ArcBest Technologies

Profile Unclaimed

ArcBest Technologies Reviews

3.2

David A Cogswell

People are the company's greatest asset.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at ArcBest Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lower management really respects employees. It is a very friendly work environment. Would recommend this place to anyone.

Cons

Not many cons. There is a lot expected of you. Very few layoffs because there is such high need for employees.

Depends On What You're Looking For

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Fort Smith, AR
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Fort Smith, AR

I worked at ArcBest Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In general, you work a standard 8-5 job. This is not some Silicon Valley start-up where you will be working 80 hours weeks. In general, you are trained well enough to do your job, but it will take you several years to gain the business knowledge necessary to be truly proficient. As far as I know, it's basically impossible to get fired unless you just stop showing up to work or something.

Cons

If you are interested in working with the latest and greatest in software development, this is not for you. Many of the larger systems are total "spaghetti code".

Whether you will like this job depends totally on what you are looking for. The vast majority of people who work at DTC simply program to make money and go home to their family. If you view programming as more of a lifestyle and is even something you enjoy in your free time, you will probably be frustrated by the other employee's lack of passion for building great applications and writing quality code. If you just want a stable job to provide for your family, this might be a decent job for you.

Promotions are essentially time based. Been there 3-4 years? Prepare to move up to Business Analyst. Another 3-4 years, another promotion. It is possible to move up slightly earlier than your less productive colleagues, but not much earlier.

Large projects are not managed especially well, though this is also a problem in most software companies. You will have quite a few "we need this right now" demands from upstairs, as well as management occasionally throwing extra people at a project which drags it further and further behind as adding more team members to an already behind project often slows down progress even more.

Management is doing pretty well given the situation they are in. They have a ton of legacy code to maintain and there is no business value in re-writing everything cleaner and using more up-to-date tech. My advice would be to not be afraid to promote talented developers faster, even if they been at the company for less time than a less productive employee. I have nearly doubled my salary by simply leaving for another job. Achieving the same salary at DTC would probably take around 10-15 years.

Low Stress, Felt Used

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Fort Smith, AR

I worked at ArcBest Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work environment was low stress. Always had projects to work on. Project priority was given weeks in advance so there was time to schedule work load. Compensation was also fairly good for a starting job.

Cons

Primarily COBOL programming despite a mutual agreement that this wouldn't be a COBOL position when the job was offered. Very little was done to correct the situation even though it was acknowledged by management.

Department culture was very much each man for himself. Little knowledge share or help from coworkers. A strong focus on seniority with no concern for ability. If you get lucky and end up in a department where the senior developers are competent and helpful probably not bad.

Poor training. Very little learned while there. In jobs since DTC I have learned more about programming in 3 to 6 months than I did during my 2 years at DTC.

A really good first internship

I worked at ArcBest Technologies

Pros

Good salary for a summer internship. Nice friendly environment. Fort Smith is a wonderful town. Learned various object oriented methodologies and model view presenter design pattern

Cons

They seem to be outgrowing themselves.

Systems Analyst

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Fort Smith, AR

I worked at ArcBest Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, flexibility with your hours, you are working with some very smart people. The training is top notch.

Cons

I got laid off after less than a year and it makes it difficult to find a new job. The older, more established workers look at all the newer programmers like they are idiots who don't know what they are doing.

Great starter job.

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Fort Smith, AR

I worked at ArcBest Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly, relaxed environment. There are some tremendously bright employees. They do exploit new technology and if you can get Dave Cogswell interested in a new technology, it is implemented quickly.

It is a great first job - easy to learn as much as you want about all aspects of IT. I will always be greatful for having worked at DTC for my first 5 years of my career.

Arkansas is a great place to live especially if you like outdoor activities.

Cons

The best and brightest tend leave after 3-5 years as the raises, promotions and task opportunities are not merit based.
      There is a mold you must fit into to be appreciated by management - be white, be married (marry young and stay married), have at least 2 kids, be a baptist (or if not a baptist be VERY involved with your church). If you are a woman, you must be feminine and non-assertive. Just make sure you understand this going in and you will be ok.

The promotions and raises are based on seniority and whether you fit the mold. Want a raise? Get married or have another kid. That being said there are clueless people in many senior and management positions. Whether you will be able to learn and grow will depend on whether you land under one of the clueless or one of the talented.

The best area to work in is tech services.

Ft smith isn't the best place to live if you are single. Of course management does strongly favor marriage between coworkers. :-)

Pay based on merit if you want to retain talented employees. The 20% who contribute 80% are continually leaving for greener pastures. If you retained those employees instead of the deadwood you wouldn't have to continually increase our staff size.

Be aware that managers and senior staff suppress ideas and innovations. The insecure often force employees to accomplish tasks in the most inefficient method resulting in cost overruns and missed deadlines.

A good place to work but not a great place to advance up the ladder...

Current Employee - Project Analyst in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - Project Analyst in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at ArcBest Technologies

Pros

Very consistent and fair. Base salary is great, work environment is pretty good, etc. Job stability is great as well. I do think that management is concerned about the employees but are unable to recognize or reward them appropriately because of the state of the trucking industry and ABF profit issues.

Cons

Extra compensation is nearly nonexistent, business is directly tied to trucking industry, many levels of analysts but very very few will ever actually make it to the higher levels and even less will make it to management... and if you do it'll take 20 years. Last complaint is that its very difficult to get recognized or move ahead of less-skilled workers. It gets a little frustrating knowing that you can do a job literally 10 times faster than someone else but you get paid the same or less. I can't tell if management notices it at all.

It would be nice to be rewarded for above and beyond performance or at least be recognized for doing more work than other employees. There are guys working there that are so terrible at the technical aspects of their job yet they get compensated signifantly better because they have 10 years more tenure. I know that compensation has decreased lately so other things should be changed to offset it to keep employees... more flexible work times, remote access, dress code (casual friday), etc.

Good Place To Work Bad Place To Get Promoted

I have been working at ArcBest Technologies

Pros

Very Good People
    Concern For Employees

Cons

Raises Non-Existent
    Very Little Upward Mobility

Getting and Keeping Good People Takes Money.

Great FIRST development job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at ArcBest Technologies

Pros

Sharp coworkers
    High starting salary compared to similar entry level jobs in the state
    "Family" culture - great if you fit the exact profile that they're looking for, 2.3 children, etc.

Cons

Few promotions, never based on merit, follow a strict timeline
    Low raises based primarily on seniority
    "Family" culture - people with no children can be treated differently

Base raises/promotions on ability and results, not just seniority. You might lose less of your brightest entry-level devs this way. It's hard to stay motivated when nothing you do (besides show up at the cube for 20 years) will get you ahead in the company.

Used to be a great place to work

I have been working at ArcBest Technologies

Pros

Family-oriented company, there are many friendly and intelligent coworkers, flex time.
    It is a good place to start an IT career.

Cons

Very slow promotion rate - completely non-existent the past few years. Promotions are mostly based on time instead of performance. Lagging behind the industry in technologies.

Take care of the good employees you have - there are several. Fight for them to get the raises and promotions they deserve. Listen to your employees.

ArcBest Technologies Photos

Outdoor patio area
Front of the office during a winter snow

+ Add Photo