved in business development or company matters. They are forced to own business opportunities, write proposals, conduct interviews and participate in other company (non-billable) work while maintaining a high billable hour threshold, effectively putting in well over 60 hours/week.
    Employee feedback is often sought, but rarely applied. Results of employee surveys seemed to be products of fuzzy math and data skewing.
    Employee skillsets are often not aligned with roles and responsibilities, or taken into account when staffing projects. A competent, senior level employee might be placed into a lower-grade role to fill a gap, but may be left there until s/he gets frustrated and leaves. Meanwhile a new, more junior employee who reassigns all tasks assigned because the employee does not know, and does not care to learn, how to complete them, is considered to be "delegating" and is promoted without any experience or management understanding. Also, an employee with a strong business development background may be placed on a project where s/he is required to conduct menial tasks in an unknown business area.
    Favoritism is obvious and often very manic - you could be at the top of the heap one day, and at the bottom the next for no apparent reason.
    Performance reviews are a moving target. Leadership changes the rules as it goes along, especially as it pertains to salary evaluations and bonus/promotion opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your home base. Client-facing employees will appreciate having staff at the home office who are dedicated to business development, proposal writing and other operations. Calling on client-site employees as SMEs is ok. Requiring them to participate in business development when they are trying to prove value at a client site is not.
    Place employees in positions that are appropriate to their skill set, expertise and interests. If they tell you that something is a right fit, do not dismiss them as complainers or non-team players, especially if they have not show themselves to be as such in their tenure.
    If you want to continue to hire and retain high-performing individuals, do not place them in positions that have no future or opportunity.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work with leadership that cares

Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsArc Aspicio established a culture where people are expected to work hard and, in return, are recognized for their critical company contributions. It is an open environment where employees at all levels share ideas and help one another grow both professionally and personally. Also, there is a great deal of growth potential for those who are willing to put in the time and effort to advance their career.

ConsAs the company continues to mature and grow, recommend revisiting the benefit package and enhancing and/or finding additional benefits that the employees would find valuable.

Great people to work with, but lots of micro management and low benefits/ pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood for young professionals trying to get their foot in the door to consulting. The people you work with day-today are great to work with and eager to help you with any issues you are facing.

ConsThey get young people with little experience, so the salary pay is extremely low. The benefits are horrible and not what you see at other consulting firms. Micro- management is a common practice in the company, resulting in unmotivated and unhappy employees. Unfortunately, many of the cons written here are true. Some business practices are a bit shady.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen and take care of your employees. The people who work here are talented and eager to make an impact on the mission and to their project. However, with the low wages and benefits, and a micro-management leadership style, many people do not stick around. You have a great team employees, listen to their concerns and try to be more competitive with other consulting companies. This company has great potential to be an amazing company to work for, you have talented, passionate, and overall great people working for you. Work towards listening to them, offering decent salaries, and recognize people for their hard work on company and project work.

Please give me the option of 0 stars!!!

(Former Employee)

ProsThere are none unless you enjoy being worked to the bone and having zero recognition for the project work you do.

ConsPlease do not make the same mistake I did and don't fall for their game. They tell a great story, however there is little substance or truth behind it. They lie about valuing work/life balance... There is no such thing there. They lie about ethics... They manage by fear and retribution rather than empowerment. They lie about valuing clients... As an employee, even if your client is thrilled with your performance, it means nothing for your corporate performance review. They lie about valuing their people... Get ready to do endless proposal writing, forced business development, writing blogs and white papers...

Advice to Senior ManagementStop writing bogus reviews of your company (notice how the last few stellar reviews all have the same verbiage???)

Great company - offers tremendous growth potential and collaborative environment

ProsThe people. They hire strong consultants who want to help build the company, work to support each other, and deliver innovative solutions to their clients. Focused on career and skill development. Great for people who want to learn and be a part of running a business. Great for driven people who take a strong role in their own career progression and success. I have always felt supported by senior management, my peers, and team.

ConsSimilar to other consulting companies I have worked for, you have to learn how to help and guide your clients on the go. Unlike larger firms, you don't have the same level and depth of resources at your disposal.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemain focused on the strategy and avoid distractions

Tremendous learning and challenge

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat opportunities for career growth and interesting work.
    Very focused on clients' mission.
    Really care about people and their interests.
    Good leaders who are role models in consulting.

ConsClients in homeland security can be challenging (but this is often rewarding).
    Government consulting is changing and very competitive right now.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on how to scale the company as it grows. Don't change the high standards for hiring great people.

Great place to work!

Currently Employed (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsCompany is dedicated to the homeland security mission. They hire the best people out there. The people are very talented and are recognized by their clients frequently. The company has high expectations of its people. People can learn and grow quickly. Staff members are very close and there is a strong company culture. They've won lots of great awards including DHS one. Very good reputation. Company is mature and growing quickly!

ConsCompany expects people to work hard but they are rewarded for this with bonuses and growth opportunities. They get to learn about consulting and new business - overtime is not more than the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to help your people grow and learn. They are doing great things for the mission and they look to you for guidance and career growth!

Clients Beware

Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIf you're a recent college grad or looking to make a drastic career change (and take a drastic pay cut) and get into the national security arena, this might work out. They bring in a lot of new government contracts by bidding low so there's always new work. If you love low-level administrative work or aren't good at much else, they probably have some opportunities for you.

ConsLow bids on contracts means low salaries for employees; low salaries for employees means high turnover; high turnover means instability; and instability means clients are left wanting and probably won't come back when it's time for the next contract competition. Employees are required to spend extensive time on superfluous company fluff like writing blogs in addition to demanding hours fulfilling client demands. Employees who avoid the sophomoric self-congratulations of the company and focus on client delivery are ostracized by management. Compensation doesn't seem to be tied in any way to results and more on the level of flattery afforded upper management. Processes, while numerous, are immature but strongly adhered to and not suited to the scale of work the company is attempting to do which leaves associates fighting internal battles instead of delivering results. Employees who offer suggestions to management are punished and singled out during meetings. Interview and recruitment process is ridiculously long for a company of this size and for such inconsequential busy-work. Benefits provided don't nearly match industry standards and employees or clients are expected to bear much of the administrative costs of doing business.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to your employees and be willing to change direction and alter arbitrary policy. Bring up your benefits to a level that matches the industry you claim to compete with.

Worked for Arc Aspicio? Contribute to the Community!