ArcelorMittal USA

ArcelorMittal USA Reviews

Updated Mar 8, 2014

ArcelorMittal USA President and CEO Mike Rippey

Mike Rippey

Pros:
  • "The steel industry has a great history in America and workers are proud of what they do"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Great benefits, good pay, good learning opportunity"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very little to no opportunity for career advancement for non-Operations, non-engineering support staff"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Management is very bad, big turnover rate, Poor experience"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Don 't drink the koolaid

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA

Prospays well if you are experienced and can negotiate it upfront. Entry level and interns are treated very well, better than those that have been there for a few years.

ConsPoor management, cares nothing about employees' personal or professional development. HR will flat out lie to you when they say you have all kinds of opportunity to move into different positions. Once you are in a department, that's where you stay. Do not disagree with management, or make suggestions, you will be labeled a problem employee and a troublemaker. Union runs the place, management has no backbone and they will not stand behind you. Sinking ship,stay away.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo hope, this place is on its way out.

ArcelorMittal purchasing - surrounded by great people

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time for more than a year

ProsAbility to gain experience quickly. Access to purchasing opportunities on a wide range of commodities (logistics, energy, raw materials, leasing, etc). Ability to move into other departments if desired. Lots of work to be done for big dollar decisions. Management gives great support.

ConsCompany/environment not well equipped to handle change. Information systems need work. Still seems like a group of companies that were thrown together but never actually "merged".

Advice to Senior ManagementAlign goals better between departments. Invest more in information systems

Challenging, rewarding, humbling

Manager (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork some of the industry top professionals. Excellent work ethic in my department. Ability to move around the company, even across the globe.

ConsVery large company. Salaries could be more competitive. Corporate bureaucracy seems to hamper process and departmental effectiveness.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive up the vacations, bonuses and salaries to keep talented people in-house. We seem to lose a lot of hard workers due to competition in the market.

Hollywood couldn't better portray a more toxic culture.

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time for more than a year

ProsMost people are genuine and do care for others. You also learn a lot about the steel industry.

Cons*There is little to no room for advancement within the company, HR will tell you differently during the recruiting process (please note: they will blatantly lie about everything of importance during the recruiting process).
*There's an exceptionally high turnover rate especially among young people due to the culture, work/life balance,etc. Most leave within 2 years.
*Engineering receives final word on everything so tension is high and the efficiency of the material through the pipeline is poor, very poor
*Equipment is very old and resources are scarce so no improvements have been or will be made
*The oldest technology and methods I've ever seen, union environment so positive change is thwarted
*Never able to accomplish anything due to bureaucracy and others circumventing implementation because they're fearful of change and/or someone else receiving praise
*Seniority rules the day so old, obsolete methods also rule, more credibility is received as you're there longer (other manufacturing companies encourage new perspectives and company changes every 2-4 years for this very reason (new outlooks))
*Legacy steel companies which were once rivals have all been merged so conflict is rampant
*Old-boy network based on legacy company is also rampant, everyone else is immediately an outsider
*Have lost money in 4 consecutive quarters

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't envy those who have to guide the direction of this sinking ship (down).

Gain great experience at a large company

Human Resources Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- The benefits are excellent. Compensation is great at the start as well.
- Provides a great opportunity for college graduates to gain exposure to a worldwide organization.
- Most of the people are great to work with.

Cons- The political structure is less than desirable
- Union environment can get old after awhile. It also tends to delay projects and assignments for months.
- Movement within the organization is minimal with little opportunity for advancement. A lot of college graduates gained experience and left for other opportunities.

Great Internship for Engineering

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA

ProsHands-on Experience
Something new everyday
Great people

ConsDirty Environment
Safety not always a concern

It was a very filling experience, the amount of metallurgy you can learn while being a part of it is amazing!!!

Associate Engineer (Current Employee)
East Chicago, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA as an intern for less than a year

ProsGetting to work with engineers who have years and years of experience and show you the way forward.
Great equipment for research.
Just one great place to be.

ConsCould the pay for an intern be 5$ higher for the hourly rate?
I dont know, not my serious complaint because working at AM is simply amazing.

Great place to work, with wonderful people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Very friendly place to work
- You get to interact with people with years of experience in the field
- Good learning opportunity if you are enthusiastic about new areas of expertise

Cons- Though I don't have any complaints personally, I can see someone frustrated with some of the processes in the organization. (The steel market is changing and AC is making steps to accommodate these changes, people might sometimes be lost along the way.)

Process Manager

Process Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent benefits and - for the type of industry - very good working conditions.

ConsSomewhat limited opportunity for growth.

intern

Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA as an intern for less than a year

Prosgreat intern program with great people

Conslacked meaningful work for new interns

Advice to Senior Managementplan

Worked for ArcelorMittal USA? Contribute to the Community!

ArcelorMittal USA Videos

ArcelorMittal USA – Why Work for Us?

ArcelorMittal is the world’s leading integrated steel and mining company. With more than 260,000 employees in 60 countries, we are the leading supplier of quality steel products in all major markets including… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ArcelorMittal USA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ArcelorMittal USA CEO Mike Rippey. All 71 reviews posted anonymously by ArcelorMittal USA employees.