Archdiocese of Washington

Updated Feb 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Cardinal Donald Wuerl

Great place to work. Management is fair and benefits are good.

I have been working at Archdiocese of Washington full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work and life balance.

ConsNone that I can think of.

I loved the environment, staff, and kids.

Title I Teacher (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Archdiocese of Washington as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsI loved working at St. Anthony Catholic School. The staff cared about children, and children were respectful. There was a lot of emphasis on effective instruction and children's progress was monitored by administration throughout the year. Higher officials from the ADW visited the school often. The school has a good reputation in the city.

ConsTeacher pay is probably lower than public schools in the area.
Some new students and parents are not informed that the level of rigor may be different (higher) than what they're used to. So, sometimes new students begin to fail, and they and their parents are disappointed.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a contractor my pay was different from regular teachers. Find ways to compensate staff better, and possibly offer teacher-mentor opportunities with stipends. Some teachers were very talented and could have helped mentor others. At the least, they could have led some professional development meetings at times.

Very trying, sometimes rewarding, but not what you'd expect of a religious organization.

School Office Manager (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Archdiocese of Washington

ProsReligious holidays and flexible schedule (in accordance with my children's school calendar).
It feels good to know that I'm working within the community, particularly with children.

ConsIf you are a single parent and your immediate supervisor is a religious, assumptions are made very quickly. Sometimes, they tend to talk down to you with complete disregard for feelings and interpretations. Some think that becuase they wear a collar or a habut, they can talk to you as honestly and freely as they please because they are doing "God's work". ... this is coming from ten plus years in the archdiocese at three schools.

Think carefully

Teacher (Current Employee)

I have been working at Archdiocese of Washington

ProsThe children and parents. It's good to see how the chidren progress over the years. Professional colleagues really do care about their jobs.

ConsThe oversight at this organization is seriously lacking. There is way too much automony. At any given time, different schools are operating entirely differently from others. If a school should have less than effective leadership, there is no system in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate

Worked for Archdiocese of Washington? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Archdiocese of Washington reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Archdiocese of Washington CEO Cardinal Donald Wuerl. All reviews posted anonymously by Archdiocese of Washington employees.