Archway Marketing

Updated November 21, 2014
Updated November 21, 2014
2.3

Doug Mann

Learn a lot, work hard, be tough

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Rogers, MN
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Rogers, MN

I have been working at Archway Marketing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities. Make your mark, lead, build something.

Cons

Private equity ownership provides a very demanding culture of financial results that over rides all other strategy.

Look long term, try to avoid the pressures of an immediate pay back. Put employees back in the forefront, can't succeed without good talent.

Stayed way to Long!!!!!

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Romulus, MI
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Romulus, MI

I worked at Archway Marketing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You never had the same day twice in a row, challenges always arose.

Cons

Upper management change over, lack of focus on the day to day operations, Supervisor's in positions who had no experience or understanding of the business, no chance for promotions if you are not involved in the company politics. Which means no pay increases they find ways to knock down the high performers and accept the non performers.

Do not be afraid of change, promote the high performers or at least compensate them, quit with the BS, get out in front and lead, goals for the year should be rolled out at the beginning of the year not in June, when you finally finalize your yearly plan. It is hard to hold people accountable if you are not accountable yourself

A place to feel at home, at work

I worked at Archway Marketing

Pros

Employee relations were filled with help, encouragement, and support. This internal employee rapport made it a great place to work.

Cons

Training was not thorough. Though they were there for support later, it was difficult to confidently do the work on your own. It felt like you were just getting by with the client. Clients kept accounts because of rapport with certain managers, which is great, but actual achievement of service level agreements was lacking.

Examine your training methods. Is showing the person once or twice really enough though it would be ideal? One might say we need someone who's sharp and easy to train; not necessarily, you need someone who's efficient for the duration of their tenure and training twice, then letting them sink or swim, is wasting everyone's time and money.

Inconsistent

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rogers, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rogers, MN

I worked at Archway Marketing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company has grown rapidly through acquisition and has many top-tier clients. Portfolio is large enough to insulate itself if a few large clients take their business elsewhere. Rogers location is the corporate headquarters, so fulfillment jobs in that location are fairly safe from consolidating to other Archway locations.

Cons

With the many acquisitions, they inherited several systems for running the business which has added many more layers of complexity to running the business.

Continual turnover of the executive management team over the past few years which has had a detrimental effect throughout the organization. Lack of consistency and starting/stopping of various programs and initiatives.

Embarrassing Leadership Since 5th CEO

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Archway Marketing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The good people who do the work. I am speaking specifically of our Norcross location.

Cons

I could and should write a book. Headquarters decided to let everyone go without cause and replace them with their own people from previous places of business). I can speak from personal experience that they lied as to the reasons for my dismissal and unlike them, I can back it up with written records. Ridiculous how they are running the business into the dirt. Good people losing their jobs left right and center with no care for their fantastic service to date. Our location was noted by everyone (including the new blood) as being one of the most profitable. Solution? Fire everyone in a position of prominence and replace them with their own people. Total disrespect. Make no mistake, they are losing Clients as a result.

No advice. They have made clear they do not want it and have dug a ditch for themselves. Such a shame what they have done to so many companies they bought. This story is not unique to my location, as I have spoken to heads from all over the organization with very similar stories. Morale is in the drain.

After downsizing 51 people, living through a union organization and all of the inconsistencies, a difficult company.

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Romulus, MI
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Romulus, MI

I have been working at Archway Marketing as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Many of the employees are wonderful.

Cons

Many employee relations issues, very poor benefit package, inconsistency in treatment, disrespect toward the workforce, upper management has extreme ego issues.

Listen more, give respect to everyone and value what people you have.

people want to work and earn money

Former Employee - Puller/Packer in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Puller/Packer in Norcross, GA

I worked at Archway Marketing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

there are no pros from my point of view

Cons

calling people in to work and then saying oh we are fully staffed but thanks for coming after sitting and waiting for sometimes 2 hours.

Feel like just a number

I have been working at Archway Marketing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I cannot think of many pros

Cons

there is no work life balance

Nepotism Central

Former Employee - Network Systems Engineer in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Network Systems Engineer in South Bend, IN

I worked at Archway Marketing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generally good hard working people at the operations level

Cons

I can't speak to the other Archway locations but the South Bend, IN location is a nightmare. When I was there, everything was running on a shoestring budget and there was no money available to anything unless the mid to upper level managers deemed it necessary. Sadly, this company was built by people with no technology understanding and managed with the mindset of "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" which does not apply in the IT world. No backups, no spares, no redundancy anywhere but yet they were apt to tell any and all potential clients that they have a world class technology infrastructure with every bell and whistle possible.
        The IT operations / engineering at the South Bend facility is the worst of the worst and I've never worked for such incompetence in all my life. The infrastructure at the site is without a doubt the most poorly designed and managed in my 15 years of IT. Systems and components barely functioning and patched together with duct tape; picture carpeted server rooms with water fire suppression and you're just at the tip of the iceberg.
         This company also eats software developers for lunch. It hires new grads out of college for minimum salary and just uses them up until they wise up and leave for another higher paying job with their new experience but never promotes or encourages development.
         The project management department is largely a free for all group of people who just serve as a go between for developers and client managers with nothing ever getting accomplished.
         The poor operations people are without a doubt at the bottom of the food chain; they are hard working but they are treated like dirt or worse and work long hours for pathetic pay. They take orders and fill boxes to be shipped off but at the end of the day management treats them as an entirely disposable workforce.

Look within for and promote talent and foster an environment of excellence and growth for your employees. Remember it's not just about making friends and family rich. Be honest with current and potential clients and open the purse strings for IT once and a while - they aren't trying to buy new toys but rather keep the lifeblood of your infrastructure running.

Archway in South Bend, IN has poor leadership, low pay with no raises, an atmosphere of low moral among employees.

Current Employee - Inventory Control in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Inventory Control in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Archway Marketing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Weekends and holidays off.

Cons

The low pay with no raises, benefits aren't great, stagnant with promotions, poor leadership, no sick days with a strict attendance policy.

be more motivational. Tell us what we are doing right rather then only the wrong. engage with employees rather then sitting in your office all day watching movies on your phone and computer.