ArcelorMittal USA Reviews

3.4
ArcelorMittal USA CEO ArcelorMittal USA Andy Harshaw
Andy Harshaw
1 Rating

Pros
  • Great internship program and mentorship for young engineers starting in the steel industry (in 9 reviews)

• Excellent work-life balance, good benefits, and great co-workers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little to no opportunity for career advancement for non-Operations, non-engineering support staff (in 3 reviews)

• There's an exceptionally high turnover rate especially among young people due to the culture, work/life balance,etc (in 4 reviews)

1. great company in terms of benefits and good coworkers atmosphere; pretty slow on some decisions that take for months...

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA

Pros

good atmosphere, good benefits, good coworkers

Cons

slow decision making, long response time

improve IT

2. Intern with little to do

Former Intern - Associate Engineer in Cleveland, OH
    Former Intern - Associate Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

There are some great people, friendly and kind who you will have the chance to work with. This is a highly efficient mill with new technology and new steel grades coming into it. There are opportunities to be a part of some very cool advancements in the industry.

Cons

There isn't a lot of distinguishment in compensation or treatment between those who work hard and those who scrape by doing scarcely any work. Also, the union culture sometimes prevents efficiency in production by enabling two or three individuals to share work which could easily be performed by one.

Seek to get all employees more equally involved in and dedicated to the company. Perhaps change the current compensation strategy to be more dependent on employee performance reviews.

3. AM/NS Calvert - Be cautious!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calvert, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calvert, AL

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was great, the best co-workers I've ever had! Good training classes/programs.

Cons

Very poor management. Employees that do not do their share of work and miss a lot of time are allowed to get away with it, while really good employees who work hard and never miss work take up the slack and do not get recognized for it. Too many audits after company takeover last year, and after a few months went by after the buyout the extreme changes started coming. I was harshly interrogated for two hours and then put on suspension for 3 weeks for something that I did not do and they never had proof (because it didn't exist) but lost my job anyway for "violation of company policy" but they could not tell me which policy. This all came from the corporate office and our local HR department knew nothing and could give me no information. Consulting a lawyer. The bad thing is that I absolutely loved my job and always received high reviews, never missed work, and have very high work ethic. This was devastating and out of the blue! The way this was handled is absolutely horrific!

Get a backbone and stand up for your employees who you have always trusted and know are good ethical workers!!

5. great learning opportunity, industry experience

Former Intern - Metallurgical in Indiana Harbor, IN
    Former Intern - Metallurgical in Indiana Harbor, IN

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

excellent mentorship as an intern, reasonable amount of freedom to work independently

Cons

intern living arrangements, interrelations between engineers/hourly

6. Great Experience

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA

Pros

I worked here for a summer and it was a great experience, everyone was nice and helpful. I learned a lot and the pay was good for a summer internship.

Cons

Sometimes there was a lot of down time especially when there is an outage, and sometimes people would be stressed out when there was something wrong in the mill.

Compensation was great and opportunities were there for improvement

7. Good company

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA

Pros

Good opportunities to grow and implement projects

Cons

management can be hard to deal with sometimes

8. Moments of satisfaction sprinkled with overwork and frustration.

Current Employee - Technical Services Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN
    Current Employee - Technical Services Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA

Pros

Lots of highly skilled and knowledgeable coworkers to learn from and to help guide you along your career.

Cons

Frustrating upper management decisions and almost no ability to induce change among the union work force. Long hours with minimal comprnsation, even after repeated attempts to garnish help or an increase in salary.

9. Work Experience

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA

Pros

Friendly Associates
    Very Nice Place to Work!!!!

Cons

25 Miles out of Mobile
    Very few places to eat at lunch

10. Good company to intern for but has its drawbacks

Former Intern - Intern in Conshohocken, PA
    Former Intern - Intern in Conshohocken, PA

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Positive working environment where everyone takes pride in what they are doing. Management, HR, and all other workers took good care of the interns and gave meaningful assignments.

Cons

The plant I worked in seemed a little outdated compared to other steel mills which made it difficult to be efficient. Down time can become very long especially when the mill goes down for whatever reason. As an intern this led to some boredom after all assignments were finished and the mill was down.

Lobby with corporate for some up to date equipment

11. Great intro to the industry.

Former Intern - Associate Engineer-Electrical in Indiana Harbor, IN
    Former Intern - Associate Engineer-Electrical in Indiana Harbor, IN

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I worked at Indiana Harbor, their biggest facility in the states.
    -For the most part, you get real projects that can help the company
    -Great introduction to heavy industry and safety culture
    -The company allows you to tour a lot of their facilities so you can appreciate the entire process
    -In my experience, this company does what they say and say what they do
    -They hire a lot of interns from the partner schools and you get to live together, which makes it a fun summer, I met great friends from around the midwest.
    -Living an hour train ride from Chicago is great

Cons

- Other interns mentioned the union relationship being tough
    - Pay for engineering interns is low compared to other industries
    - The intern program isn't standardized among the NWI locations, so some people have different experiences depending on where you work. The Harbor is nice though.
    - The area is not very nice, which doesn't matter as an intern but isn't going to be great for new hires or full-timers

The training is great, but they need to find a better way to make the opportunities to go full-time seem more attractive.