Arc Worldwide Reviews

Updated September 28, 2014
Updated September 28, 2014

Arc Worldwide President and Chief Creative Officer, Arc North America William Rosen
William Rosen

Get in, Get your experience, and GET OUT

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Arc Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working here is your golden ticket to a better job... somewhere else. On the plus side, Arc is open to hiring those who are new to the agency world, so it gives you a chance to learn about the agency environment. This is a bonus because so many other agencies require agency experience before they hire you... kind of a double edged sword.

Cons

- Long hours and weekends (PMs are expected to stay with their teams if they work late)
    - Too much responsibility is placed on PMs, e.g. Devs, etc won't make a move until they get the direction from their PM. This requires too much hand holding from the PMs.
    - Management does not advocate promoting from within--they repeatedly hire sr staff over capable internal candidates
    - Pay is widely varied for the same role, and they pay far less than other agencies
    - Several women in our department had babies and returned, only to be "demoted" to menial operational tasks.

- Start promoting from within and stop moving new moms to reduced roles
    - Pay people what they're worth
    - Put quality employees in leadership roles, not just those who agree with execs

Good agency, great people

I have been working at Arc Worldwide full-time

Pros

Arc encourages insight driven, intelligent creative that impacts people.
    Positive culture plus talented people who constantly push themselves to be better. Lots of opportunity for advancement. A wide variety of brands to work on.

Cons

Far to much emphasis on winning awards. Very hard to get promoted. Arc needs to invest in the people who have committed themselves to the success of the agency.

Keep pushing the creative to unexpected places, but recognize those who deliver day in and out.

Wonderful company, full of innovation, wonderful people and wonderful ideas.

Former Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Arc Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of room for creativity. Lots of room for growth.

Cons

Very tight deadlines. Typically the deadlines don't budge.

Good and Bad

I have been working at Arc Worldwide

Pros

Some challenging projects and good people

Cons

Smart people leave quickly. People who prefer to be challenged move. Going through reorganization.

Lots of opportunity in a large agency with great heritage

Former Employee - Account Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Arc Worldwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to learn and offers many opportunities to work on some of the world's largest and most recognizable brands, across multiple marketing channels.

Culture is important here and many managers intentionally work to ensure teams are strong and work well together.

Cons

Long hours at the more junior levels.

good for a pit stop but a longer stay can destroy career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Arc Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great digs in downtown Chicago with a fabulous fitness center
    interesting people and occasionally some good work
    learn new things
    free coke/coffee

Cons

immature company culture, top brass is very cliquish; most of the work is not appreciated by the clients...frequent rework and the great hunt for a scapegoat is very common
    young-skewing employees with no experience are running big projects with the " are we there " school of project management!
    no clear sense of responsibility, - no performance reviews

grow up! There is a reason why there is so much attrition. Focus on the employees and not on being cool

Lots of interesting projects

Former Employee - User Experience Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - User Experience Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Arc Worldwide as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

There are many interesting projects to work on at Arc and talented team members to work alongside.

Cons

Some of the senior product side people are less than wonderful to work with, very intolerant of ideas that have not originated with them and poison the work environment with hostile attitude.

Great freelance experience

Former Employee - Senior Content Strategist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Content Strategist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Arc Worldwide as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

This is my favorite agency to work for and I'm a repeat contractor who has worked at big and small agencies. The teams I have worked on have all been comprised of smart, funny and quick people who know what they are doing. The best part of working here has been the organization level of the PMs- they know how to delegate, organize and herd cats. Seriously. I can't be the only one who appreciates getting clear direction and deadlines on my part of the project. They help you succeed in your role and you can't ask for anything better than that. They're also very cool about working remotely and flexible hours.

Cons

As others have mentioned, it's very difficult to get to know anyone, especially those who are not on your team or on different floors. And if you are a freelancer, it's even harder. Everyone is very busy and it can be cliquey. Also, freelancer are never invited to events or parties, which shouldn't be an expectation but it's nice to be noticed sometimes. I don't know what it's like to be here full-time/perm, but I have noticed that people tend to work a lot of overtime on some projects but that is probably to be expected anywhere.

I don't have any advice. From a freelance perspective, I've been very happy with the organization and experience at Arc.

Positive experience for eight year stint

Current Employee - Account Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Arc Worldwide full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong leadership, Quality Work, Great culture

Cons

Heavy workload, but expected in the industry

Consider work/life balance a bigger priority

Embarrassing Work 24/7

Former Employee - Associate Creative Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate Creative Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Arc Worldwide as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

There's some nice creative people and free beverages

Cons

Hours of meetings every day to discuss the next meeting and meetings about meetings-and oh yeah loooong 'brainstorms' with 'ideas' that end up in over-produced 'white pages'. End result of 12 hour days and weekends? "Enter to Win the Coke Holiday Give-a-way.
    I'm not bitter, since I've only freelanced there, but I don't know why anyone would pick this place for a long career. There's not much I'd be proud to show in my portfolio, but if you like making hackneyed work really complicated, this is your place!
    As far as day rates go-they are shameless. THEY MAKE YOU SIGN A CONTRACT EVERY WEEK TO WORK 7 DAYS, but you only get paid for 5.
    The contract says 'Monday-Sunday', which means if you get paid 500.00 a day and you work 14 hour days and have to come in on the occasional weekend, you'd be better off waiting tables.
    The company is rife with talented people who should get the hell out of there. Once you work there, forget a portfolio that gets you noticed.

Stop making everything so complicated and loosen up. Manage your clients. Don't be mad that people have personal lives and doctor appts.