ArcelorMittal USA

ArcelorMittal USA Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

ArcelorMittal USA President and CEO Mike Rippey

Mike Rippey

Pros:
  • "The steel industry has a great history in America and workers are proud of what they do"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Great benefits, good pay, good learning opportunity"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very little to no opportunity for career advancement for non-Operations, non-engineering support staff"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Management is very bad, big turnover rate, Poor experience"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Internship for Engineering

ProsHands-on Experience
    Something new everyday
    Great people

ConsDirty Environment
    Safety not always a concern

Great place to work, with wonderful people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Very friendly place to work
    - You get to interact with people with years of experience in the field
    - Good learning opportunity if you are enthusiastic about new areas of expertise

Cons- Though I don't have any complaints personally, I can see someone frustrated with some of the processes in the organization. (The steel market is changing and AC is making steps to accommodate these changes, people might sometimes be lost along the way.)

It was a very filling experience, the amount of metallurgy you can learn while being a part of it is amazing!!!

Associate Engineer (Current Employee)
    East Chicago, IN

ProsGetting to work with engineers who have years and years of experience and show you the way forward.
    Great equipment for research.
    Just one great place to be.

ConsCould the pay for an intern be 5$ higher for the hourly rate?
    I dont know, not my serious complaint because working at AM is simply amazing.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Process Manager

Process Manager (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits and - for the type of industry - very good working conditions.

ConsSomewhat limited opportunity for growth.

intern

Intern (Current Employee)

Prosgreat intern program with great people

Conslacked meaningful work for new interns

Advice to Senior Managementplan

Good place for an Engineer without experience

Project Engineer (Current Employee)
    East Chicago, IN

ProsLots of training and experience to gain.

ConsJob titles matter very little when it comes to engineers. Everybody does a little bit of everything. IT work, software development, secretary work, management.

Don't expect to be here for the long-haul

Electrical Intern (Former Employee)
    East Chicago, IN

ProsThere's a lot of stuff to learn about and be exposed to here. A lot of this place is a dinosaur, so you have the chance to see how things worked 40 years ago as well as more modern equipment.

ConsPay is fairly below average for engineering interns, especially considering how large this company is.

There seems to be very grim prospects for new full time hires. The turnover rate for new associates is extremely high, and It's not hard to see why. 50 hour weeks are considered standard, and many people are expected to be on call 24/7. At the same time, wages are stagnant after hire. Other nearby companies offer 15-20% raises to jump ship and do similar work. It's not to see why nearly all of the young engineering staff plan to leave within the next 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet engineers know what they are getting into when they are hired.

Offer competitive salaries with other companies in the area if you want to retain employees.

Good

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Burns Harbor, IN

ProsGood bonus, 401 K benefits, good health insurance

Consless vacation days, lot of pressure form senior management.

Enjoy working at this company

Project Engineer (Current Employee)
    East Chicago, IN

ProsThe benefits are very good.

ConsEconomy is causing some issues

Good initial pay that stagnates, long hours, unpleasant management

Process Engineer (Former Employee)
    East Chicago, IN

ProsGood initial salary. They go through a lot of people so they will likely take you even without much experience or credentials

ConsMy first impression working here was that everyone seemed a bit down and grumpy. Everyone is subject to really long days, overworking, and lack of appreciation. Yelling and scolding is the dominant communication method.

Initial salary is very competitive, but it stagnates very quickly, typically 2-3% per year, and upward mobility is very limited. No one from my hire group got any significant promotion within 3 years

After I'd worked there for 6 months, HR called in my hire group (20-something people) to do some training and evaluation. At the end, they asked "Would you recommend this job to a friend? - the WHOLE group drops dead silent. Not one person evn said maybe.

The average turnover for employees is roughly half within 2 years - which is a LOT It's seems inviting at first, with lots of new faces around. But then you learn that everyone that can find a better job will leave.

The standard work day is 10 hours, in my area was 6-4. Occasionally, problems will happen in your area that require you to say a half hour or an hour longer, with "occasionally" being once or twice per week. Many positions will require you to be on call in addition to this. Many people in middle management get woken up in the middle of thie night more than once per week for miscellaneous problems.

Everything seems stretched to the breaking point, including the workers. It is not a pleasant place to work.

Many people find it difficult to work with the union, but I found the workers to be the most pleasant and easiest to work with out of anyone. I work for a contractor now that works with ArcelorMittal and other places, and many of the people I work with have the same impression and experiences about the company that I do.

Advice to Senior ManagementLevel-headed conversations and respect would be a good place to start. There is simply no reason to feel the need to yell at and insult people on a daily basis.

Worked for ArcelorMittal USA? Contribute to the Community!

ArcelorMittal USA Videos

ArcelorMittal USA – Why Work for Us?

ArcelorMittal is the world’s leading integrated steel and mining company. With more than 260,000 employees in 60 countries, we are the leading supplier of quality steel products in all major markets including… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ArcelorMittal USA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ArcelorMittal USA CEO Mike Rippey. All 76 reviews posted anonymously by ArcelorMittal USA employees.