Archdiocese of St Louis Reviews

Updated May 4, 2014
Updated May 4, 2014

2.1

Robert J. Carlson

nice, but outdated in many ways

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Archdiocese of St Louis

Pros

job stability
    closed christmas
    catholic holidays off
    decent pay
    lots of work events, if you like that stuff.
    i dont

Cons

too many work events to take away from work
    low raises
    lack of basic computer skills from department heads
    behind the times in benefits and work hours

Need to update benefits
    add flex time
    more maternity leave
    more starting vacay
    better pay and higher raises.
    need tuition discounts in catholic schools
    otherwise, ok

No technology, low pay and wish I had another job !

Current Employee - Accounting Clerk  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Accounting Clerk in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Archdiocese of St Louis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible and allowed me to have work/life balance, but had to make up hours within the week.

Cons

Very strict, no technology and low if any raises. 13 days vacation and 10 sick. (but do not use sick days you will be written up).

Management needs to get with the 21st century, this place is ran like it was in the 1950s.

Family friendly, poor supervision

I worked at Archdiocese of St Louis

Pros

Family friendly, flexible and great technology.

Cons

Poor supervision (not qualified), nepotism.

Training for management that do not have formal education.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenges of Catholic Education

Former Employee - High School Teacher  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - High School Teacher in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Archdiocese of St Louis

Pros

The work itself is satisfying and valuable.

Cons

No reward for excellence other than recognition by parents. Mediocre teachers are allowed to continue teaching--and make just as much as dedicated instructors who put in extra time. See below.

There needs to be a merit-based system of pay. In the coming years, as older teachers retire and young replacements face a growing burden of debt (average student loan debt out of undergraduate studies stands at $18,900), there will be very few replacements at the current rates of pay. In some ways, the Archdiocese is asking many lay teachers to act against their vocation (which for most is to build a good and godly family) when it asks them to sacrifice the financial future and security of their family and children.

If the Church is going to "walk the talk" when it comes to social justice issues of fair wages and pay, they need to start paying into Unemployment. It is blatantly unjust that teachers from closing schools cannot collect unemployment benefits. Some might rightly call it exploitation, especially when teachers aren't warned about lack of unemployment benefits when they are hired.

There have been multiple teachers and staff at several Catholic schools that told me to get out of Catholic education because their was no future for a family on the pay.

archdiocese of st louis needs competent leaders

Former Employee - Grade School Teacher  in  Perryville, MO
    Former Employee - Grade School Teacher in Perryville, MO

I worked at Archdiocese of St Louis

Pros

The benefits package is good. The insurance package is very affordable, especially for the family insurance plan. The cost of the insurance is the same for two or more family members. Working for a school is always nice because of the summer schedule, and you get a lot of holidays during the school year. Also, if it snows the schools are the first to close, so you do not have to worry about getting to work on snowy mornings.

Cons

The leadership is weak, especially among the clergy. People are put into positions of authority without training or expertise in the field of management. Leaders disrespect employees and abuse their power by making irrational decisions that are only self-serving to them, and not for the benefit of the institution.

train administrators before putting them into positions of power and authority.

Poor Treatment

I worked at Archdiocese of St Louis

Pros

Retirement benefits were excellent, loved my old boss.

Cons

Expectations are high; they want you to do CPA level accounting for an accounting clerk position and low pay. They don't train you; very little communication and they expect you to read their minds. I was there for six years; was well admired and praised for my work. Then they sent me to another office with a horrible boss-and all of a sudden I was reprimanded for not doing my work. Found fault in everything I did. I want to learn and grow; but to be talked to like I am an idiot does not work for me.

Need to communicate and encourage interaction. Show a little appreciation for all of our efforts even if we don't meet your high standards.

Worked for Archdiocese of St Louis? Contribute to the Community!