Arco AmPm Reviews

Arco AmPm Chairman & President Lamar McKay
Lamar McKay

1. Great place to work

I worked at Arco AmPm

Pros

Allow you to growth vertically and deepen your skills

Cons

Politics and bouracracy may make you tired

2. it was fun fast paced place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Suisun City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Suisun City, CA

I worked at Arco AmPm part-time (less than a year)

Pros

because you learn the basics of running a cash register and you get lots of customer service experience.

Cons

doesnt pay very well and you have to deal with a lot of rude people

you should pay better then minimum wage

3. manager

I have been working at Arco AmPm

Pros

the salary is very competitive vn ahkha ioufr dcn ag ahhc ng ljkjon dhhuhojljk d dkjd o

Cons

s lots of work, jfgf cvc dhdgv ncbc i,jj x .a a a a a a a a a

5. good company to start out at

Current Employee - Cashier in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Arco AmPm part-time (less than a year)

Pros

learned a lot from coworkers

Cons

rude customers, management was not good

have more than one person working, give breaks

6. Great work environment.

Current Employee - Geophysicist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Geophysicist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Arco AmPm full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Gym, on site, one team spirit, flex fridays,

Cons

management does not always listen to its leadership team, this might affect overall performance as a company

Communicate between functions in order to develop one single company

7. Worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Cashier in West Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in West Oakland, CA

I worked at Arco AmPm part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, easy dress code, easy job, cool managers

Cons

Owner illegally deducts $ from his employees paychecks. I filed a complaint with the Labor Board in Oakland, Ca. Within 3 weeks of filing, I received a letter from the Labor Board telling me to go to the office and sign fore a check for all of my deducted pay and payment for every day that passed before I received my final paycheck, which was a week. That was great, but my unemployment information was screwed up. According to EDD, I hadn't worked enough hours to apply for unemployment, which was untrue. AM/PM had simply not reported most of my hours. It also messed up my taxes as a result.

Management should look out for their employees, to the owners though: In Korea where you come from, people might get away with taking advantage and ripping off the very people who are keeping their businesses operating. In America, where I'm from, you get to turn in crooked bullies who steal pay from their employees. Before all of the expense and hard work it takes to open and operate a franchise... or any business for that matter, do your homework. There are laws that protect employees as well as employers.

8. Change in ownership, should have been a 4 star rating

Former Employee - Cashier in Vacaville, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Vacaville, CA

I worked at Arco AmPm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This job was actually pretty good at first. Back then I could imagine staying with the company for 1+ years. My coworkers were all friendly and the manager was the sweetest. When I first started working there, I went to school and they were more than willing to work around my schedule without docking my hours. We got one free snack and fountain drinks were free if you had your own cup (they gave me one for free on my first day). Some customers can be really crabby about policies that employees can't really help (ampm doesn't take credit... things like that), but the regulars were awesome and they really appreciated the work put in. The jobs were pretty easy, mostly cleaning and cashier work. We worked in pairs, so if one person stayed at the register, I could complete 90% of the jobs in 2 hours (the other 10% being cooler work which took me an hour or so to do). If you had any questions, the manager or a more experienced employee could help out.

Cons

We had a change in ownership and things went wrong. He tried having us do things that were against health code violations to save himself some money and the employees not willing to break those violations were penalized. He had us do things like toss out the salad bar once every 2 or 3 days and the bakery stuff cooked friday morning was supposed to stay in there till monday morning. I was considered one of the hardest working employees and I took the time to learn how to fix things, what secret shoppers look for, what the health inspector looked for, I was more than willing to work 16 hour shifts, and I did cleaning jobs no one else did; my hours got cut from 40-60 hours a week to 4 hours a week. He also took away the 1 free meal from us.

The specific AmPm I worked at, the owner clearly doesn't know the difference between an "owner" and a "manager". He fired our manager for his own mistakes and took over her job.

9. You are terrible

I worked at Arco AmPm

Pros

No benefits or good things about this job.

Cons

Owner Was rude, no respect for employees, no benefits, no break, no specified time off and got angry if time was requested off. This gas station should just be shut down. All locations

Find a different place to manage.

10. Meh good starting point

Current Employee - Gas Station Attendant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Gas Station Attendant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Arco AmPm full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- hrs lots of em, area where I work @ west phoenix is desperate for people to work graveyard or swing shift
    - free lunch
    - Its easy

Cons

- Management, there some good ones but the bad ones outnumber them and most of them play favorites

- Give an inch and they take a yard, meaning if you start doing something to help the store more that's outside your responsibilities they start taking it for granted so instead of praising you when you do it they criticize when you don't

- Training, they have no standard training guideline, they'll teach you basics like how to work the basics of registers ie all the money crap but they wont teach stuff like how to save a transaction for later(ie customer forgets wallet in car goes out to get it there's other customers waiting to be served so instead of just clearing everything just save transcation for later so you can bring it up later)

- Equipment to do your job efficiently is either/or old, broken or you don't have it. Example, registers are slow and out of date. Sometimes you don't have proper materials to clean the store ie windex, bleach, pinesol etc. Dust pans or sweeper are broken and taped up same with mop.

- Rude customers, every store is different some have more than the other example 51st and Thomas have some of most rudest ones I've encountered.

- Some shady business practices

- Stop taking advantage of your employees
    - Listen to your employees especially your graveyard workers

11. Keeps you afloat.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Redding, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Redding, CA

I worked at Arco AmPm part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, Lots of hours if you want them, easy enough work for anyone to be quickly trained.

Cons

Management, AmPm are Owner Operated, meaning you may be working for some Jerk who wants to yell, curse, and treat everyone like complete dirt. Also, don't expect an employee discount or benefits of any kind.

Training, Work Ethic, Don't keep the employees who expect to get paid for standing around.

Arco AmPm Photos