Arco AmPm

Lamar McKay

Meh good starting point

Current Employee - Gas Station Attendant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Gas Station Attendant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Arco AmPm full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- hrs lots of em, area where I work @ west phoenix is desperate for people to work graveyard or swing shift
    - free lunch
    - Its easy

Cons

- Management, there some good ones but the bad ones outnumber them and most of them play favorites

- Give an inch and they take a yard, meaning if you start doing something to help the store more that's outside your responsibilities they start taking it for granted so instead of praising you when you do it they criticize when you don't

- Training, they have no standard training guideline, they'll teach you basics like how to work the basics of registers ie all the money crap but they wont teach stuff like how to save a transaction for later(ie customer forgets wallet in car goes out to get it there's other customers waiting to be served so instead of just clearing everything just save transcation for later so you can bring it up later)

- Equipment to do your job efficiently is either/or old, broken or you don't have it. Example, registers are slow and out of date. Sometimes you don't have proper materials to clean the store ie windex, bleach, pinesol etc. Dust pans or sweeper are broken and taped up same with mop.

- Rude customers, every store is different some have more than the other example 51st and Thomas have some of most rudest ones I've encountered.

- Some shady business practices

- Stop taking advantage of your employees
    - Listen to your employees especially your graveyard workers

Worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Cashier in West Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in West Oakland, CA

I worked at Arco AmPm part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, easy dress code, easy job, cool managers

Cons

Owner illegally deducts $ from his employees paychecks. I filed a complaint with the Labor Board in Oakland, Ca. Within 3 weeks of filing, I received a letter from the Labor Board telling me to go to the office and sign fore a check for all of my deducted pay and payment for every day that passed before I received my final paycheck, which was a week. That was great, but my unemployment information was screwed up. According to EDD, I hadn't worked enough hours to apply for unemployment, which was untrue. AM/PM had simply not reported most of my hours. It also messed up my taxes as a result.

Management should look out for their employees, to the owners though: In Korea where you come from, people might get away with taking advantage and ripping off the very people who are keeping their businesses operating. In America, where I'm from, you get to turn in crooked bullies who steal pay from their employees. Before all of the expense and hard work it takes to open and operate a franchise... or any business for that matter, do your homework. There are laws that protect employees as well as employers.

Change in ownership, should have been a 4 star rating

Former Employee - Cashier in Vacaville, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Vacaville, CA

I worked at Arco AmPm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This job was actually pretty good at first. Back then I could imagine staying with the company for 1+ years. My coworkers were all friendly and the manager was the sweetest. When I first started working there, I went to school and they were more than willing to work around my schedule without docking my hours. We got one free snack and fountain drinks were free if you had your own cup (they gave me one for free on my first day). Some customers can be really crabby about policies that employees can't really help (ampm doesn't take credit... things like that), but the regulars were awesome and they really appreciated the work put in. The jobs were pretty easy, mostly cleaning and cashier work. We worked in pairs, so if one person stayed at the register, I could complete 90% of the jobs in 2 hours (the other 10% being cooler work which took me an hour or so to do). If you had any questions, the manager or a more experienced employee could help out.

Cons

We had a change in ownership and things went wrong. He tried having us do things that were against health code violations to save himself some money and the employees not willing to break those violations were penalized. He had us do things like toss out the salad bar once every 2 or 3 days and the bakery stuff cooked friday morning was supposed to stay in there till monday morning. I was considered one of the hardest working employees and I took the time to learn how to fix things, what secret shoppers look for, what the health inspector looked for, I was more than willing to work 16 hour shifts, and I did cleaning jobs no one else did; my hours got cut from 40-60 hours a week to 4 hours a week. He also took away the 1 free meal from us.

The specific AmPm I worked at, the owner clearly doesn't know the difference between an "owner" and a "manager". He fired our manager for his own mistakes and took over her job.

You are terrible

I worked at Arco AmPm

Pros

No benefits or good things about this job.

Cons

Owner Was rude, no respect for employees, no benefits, no break, no specified time off and got angry if time was requested off. This gas station should just be shut down. All locations

Find a different place to manage.

Keeps you afloat.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Redding, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Redding, CA

I worked at Arco AmPm part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, Lots of hours if you want them, easy enough work for anyone to be quickly trained.

Cons

Management, AmPm are Owner Operated, meaning you may be working for some Jerk who wants to yell, curse, and treat everyone like complete dirt. Also, don't expect an employee discount or benefits of any kind.

Training, Work Ethic, Don't keep the employees who expect to get paid for standing around.

Arco AM/PM

I worked at Arco AmPm

Pros

- Friendly management
    - Christmas bonus

Cons

- Not flexible with hours once full time staff
    - Difficult customers at times

cashier/car wash attendant

Current Employee - Cashier Car Was Attandent in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier Car Was Attandent in Concord, CA

I have been working at Arco AmPm part-time (less than a year)

Pros

lots of breaks, free stuff from the mini mart, very flexible hours which is good for a student like me going to school

Cons

treated like crapfrom the Mexican people who worked there, pissed off customers, employs are lazy, management is unprofessional and the work environment is unorganized everyone pons off their work on other people always scared of hold ups

stop turning a blind eye on every problem

working as a cashier and maintenance of store

Current Employee - Broadband Technician I, II, III in West Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Broadband Technician I, II, III in West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Arco AmPm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

because i have a previous work experience in electronics and i enjoy to do work with them and this job has great opportunities for me in next life.

Cons

i can get something new from this job as i got many things from may previous jobs.

I have been working at Arco AmPm

Pros

Easy, work independently, knowing I take well care of the customers, a good place to work but for me to want to stay and make a career out of it things would honestly have to change..

Cons

I don't like how we have to pay our shortages out of our checks. No raises no matter how long you have worked there. me as a employee. I feel as if no one cares about us there at my store. We also have no protection. As in a panic button" in case we get some crazy person on night shift all we have are cameras.. Not to mention we have no way in seeing how much we are short or over at the end of the night.. so who s to say the money that's taken out of our checks is the right amount.

I have been working for arco / ampm for about 5 months now and I don't understand on why we have to pay shortages out of our checks. It gets really busy not to mention we have to switch off and on on the same drawr at times. And another thing is that All my coworkers have been there for many years and not one has gotten a raise they all work for the same pay. Do at 7.90 a hour.. I would love to make a career out of working for ampm but things would have to change a little bit.. its like noone cares about us employees at my work..

I worked part-time at Arco AMPM for 4 years

I worked at Arco AmPm

Pros

Flexible working schedule, good for college student

Cons

micro managing. sometimes working holidays or late at night

Arco AmPm Photos