Archant Reviews

2.7
Archant CEO Adrian Jeakings
Adrian Jeakings

1. Investigations Journalist

Current Employee - Investigations Journalist in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Investigations Journalist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Archant full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A large regional publisher that produces some outstanding weekly newspaper brands

Cons

No daily newspapers produced from London

Advice to Management

Focus on structured career progression for journalists

2. Disappointing

Pros

The office was fantastic with great facilities and an exciting work atmosphere. It is one of few companies you can feel proud to work at and tell others about. The training is very thorough and allows you to meet other newbies and settle into your environment.

Cons

This had been my dream job for a number of years, however my expectations of the company were not met by any means once I had started. Everyone I spoke to seemed to have worked there for years on end - which seemed like a very positive sign! However this proved to have some real disadvantages, due to the 'clicks' which had formed throughout the office and created rivalry. Honestly, it was worse than High School! From the moment I joined, I was treated like an absolute joke. They expected a huge amount of commitment from me (of which I of course complied), and in return treated me like an outsider and took every opportunity to patronise and manipulate me. More and more childish behaviour led me to report my colleagues to management - who turned out to be very close to their hearts. So to speak my complaint was not listened to, nor was it acted upon. For a company that prides itself on being 'a family business', it has a real hatred of change to a very tight system. I cannot recommend this job to anyone who wants to be involved with their team and get on with their colleagues.

Advice to Management

Change is not your enemy! Learn to listen to your new staff, instead of only taking in the words of those who have been with the company for 20 years. The chances are, they won't say a bad word against you, whereas an outsider's view can be very refreshing. Also when a complaint is given about work place bullying, it is never something which should be taken lightly or ignored.

3. Good company for graduates to learn about local news and local businesses

Current Employee - Account Manager in Ilford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Ilford, England (UK)

Pros

Company invests in its people and invests in technology to maintain competition amongst local peers. good brand consistency in london brands which can also be a bad thing though as london boroughs have their own dress sense.

Cons

verry very cliquey. you need to be pally with someone in senior management to progress... inward attitude toward paying well and new comers have no chance of career progression - horizontal progression at best, regardless of achievements.

Advice to Management

lots of room to grow given the expansive opportunities in digital

5. Behind the times

Pros

There are some real stars hidden away at Archant - I was lucky that my line manager was one of them.

Cons

There wasn't enough understanding at a senior level as to actually what all parts of the business were trying to do.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to pretend you 'get' digital by launching bad copies of other successful digital brands. Either invest in the right people and trust them to deliver, or just stick to what you know.

A company working hard in a challenging marketplace

Current Employee - Commercial in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Commercial in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Archant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong Board Great people with good digital expertise Always willing to challenge what they do to bring something new and relevant to their customers

Cons

Don't pay front line staff enough especially sales & editorial Regions don't maximise use of group level resources. Too much duplication Sales targets drive to wrong beahaviours

Advice to Management

Get out into the regions and meet customers more From a sales perspective the interaction with the customer is critical - this is also where we have the best opportunity to improve

7. Confused regional media company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Industry standard salary, good benefits package if you can crawl up the corporate ladder which currently is staffed by the same middle aged men as it as been for the last couple of decades.

Cons

Senior managers with inflated opinions of their own ability, whole business unclear as to who it's audience really is, as opposed to who they would like it to be. Poor internal systems, non existent marketing budgets, if you can only use a newspaper read by pensioners to promote latest mobile app the results and response for your customers is going to be limited, especially if the app is clubs and bars in London. This is just one example of a very confused newspaper company trying to reinvent itself .

Advice to Management

Recognise Norwich is an outpost and as such you will not attract serious group level talent to come and work there. Invest in marketing as there are some good ideas that are poorly executed.

8. Double Glazing Pushy Sales Approach

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Norwich, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Norwich, England (UK)

I have been working at Archant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of movement for progression into other areas of the business as well as on a geographical basis too!

Cons

It was like working with a bunch of double glazing sales people who didn't care about ROI for their clients, just themselves!

9. Sweatshop journalism

Current Employee - Journalist in Norwich, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Journalist in Norwich, England (UK)

I have been working at Archant full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Titles are well respected in the community, decent canteen (if you like chips). Was once a nice place to work.

Cons

No respect for work life balance, body clock busting mix of shifts, quality is an afterthought, middle management extremely demanding but inexperienced and with little idea of how to motivate people, ridiculous demands inhibit ability to produce good journalism.

Advice to Management

Invest in journalism, train managers in how to manage.

10. Friendly, supportive work environment

Current Employee - Group Human Resources and Recruitment in Norwich, England (UK)

I have been working at Archant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exceptional co-workers who are great to work with (everyone's very friendly); Vast range of employee benefits (uncapped commission schemes, charity matched-funding, etc); Ideas are encouraged; Training events, conferences and seminars arranged for staff; Very competitive pay; Opportunities to move across and work in different areas of the business; Innovative products and happy employees.

Cons

Not much to say here, I'm really enjoying my time with the company. It is a fast-paced environment, which works great for me but maybe wouldn't if you're a more leisurely worker.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job, as far as I'm concerned. I would come and speak to someone if I did think of anything.

11. OK but not for life

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwich, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwich, England (UK)

I worked at Archant full-time

Pros

Inhouse canteen, pension scheme employer contributions match employee's, good promotion of work life balance at lower levels

Cons

Lack of training and devlopment, no maternity benefits, papers - feeling of being in a declining market

Advice to Management

More focus on developing staff rather than recruiting from outside, better maternity benefits

RSS Feed </> Embed