ArcelorMittal USA Reviews

Reset
3.6
ArcelorMittal USA CEO ArcelorMittal USA Andy Harshaw
Andy Harshaw

Pros
  • Great internship program and mentorship for young engineers starting in the steel industry (in 9 reviews)

• Pretty good benefits and bonus structure (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There's an exceptionally high turnover rate especially among young people due to the culture, work/life balance,etc (in 4 reviews)

• Disconnected from upper management (in 3 reviews)

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Division Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Division Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ArcelorMittal is a global company with a very large footprint, making it easy to learn about different cultures and people around the world through your work here. In addition, the company values its people. The benefits are good, there is a strong respect for work/life balance, and a deep pride in knowing that you work for a company whose products make the world go round.

Cons

Because ArcelorMittal is made up of many different predecessor companies with a long cultural history in their own right, there is often some tension between employees or facilities who were connected to one company vs. another. As the company matures, I hope this will become less of an issue and more employees will identify as ArcelorMittal rather than Inland or Bethlehem, etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to identify young talent and nurture them into leadership roles.

2. Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Chicago, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Chicago, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA

Pros

They have great Benefits and Bonuses

Cons

Company too large and confusing to navigate

Advice to Management

Promote from within and improve communications and Systems

3. ArcelorMittal Indiana Harbor

Current Employee - Process Engineer in East Chicago, IN
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in East Chicago, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have held 3 different positions between Indiana Harbor East and West over the past 5+ years, and I have always had new challenges. This keeps the job interesting, and gives me a sense of purpose.

Cons

Most people take pride in their work, but there are always some on the other side. As with most companies, not everyone always has the best attitude, and some need a little more convincing than others.

Advice to Management

Spend some more time and money maintaining the equipment as well as training the maintenance staff, it would help productivity greatly.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in East Chicago, IN
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in East Chicago, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ArcelorMittal values people. That's, I think, one of the most important values this company has. Value people = personnal/work life balance, career opportunities, professional growth, benefits.
    The working environment is very democratic, everyone's opinion is taken into consideration. You feel you are respected and your efforts are appreciated.
    I've been working here for mor than 5 years now, and I have made friends for life at work.
    If you're struggling with something, there is always some one to land a hand. This makes the environment lighter, and very collaborative.
    But, don't get me wrong, we're challenged all the time, but I see that in a very positive way. Makes me stronger, better.

Cons

Too much democracy can lead to losing focus, and I feel sometimes things take longer than it should be.
    I gave 4 stars to Career Opportunities, because despite there is a lot of opportunities, keep in mind not all of them are for everybody. It all depends on what you do and how prepared you are.
    I gave 4 stars to Work/Life balance as well. Actually, we have flexible hours, but at the end of the day I work more than the regular 8 hours a day (or 40 hours a week). Management is pretty flexible when it comes to working hours and very respectful to my time and personal needs. But, you gotta love what you do, because it is very intense.

Advice to Management

Management is pretty flexible, respectiful to my time and personal life. If I would give them an advice, I would say: keep on doing what you are doing now!

6. Great Global Company

Current Employee - Representative - Human Resources in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Representative - Human Resources in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at ArcelorMittal has provided a number of developmental opportunities through lateral moves, project assignments, and the Company's formal tuition reimbursement program. It is a dynamic industry with various opportunities for those who are motivated to work to attain them!
    The Company values their employees and have some of the greatest people working here. Additionally, the compensation and benefits package is unbeatable!

Cons

Being a global company certainly presents challenges that do not necessarily exist among small organizations. The typical challenges one would expect would be the delay in decision making and execution for certain projects.

7. ArcelorMittal USA - Burns Harbor, IN

Current Employee - Process Automation Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN
    Current Employee - Process Automation Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good to gain important experience.

Cons

The environment can be very dirty depending on the department.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice at the moment

8. Innovative & Progressive

Current Employee - Process Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Process Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While the culture varies based on your location and setting, the culture in the corporate office in Chicago is great. I get to work with colleagues that are smart and take pride in their work. There is energy around ensuring that the company remains ahead of its competitors and a clear leader in the industry not just in terms of sales but also in terms of culture, pay, benefits, etc. At the steel plants, the culture is clearly different given the nature of the job but there is still a strong level of collegiality.

Cons

The steel industry may not be the most appealing sector. That said- I've been impressed with all of the initiatives the company has created to encourage corporate social responsibility and sustainability. There is also a cultural shift happening as many baby boomers continue to retire and thus creating room for younger individuals. With the latter, there are naturally some challenges.

Advice to Management

Continue to place an emphasis on corporate responsibility, sustainability, and staff culture and inclusivity. Doing so will ensure that you remain relevant, attract & retain top talent, and remain a leader in the industry. Look for ways to continue diversying the profile of those you hire and continually develop learning opportunities for managers to learn how to better lead their teams in order to improve retention across all sites.

9. The Laziest Management You Will Ever See

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burns Harbor, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burns Harbor, IN

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company if you are in the union!

Cons

Company promotes the stupid, lazy management

10. Lead Specialist

Current Employee - Lead Specialist in East Chicago, IN
    Current Employee - Lead Specialist in East Chicago, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Good and competitive salary. Dedicated professionals. Company cares about the communities in which their offices are located. Diversity good when considered on a global perspective. Lots of places you can work if openings exist. The owner (Mr. L. Mittal) seems to be very thoughtful and wants to be innovative. The company really cares about safety - it isn't just talk. Steelworker for the future program is an excellent opportunity for 'growing' the labor force of the future. When the steel industry is doing well, bonuses are very nice. Opportunity to be a world-class leader is always in view. Our customers think highly of us. Our partnerships with our customers generate innovative solutions that help people. When plants are closed, they make a genuine effort to relocate all workers impacted.

Cons

The steel industry itself has cyclical challenges that cause concern regularly on your future employment. Diversity in the US is not really very good in management and salaried positions. College recruiting in US is very restrictive. Good candidates are missed because they aren't from certain schools. My observation has been that Performance Evaluation is executed in a manner which demotivates staff rather than helps them grow. The opinions of the professionals hired for their expertise seem to be discounted by the decision makers too frequently. Old fashioned policies about work schedules seems to be the norm - no part time for salaried staff, work from home discouraged, etc.

Advice to Management

If you evaluate or measure the success of the GEDP (Performance Evaluation) process, you would find that forcing lower ratings has NOT produced more quality as you claim. Rather, good employees have left. Global diversity statistics make you think diversity within the US is good when it is not. A serious look at your US diversity will show that you are declining rather than improving. The US policies are out of step with the world. Part time, job sharing and work from home opportunities would make many of your employees more productive. Listen more to the people who are the doing the work.

11. Great learning experience , environment is a concern

Former Intern - Process Automation Engineer in East Chicago, IN
    Former Intern - Process Automation Engineer in East Chicago, IN

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As an Intern, I had a mentor assigned to work as a my daily manager. He helped me get adjusted work through parts of my project, and also taught me about the organization.

Most coworkers were friendly and helpful.

Cons

The manufacturing environment was a bit overwhelming. There are lots of machinery and trucks moving about the mill. Constant vigilance is a must to ensure self safety.

Advice to Management

Teaming the interns would be nice socially, however, more out of work intern projects could help with that as well.

ArcelorMittal USA Response

May 14, 2015Representative - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback. I cannot agree more with your statement that “constant vigilance is a must to ensure self safety.” ArcelorMittal believes that everyone has a continuous role to play in ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed