Archiver's

Updated July 28, 2014
Updated July 28, 2014
3.2

CEO

Low pay and broken promises highlight working at this retailer

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Archiver's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Product discount is a nice feature of working at Archivers but it's also dangerous because when you bring stock out of the store room to put on the shelves, you see all of the great product first hand and end up buying it!

Cons

When I was hired, I was told I would be an instructor and a hostess for the Scrap Mania events on Friday and Saturday nights. Talk about a broken promise! These plum assignments were given to others and I was stuck constantly working the night shift which meant cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. Their bathrooms are the worst! Archivers should hire a professional cleaning service who are equipped to clean public restrooms. Disgusting!

Don't lie to prospective employees in your interviewing process. And … hire a professional cleaning service to clean those disgusting bathrooms and maintain your floors. Yuck.

In the middle of chapter 11 bankruptcy, but working hard to keep stores open.

I have been working at Archiver's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance, great product and overall concept. Lots of room for creativity and initiative.

Cons

No cohesive vision and company direction. Many stores closing, new announcements each month. No job security. Inconsistent communication and leadership from corporate office

Hire some retail and marketing professionals as consultants to get back on track.

Used to be a phenomenal company, now it's just sad

I worked at Archiver's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Customers who share a passion for the craft and creativity. Get to see newest products first and a discount on them.

Cons

Communication to stores is inconsistent at best. The industry is changing and they can't keep up. Can't continue to discount everything and compete with the big boxes and stay in business.

Be honest with employees about what is going on. Don't keep secrets. Trust the people who work for you who want to keep the company afloat.

No career path here

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Archiver's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Part time hours if that's what you are looking for.

Cons

Full time hours and benefits only offered to the Store Manager. No benefits. Pay low. Grumpy clientele.

Offer benefits!

Great Atmosphere, So-So Management

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Archiver's full-time

Pros

I loved the ability to be around arts and crafts all day, help people design really cool scrapbook pages and cards, and just meet creative, fun customers. I enjoyed helping them find what they were looking for, and seeing that 'aha!' moment when everything came together was simply fantastic.

Cons

Personal growth was limited, and management had some issues. I loved my co-workers, but the management appeared to believe they were above their associates. They were not the easiest to work with as a whole. I feel that if the management was more supportive, and listened their employees a bit more, they may not have had as many company issues as a whole.

Out of Business

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Naperville, IL

I worked at Archiver's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

When the company first started, when I worked there originally, for the first 2 years, it was amazing. Lots of opportunity to make extra money helping to host events or teach classes, great people to work with.

Cons

The last 2 years I spent at my first location and the year at my second were less than amazing. No opportunity to move up, management paranoid that you were out for their jobs just because you're good, taking initiative meant you were stepping on the managements toes.

Positive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Archiver's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun work environment. Employees have similar interests, scrapbooking, cardmaking, crafting.

Cons

Poor corporate culture and poor compensation. Very poor training and no real career opportunities.

Ok for a part time job.

Former Employee - Customer Service in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Westminster, CO

I worked at Archiver's

Pros

I liked the employee discount.

Cons

Reviews weren't very helpful and raises weren't enough.

Value the employee's more.

I spend more than I make :(

Current Employee - Part-Time Customer Service/Instructor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Part-Time Customer Service/Instructor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Archiver's

Pros

Good Employee Discount
    Flexible Scheduling
    Co-workers with similar interest/hobbies

Cons

No Insurance
    Low Pay
    Not enough time/materials/tools for classes
    Discontinued Out of Inventory items are DESTROYED rather than donated to schools or non-profit groups
    No recycling

Make sure your instructors have time and materials to prepare for classes. Allow enough time for classes - does anybody in charge READ the customer evaluations? Provide ongoing training for employees - there are new products coming out all the time - teach us about them so we can sell them for you! And donate the old out of inventory items to a non-profit instead of destroying - so wasteful!

Specialty Retailer in Culture Change

Former Employee - Store Sales Manager in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Sales Manager in Marietta, GA

I worked at Archiver's

Pros

If you really are an avid scrapbooker and enjoy being around people who do, this is kind of a dream job. Archivers is truly a unique specialty retailer with a remarkably untapped and very focused niche.

Cons

Company going through lots of growing pains with the challenging ecomomic environment. Sales and service focused, but fewer sales associates to do the job.

Get more input on what is going on at the store level from your Managers and people on the front line. Listen to them!