Architech Reviews

25 reviews filtered by
4.1
Architech CEO & Founder David Suydam
David Suydam

A good stepping stone, solid employment, no advancement, not a career.

I worked at Architech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for autonomy, just want to code and don't care about job advancement this is the job for you.
    - Agile development company with no reporting structure. No boss to tell you what to do and give you directions.
    - If you are assertive and proactive, you can get yourself assigned to most project you like.
    - Good variety of projects because most of them are short term.
    - Strong software engineering culture where front-end development is a low priority. But very collaborative and capable coworkers. .

Cons

Stepping stone until you find another place with mentorship and career advancement.
    - There's very little opportunity for career advancement because that's reserved for a few of the bosses' favorites
    - You have to find your own way because there's no boss, no mentor and no one to guide you or give you objective feedback
    - Lack loyalties to workers. Recently they had "parted ways" with people whom skillsets no longer align with their ever changing company goals.
    - Low employee engagement and moral - seemed like HR's only job is to recruit and fire staff.

Advice to Management

Get some executive couching. Lead by listening: don't just get feedback from the customers get it from the staff as well.

2. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Architech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, culture, environment , salary

Cons

Challenging environment (This is not a cons for me for it is for some)

Technical Lead

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Architech full-time

Pros

Very nourishing environment for engineering. Always looking for talent and you get to work. Very accommodating to change. Very good benefit program. Executives are very approachable. Time available for learning in personal growth and professional growth. Compensation is above average. You are treated well as long as you deliver and you are truthful.

Cons

Changes tend to happen too often for us to catch up sometimes.

Good experience overall

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Architech full-time

Pros

- Fast paced environment with a variety of challenges; never bored on the job
    - Very intimate environment with opportunity to really get to know people, including peers and management
    - Lots of opportunity to take the initiative and forge your own path. However this can be a con as well depending on the personality as there isn't the strict career path that exists at some larger companies.

Cons

- Frequent changes, sometimes in different directions with conflicting or mixed messages
    - Perception of favoritism. Real or not the perception is there.

Advice to Management

Sometimes clear objective communication without trying to put the best light on things works best, especially internally.

The Best People!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Architech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- With hard work, it is possible to move up within the company and get more responsibility quickly
    - Small, lean team with a really great work ethic, strong desire to do good work and treat each other well
    - Fun events, tons of learning and development and cool client projects to work on
    - Opportunity to try out a bunch of different technologies

Cons

Because of the project based business model, we move desks quite a bit to sit with our project teams. Some members don't love the fluidity and constantly changing environment, however some seem to love it

Advice to Management

Keep spending time with your employees, it is noticed and appreciated!

Great company, great team

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Architech as a contractor

Pros

The company has grown a lot in the last few years, which can be a challenge for any organization large or small. But more than any place I've worked previously, there's still have a very strong sense of team at Architech. That's really the baseline here. People really care about their work and, with very few exceptions, about each other. Those who've come into the company with a "me me me" attitude quickly realize it's not a good fit. Free snacks and company events are fantastic.

In terms of the projects - total variety. The clients, the objectives, the technologies and scope - you get a bit of everything here. It's really impressive to see people so passionate about their work, and sharing ideas and learnings. And even more impressive is that they support each other. Very cool.

Cons

Sometimes project teams have to put in long hours, but that's pretty much the nature of the software beast no matter where you work. And it's still hands down better than agency life. OMG, so much better than agency.

Great culture, interesting work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Architech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What I love most is the culture - although the free snacks are great too. I've never experienced such a strong sense of community in an organization. Everyone is so friendly, welcoming and passionate about what they do, it makes coming to work fun.

The senior management is friendly, and there are many new opportunities. There are many projects on the go so things stay interesting. The office is really nice and in a neat area, and very close to the subway. It's a great place to work.

Cons

Harder to get to know all the employees as some are not on site for projects and there have been many new additions to the team.

Empowerment

I have been working at Architech

Pros

Great work atmosphere with a vibrant culture, motivated employees and a fresh blue-sky approach that allows them to win interesting projects, small to large. Smart people that will challenge and push the boundaries to figure out the best solution for our clients.

Cons

We work on a wide range of projects, so the type of work can be unpredictable, which is always the counter to variety.

Awesome company, always a variety of work and great people!!

I have been working at Architech

Pros

- Always working with and testing the next big thing
    - Innovative, fresh thinking
    - Passionate team and leadership
    - High degree of professionalism
    - Strong identity, core values and purpose
    - Interesting variety of projects and clients
    - Collaborative environment

Cons

- Passionate teams which demand you need to keep update with your skills.

Beware of AstroTurf

I worked at Architech

Pros

The company is very image conscious, and does a fairly good job of promoting their brand.

Cons

I suspect many of the positive reviews on here are from the marketing team. The negative reviews are spot on.

Architech Response

Aug 12, 2014CEO & Founder

Thanks for your feedback. I agree, our team does great work in sharing stories about our projects, clients and employee culture.

While almost all of the feedback on glassdoor is listed as
    ... More