Arch Coal

Be The First To
Add Photos

Arch Coal CEO John W. Eaves

John W. Eaves

Good place to work but the industry is heading south.

I worked at Arch Coal full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people to work with, good benefits, and had a very laid back work environment.

ConsLittle room for advancement, coal industry is suffering greatly, executives and operations dislike IT.

Incompetent IT management and executives who fail to see the big picture (and the writing on the wall)

IT Person (Former Employee)

I worked at Arch Coal full-time

ProsNice people, good and cheap benefits, laid back

ConsThe CIO never held a technical position nor a position in an IT department before coming to work at Arch. Big dreams and fantasies that either never happened or were complete disasters. IT management won't speak to you after you put in your resignation. Management refuses to listen to their employees, from technical decisions all the way down to hiring decisions. Management meddles in day to day tasks and don't let the people they hire to do the job actually do the job.

Executives refuse to see the writing on the wall and have refused to move into other energy sources. Majorly failed acquisition in 2011 has put the company at the brink of bankruptcy.

Advice to Senior ManagementIT management at Arch needs gutted.

Conservative company with friendly employees

I have been working at Arch Coal full-time

ProsFriendly employees. Unbelievable medical benefits plan, very cheap with amazing coverage.

ConsConservative business environment. No flexible schedules. Not much internal communication.

Great while it lasted.

ProsBenefits, Salary, Vacation, self directed

ConsMarket is heading downhill; new acquisitions were done at the wrong time; good old boy attitude

Laid back atmosphere, good people to work with, not a ton of overtime

IT Support (Former Employee)

I worked at Arch Coal full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLaid back atmosphere, fun place to work, good salaries, not expected to work too many nights/weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that in the worst times, employees need to be given the truth regarding their employment. Layoffs and closures at/of coal mines starts to concern the people in the HQ, too.

Good Luck

I T Administrator (Former Employee)

I worked at Arch Coal full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are nice people within the IT staff. Large turnover so you get to work with a variety of people.

ConsThe management is a political monster. HR does not negotiate during the interview process. Double check what your skills are worth and think twice about this sinking ship. There needs to be a management overhaul before it gets better.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your staff and treat them like adults, not children.

Good but not great - dysfunctional management

I worked at Arch Coal

ProsGood benefits. Good people to work with.

ConsManagement with personal agendas. little collaboration. Compensation compared to expectations and competencies is low

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people what they are worth, and then listen to their recommendations.

part of my set goals in life

Prep Plant Supervisor (Former Employee)
Percy, IL

I worked at Arch Coal

ProsGood Benefits, health care, and good salary

Consworked 12 days in a row and off two days for 18 years!! And there were three times in my 18 years there where i worked over 50 days in a row without a day off

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to listen to the front line supervisors

Very pleased with my experience with Arch Coal,and hope to retire with this great company.

Appalachia, VA

I have been working at Arch Coal

ProsSafety is always top priority with this company. The upper management is very qualified and capable to lead this company into the future. The benefit package is as good as any in the industry and the future looks good for the company.

ConsDifficult at times being a supervisor working with a union workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to offer higher wages in certain job postions to attact a better quality workforce.

A day at black thunder

Pit (Current Employee)
Wright, WY

I have been working at Arch Coal

ProsThe pay and benifits and the ability to make a beter Life for your self . That is all i can realy say that is good about black thunder

ConsAll thay think about is There numbers not about the worker we get in trube if we go to the bathroom and the boss is not the sharpest tool in the shed

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about thay just stop and think about more then them self and try to talk to the staff and ask them one on one

Worked for Arch Coal? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Arch Coal reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Arch Coal CEO John W. Eaves. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Arch Coal employees.