Archdiocese of Louisville

Archdiocese of Louisville Reviews

Updated Jun 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Losing ground by chasing numbers

Teacher (Current Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsWhen I began in the early 90s, a premium was placed on substance over style. Now, it's flipped! While most colleagues stayed very kind and helpful, those who moved into administration lost that virtue in practice. Other teachers and counselors continued to work with mutual support, respect, and fellowship.

ConsLeadership has drawn dangerously close to marketing at all costs. They establish glitzy ad campaigns, constant efforts to be 'customer friendly' have led to a steady, and somewhat ruinous new cultural norm of pandering to the loudest parent or student, while administration positions itself on their side and suspect of the teacher before the facts of a situation are established. Promising an all attentive, constantly upgraded customized approach to address perceived desires of 'clientele'. Institutional trust now extends to allowing students to manipulate with little negative consequence while teachers are forced to spend greater volumes of time and energy trying to oh so diplomatically bring forth the truth. Teachers are imperfect, to be sure. However, the vast majority are dedicated professionals who give immense amounts of their lives to work with students (in and out of classroom). More and more, morale in private schools diminishes as teachers are placed in positions where they are forced to 'dumb down' curriculum, minimize student effort, and extol those same students as scholars. Any teacher who wants to keep their livelihood knows that they have no tenure, no union, no real meaningful job security of any type-- so they roll over ethically, put on a big smile, and spend more effort trying to entertain the masses than educate.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromising the moon to parents whose teens have reached high school without learning to do homework would be laughable if it were not the default procedure. Whatever it takes to bring 'em in the door and keep tuition dollars pumping, sports and extra curricular activities as the prime drivers for public support- then, rinse, repeat, and develop even more non teaching roles (with salaries) to perpetuate the system. Marketing is great until it becomes the true master in a Catholic High School. We can't run the places on a corporate model, without corporate compensation, and then demand all plaster on a happy face in order to keep their jobs. Faith, family, and education are the top priorities that must be reinvigorated. A compassionate, sincere, Christian educational environment is not possible if the those pursuits are constantly at the mercy of a Macy's mentality. We're better than that. God help us. We had better be.

Great company but needs more diversity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits package for employees. Provided many opportunities to develop skills and gain experience.

ConsLittle diversity within the organziation. The organization as a whole can benefit from diversity sensitivity training. Not much opportunity to advance and annual compensation increases are small. Worked lots of overtime as a salaried employee.

Maintain facilities all over their properties.

Maintenance Assistant (Current Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsEnvironment, people, and fun place to work.

ConsLow pay scale and no respect for their workers.

Advice to Senior Managementpay more to the important workers.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Archdiocese of Louisville is a disappointing school system.

Teacher (Current Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsThe best part about working at a school in the Archdiocese of Louisville is having a good community of coworkers. We help each other get through all of the ridiculous situations that arise that the Administration should take care of, but doesn't. We are a team.

ConsThe school where I teach has an awful administrative team. The teachers have unrealistic expectations thrust upon them, there is a huge sense of entitlement among families, and the administration puts little or no responsibilities on parents and students, making it very difficult for teachers to do a good job.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more teacher input on policies before they are put in place, spend more time in the schools and interacting with students and teachers, and research more current education trends and statistics to keep the school system up to date.

Worked for Archdiocese of Louisville? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Archdiocese of Louisville reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Archdiocese of Louisville employees.