Archant

Add Photos

Archant CEO Adrian Jeakings

Adrian Jeakings

Friendly, supportive work environment

Group Human Resources and Recruitment (Current Employee) Norwich, England (UK)

ProsExceptional co-workers who are great to work with (everyone's very friendly); Vast range of employee benefits (uncapped commission schemes, charity matched-funding, etc); Ideas are encouraged; Training events, conferences and seminars arranged for staff; Very competitive pay; Opportunities to move across and work in different areas of the business; Innovative products and happy employees.

ConsNot much to say here, I'm really enjoying my time with the company. It is a fast-paced environment, which works great for me but maybe wouldn't if you're a more leisurely worker.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job, as far as I'm concerned. I would come and speak to someone if I did think of anything.

Sweatshop journalism

Journalist (Current Employee) Norwich, England (UK)

ProsTitles are well respected in the community, decent canteen (if you like chips). Was once a nice place to work.

ConsNo respect for work life balance, body clock busting mix of shifts, quality is an afterthought, middle management extremely demanding but inexperienced and with little idea of how to motivate people, ridiculous demands inhibit ability to produce good journalism.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in journalism, train managers in how to manage.

OK but not for life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Norwich, England (UK)

ProsInhouse canteen, pension scheme employer contributions match employee's, good promotion of work life balance at lower levels

ConsLack of training and devlopment, no maternity benefits, papers - feeling of being in a declining market

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus on developing staff rather than recruiting from outside, better maternity benefits

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Norwich, England (UK)

ProsReally good people work there and make working there bearable.

ConsA company who show no respect and year on year shaft their staff in every way at every corner.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone suitable for this site.

Newspaper printing is not the place to be in modern times

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Norwich, England (UK)

ProsPay can still be high in printing. Rewards on a personal achievement level can be high.

ConsWorry about the future is high for newspaper circulation and content. Web information as it is will worry this company.

Frustrated in an environment that didn't empower or embrace the future

Account Director (Former Employee) Norwich, England (UK)

ProsBig company and therefore, at the time, secure. However, as the regional newspaper / magazine landscape has deteriorated, the company looks more precarious.
    Local

ConsAlmost monopolistic and therefore complacent.
    Betrayed the journalistic values by putting ads before reader value.
    Unempowering
    Blinkered
    Refuses to accept that root and branch business review is required.

Advice to Senior ManagementRoot and branch review is needed to change how profitability is secured in radically altered media landscape.

Tough place to work, worked into the ground

Reporter (Former Employee) Norwich, England (UK)

ProsSalary is better than many other local papers; quality of papers is good. Good for own career advancement, but then get out.

ConsNewsroom not plesant place to work, very tough, you work long hours, relentless...no transparency between management and staff..office politics, poor leaders, incompetent management,
     the usual.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it a more pleasant working environment and improve work life balance of staff

Worked for Archant? Contribute to the Community!