Archon Hospitality

CEO

1. Growing Pains

Former Employee - General Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - General Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Archon Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome Area Director, hard working hourly associates

Cons

Senior Leadership was disorganized. They were under intense pressure and it showed.

Advice to Management

Hire the right people, support your teams and engage your hourly associates. Take care of your associates, your associates will take care of your guests and your guests will come back.

2. Keeping the focus on the absolute must do goals.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Archon Hospitality

Pros

Systems are great. High energy. Participative regional management.

Cons

Strategic management is not a strength. Short term direction often distracts from long term significant goals.

Advice to Management

Don't rush into personnel changes that have been necessary for years without a strategy.

3. Long hours

Current Employee - Director of Sales
    Current Employee - Director of Sales

I have been working at Archon Hospitality

Pros

decent pay with bonus opportunities based on the hotel overall performance which was nice to relieve a ton of pressure on myself.

Cons

50 hour weeks required with no overtime pay, it's figured in to your salary.
    Had I know the 50 hours wouldn't be flexible (which I told would be prior to accepting position) i would have negotiated for a much higher salary.

Advice to Management

Drop the 50 hour requirement to 40 hours.

5. High School Mentality

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Archon Hospitality

Pros

As a manager I believed that collectively the department heads and the line level employees work very hard, sometimes with little to no recognition and tools to do their job.

Cons

With my experience and I know others can relate, I found the regional management to be extremely contradicting and very immature, as they play the role of a dictator and anyone who works under them are peasants. They are very immature and constantly talk about people, including regional HR and act as they are a part of an elitist group.

Within hours of my first day returning from Maternity Leave (FMLA), I was essentially demoted and treated with complete disrespect and disregard. Archon should be ashamed of themselves to allow such behavior to occur from the regional managers. Still after months of leaving my employment, I get extremely upset at the way I was treated, it truly has left a on scar me. Additionally, when I spoke to a representative from my hospital discussing my hospital stay, she informed me that the healthcare coverage we had from Archon was the worst she had seen in years. It was so bad, that she went ahead and submitted an application for a grant because of the poor coverage (fyi -the coverage selected during open enrollment was the highest tier offered to employees). However, the senior management at Corporate Headquarters, Dallas, TX receives prime coverage, as well as other benefits that one could only dream of. I am embarrassed to have worked for such a company. Think twice before accepting a job offer…

Advice to Management

Get a clue! You are so disconnected from the reality of what happens in your local properties. Start treating your employees better, I promise when people feel appreciated they work harder. Stop riding in on your “white horse” from Dallas and expect all employees to kiss your feet when you walk into one of your properties, that doesn’t inspire people. Take criticism from employees and use it to make leaders better, putting a warm body in a cold seat is a band-aid and a temporary solution to a permanent problem. Do your due diligence and hire the right General Managers!!!! All management at this company should read Good to Great!