Archdiocese of New York

Updated Jun 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Cardinal Timothy Dolan

A very friendly work environment, but they could be more pro-worker.

ProsA lot of autonomy. Generous vacation leave on top of Catholic holidays. Staff are friendly.

ConsVery minimal benefits package. Salary increments do not foster motivation or loyalty. Little room or interest to move up in a slow-to-change environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more honest and direct interest in employees. Skim off some of the less competent and jaded employees who fail to change with the time. Provide better pay and benefits for the amount of work provided.

Catholic Charities Community Services

Disaster Case Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsEntry level positions get paid a living wage. Decent number of paid vacation days. They hire internally, so it is possible to get a promotion.

ConsThe culture is bureaucratic, and their health benefits do not cover reproductive care, nor do they recognize domestic partnerships. Also, no dental or vision coverage.

Working in a school was brilliant but the leadership was unbearable.

Teacher (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsWorking with children who enjoy being in a classroom, coworkers were fantastic and made life easier, consistent and good schedule.

ConsPoor benefits and weak pay relative to other school systems, system is constantly downsizing and eliminating positions: was laid off and not placed in a new position.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost can accept making less money than their peers, but also being asked to take on a tremendous amount of additional tasks beyond the regular 8 hour day is not something that should happen.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosnot many. lots of days off.

Conseveryone overworked. mgmt has more infighting and does not know the processes which are needed to enact goals. literally sat in meetings where one boss was screaming at another.

Advice to Senior Managementhave the leadership of your corp do the rounds. let them be open. try to do their job.

Social Services Should Not Be a Numbers Game.

Case Manager (Former Employee)
    Bronx, NY

ProsI was able to work with many mental health clients with different needs and I was able to build my knowledge of Supported Housing Programs in NYC area.

ConsManagement runs like a dictatorship. I was expected to wear many "hats" but not given the adequate time or resources to do so. I was not given a "heads up" about the work completed before I had arrived which caused me to question the validity of my paperwork, important documents etc.Salary was the minimum required for my degree. My salary was higher than employees who had worked for the company for almost a decade.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk questions do not assume. Be involved on the inside not just the outside. Embrace the cultures and values of the Agency's mission statement. Honesty is the best policy. This is not a Fortune 500 company where numbers are key. Remember we are working for people in need, not working against them.

Not a bad organization to work for.

ProsCatholic values, Holy Days of obligation off of work, positive religious influences, great mileage reimbursement

ConsNot all offices are the same as far as support, no tuition reimbursement, supervisors tend to higher based on who they know and who you know a little more over qualifications.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter supervision and guidance to employees

If you want rewards in Heaven, take a job here.

Educator (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat people to work with.

ConsPoor pay, teachers expected to exceed New York State & New York City standards for half the money. Poor school leadership, in that the leaders don't live up to values intrinsic to the faith they espouse. .Why should the superintendent make so much more than the teachers and principals. The average teacher makes less than $50,000...the superintendent makes over $250K...

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees better. Treat them like professionals..

Worked for Archdiocese of New York? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Archdiocese of New York reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Archdiocese of New York CEO Cardinal Timothy Dolan. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Archdiocese of New York employees.