ArcelorMittal USA

ArcelorMittal USA Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

ArcelorMittal USA President and CEO Mike Rippey

Mike Rippey

Pros
  • Great internship program and mentorship for young engineers starting in the steel industry(in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits, good pay, good learning opportunity(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is very bad, big turnover rate, Poor experience(in 5 reviews)

• Very little to no opportunity for career advancement for non-Operations, non-engineering support staff(in 3 reviews)

Gain great experience at a large company

Human Resources Representative (Current Employee) Burns Harbor, IN

Pros- The benefits are excellent. Compensation is great at the start as well.
    - Provides a great opportunity for college graduates to gain exposure to a worldwide organization.
    - Most of the people are great to work with.

Cons- The political structure is less than desirable
    - Union environment can get old after awhile. It also tends to delay projects and assignments for months.
    - Movement within the organization is minimal with little opportunity for advancement. A lot of college graduates gained experience and left for other opportunities.

Great Internship for Engineering

ProsHands-on Experience
    Something new everyday
    Great people

ConsDirty Environment
    Safety not always a concern

Challenging, rewarding, humbling

Manager (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsWork some of the industry top professionals. Excellent work ethic in my department. Ability to move around the company, even across the globe.

ConsVery large company. Salaries could be more competitive. Corporate bureaucracy seems to hamper process and departmental effectiveness.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive up the vacations, bonuses and salaries to keep talented people in-house. We seem to lose a lot of hard workers due to competition in the market.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a very filling experience, the amount of metallurgy you can learn while being a part of it is amazing!!!

Associate Engineer (Current Employee) East Chicago, IN

ProsGetting to work with engineers who have years and years of experience and show you the way forward.
    Great equipment for research.
    Just one great place to be.

ConsCould the pay for an intern be 5$ higher for the hourly rate?
    I dont know, not my serious complaint because working at AM is simply amazing.

Great place to work, with wonderful people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Very friendly place to work
    - You get to interact with people with years of experience in the field
    - Good learning opportunity if you are enthusiastic about new areas of expertise

Cons- Though I don't have any complaints personally, I can see someone frustrated with some of the processes in the organization. (The steel market is changing and AC is making steps to accommodate these changes, people might sometimes be lost along the way.)

Process Manager

Process Manager (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits and - for the type of industry - very good working conditions.

ConsSomewhat limited opportunity for growth.

intern

Intern (Current Employee)

Prosgreat intern program with great people

Conslacked meaningful work for new interns

Advice to Senior Managementplan

Good place for an Engineer without experience

Project Engineer (Current Employee) East Chicago, IN

ProsLots of training and experience to gain.

ConsJob titles matter very little when it comes to engineers. Everybody does a little bit of everything. IT work, software development, secretary work, management.

Don't expect to be here for the long-haul

Electrical Intern (Former Employee) East Chicago, IN

ProsThere's a lot of stuff to learn about and be exposed to here. A lot of this place is a dinosaur, so you have the chance to see how things worked 40 years ago as well as more modern equipment.

ConsPay is fairly below average for engineering interns, especially considering how large this company is.

There seems to be very grim prospects for new full time hires. The turnover rate for new associates is extremely high, and It's not hard to see why. 50 hour weeks are considered standard, and many people are expected to be on call 24/7. At the same time, wages are stagnant after hire. Other nearby companies offer 15-20% raises to jump ship and do similar work. It's not to see why nearly all of the young engineering staff plan to leave within the next 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet engineers know what they are getting into when they are hired.

Offer competitive salaries with other companies in the area if you want to retain employees.

Good

Engineer (Current Employee) Burns Harbor, IN

ProsGood bonus, 401 K benefits, good health insurance

Consless vacation days, lot of pressure form senior management.

Worked for ArcelorMittal USA? Contribute to the Community!