Archiver's

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great Atmosphere, So-So Management

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsI loved the ability to be around arts and crafts all day, help people design really cool scrapbook pages and cards, and just meet creative, fun customers. I enjoyed helping them find what they were looking for, and seeing that 'aha!' moment when everything came together was simply fantastic.

ConsPersonal growth was limited, and management had some issues. I loved my co-workers, but the management appeared to believe they were above their associates. They were not the easiest to work with as a whole. I feel that if the management was more supportive, and listened their employees a bit more, they may not have had as many company issues as a whole.

Out of Business

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsWhen the company first started, when I worked there originally, for the first 2 years, it was amazing. Lots of opportunity to make extra money helping to host events or teach classes, great people to work with.

ConsThe last 2 years I spent at my first location and the year at my second were less than amazing. No opportunity to move up, management paranoid that you were out for their jobs just because you're good, taking initiative meant you were stepping on the managements toes.

Amazing company to work for

Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsLove sharing my passion for the crafting making field. Fun job!

ConsLower pay but that's retail

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low pay and broken promises highlight working at this retailer

Instructor (Current Employee)

ProsProduct discount is a nice feature of working at Archivers but it's also dangerous because when you bring stock out of the store room to put on the shelves, you see all of the great product first hand and end up buying it!

ConsWhen I was hired, I was told I would be an instructor and a hostess for the Scrap Mania events on Friday and Saturday nights. Talk about a broken promise! These plum assignments were given to others and I was stuck constantly working the night shift which meant cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. Their bathrooms are the worst! Archivers should hire a professional cleaning service who are equipped to clean public restrooms. Disgusting!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lie to prospective employees in your interviewing process. And … hire a professional cleaning service to clean those disgusting bathrooms and maintain your floors. Yuck.

Fun Place to Work

Sales Associate and Instructor (Current Employee) Gurnee, IL

ProsLove working with friendly people who share my hobby and helping customers with their creative projects. Also enjoy seeing all the great new scrapbooking products.

ConsPay is low. Nights and weekends are required.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a cleaning service to clean the bathrooms and the floors.

Fun and laid back experience.

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)

Pros30% discount. Love being the first to see new product coming in.

ConsBeing an instructo it's difficult to teach a class for the first time when you never made the cards yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor instructors...give them a card kit to make themselves so when they teach that card class, they know how to make the cards!

In the middle of chapter 11 bankruptcy, but working hard to keep stores open.

ProsWork life balance, great product and overall concept. Lots of room for creativity and initiative.

ConsNo cohesive vision and company direction. Many stores closing, new announcements each month. No job security. Inconsistent communication and leadership from corporate office

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some retail and marketing professionals as consultants to get back on track.

Used to be a phenomenal company, now it's just sad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCustomers who share a passion for the craft and creativity. Get to see newest products first and a discount on them.

ConsCommunication to stores is inconsistent at best. The industry is changing and they can't keep up. Can't continue to discount everything and compete with the big boxes and stay in business.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with employees about what is going on. Don't keep secrets. Trust the people who work for you who want to keep the company afloat.

No career path here

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPart time hours if that's what you are looking for.

ConsFull time hours and benefits only offered to the Store Manager. No benefits. Pay low. Grumpy clientele.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer benefits!

Positive

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsFun work environment. Employees have similar interests, scrapbooking, cardmaking, crafting.

ConsPoor corporate culture and poor compensation. Very poor training and no real career opportunities.

Worked for Archiver's? Contribute to the Community!