Ardene Reviews

Updated July 24, 2014

3.4

CEO

Fun and challenging

Current Employee - Third Key Holder and Sales Associate  in  Gatineau, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder and Sales Associate in Gatineau, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Ardene full-time

Pros

*A lot of different stuff to do
    *Always busy never boring
    *Great coworker and atmosphere
    *Good discounts
    *No so servere facing rules

Cons

* Rude customers; I worked in many places and there the people are horribly mean.
    *Cheap and messy customers. We have cheap prices so it attracks welfare and people with no manners that mess up the whole store to finally buy one item
    *Head management is not understanding ( they want you to give great customer service but send you way too much shipment to do so)

Don't be condesceding with your employees and put more people on the floor for shipment day.

Stay away unless you want to be in pain

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Ardene full-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee discount if you can last 3 months.

Cons

To pass the dress code you can only wear trendy flats, and I'm sure we all know how impossible it is to find trendy flats that you can walk around in all day. I'm shocked that this company has been operating for so long and still does not realize or care about the immediate or longterm health of their employees.

Realize that employees are not mannequins, we have a job to do and we can't do it with a smile if are feet are battered and bruised and are knees are aching. Let employees wear tennis shoes, or some other type of shoe that is trendy AND comfortable.

Better than most minimum wage jobs out there...

I have been working at Ardene

Pros

Employee incentive discounts
    Connecting with young vibrant coworkers
    The ability to talk to ur managers about personal issues
    Learning how to professionally dress and act
    Customer service suggestive selling experience (promo matching)
    Lunch breaks. (Comon Not many businesses in certain industries give decent breaks...I worked for a company that only allowed me smoke breaks no lunch for a 8 hr shift).
    Can ask for help if ur stuck or don't understand the merchandising scheme.

Cons

Repetitive merchandising.
    Grouchy customers
    Plus sized ladies asking if u have larger sizes than xl.
    A mistake can mean a write up...even not following dress code.

Ardene holdings incorporated is very secretive about their distribution channels financial statements and the like. Being an employee I would like to know about whom I'm making money for.

Start communicating with the lower end of the employee spectrum. This is place confidence in the employee opportunity chain and growth. It makes u feel more personal with the company. Undercover boss it may be.

Learn how to control ur merchandising. There should be a notification in head offices for each piece of merchandise sold...why not just aquire a list towards what we have sold instead of drop shipping merchandise we may not be able to put on floor.

Like if head offices sent me 15 pairs of purple flats then once the 5th one is sold they should send us a moderate amount to replace the sold merchandise. There will be more control of product and will allow employees to have a bigger eye out for thieves.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good job for young girls

Former Employee - Third Key Holder and Sales Associate  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder and Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Ardene full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Lots of training and learning
    - Fun fashion trends
    - Always something to do
    - Employee contests

Cons

- Poor management in some stores
    - High turnover rate
    - Barely above minimum wage
    - Promises of promotions that aren't followed through with

Do more in depth training with store managers & have regular meetings with managers AND associates to work out any kinks.

I Love Working at Ardene

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Ardene full-time for less than a year

Pros

A job at Ardene consists of an awesome team to work with, a great opportunity to learn and advance in the world of retail, and you never don't have anything to do. Additionally, there's a great discount, a generous wage, a pretty easy dress code, and products, that though might be on the cheaper side, are something I am proud to stand behind. It really was my saving grace after I dropped out of school, and I know that I'm not wasting a minute of my life by working here.

Cons

The expectations of corporate does not reflect the reality of the situation. To add two more boxes of headbands to the display (which means moving literally everything from one hook to another several times) can take several hours due to having to reorganize things and assist customers. Additionally, they send us too much stock, and we're supposed to put it all instantly onto the floor. Finally, corporate's ideas of how mannequins should look, and what's "trendy" always looks terrible and doesn't reflect the customers who shop there. There were also some problems at my store in which our manager left, and several months later, no one is officially our new manager because the DM won't relinquish control, which adds more stress on us, because it's always horrible when she visits. Also, my acting manager doesn't like me and plays favorites, but will never say to your face anything, but that's just the one person, and our DM was not pleased to hear about her conduct.

Try to take a step back and think about the employees and what they are going to be able to accomplish. If you want us to scrub the store from floor to ceiling on Sunday, that's fine, just don't expect our sales to be great because we're too busy to help customers. And stop sending such large shipments!

DIsappointing

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ardene part-time for less than a year

Pros

I learned a lot while working at Ardene. For my first retail job, I gained a lot of knowledge about cashier roles, sales techniques, stock and communication. I also developed good relations with many of my co-workers.

Cons

- Schedule is irregular and completely random. I never knew what days of the week I would be working, making it very difficult to have a life outside of work or plan to do anything. Just when I thought I worked every Monday, the schedule would change on me again.
    - Paper schedules were extremely annoying. My manager would create the schedule on Sundays, extremely last minute. This again made it so that you never knew when you were working. God forbid if your shifts conflicted with something important in your life that you needed to attend. My manager would give me such a hard time about getting days off. Then if someone was sick or last-minute could not show up for their shift, she would call me an hour beforehand and ask me to come in to work and if I couldn't because I had plans, she would get mad at me or guilt me into going in anyways. In addition to the downside of paper schedules, my manager would change the start times of my shifts randomly on days that I had off and then wouldn't tell me. They would then call me on a day when I had work and would ask why I hadn't come in for my shift yet but the thing was that no one told me that I was suddenly starting early.
    - The winter time was horrible. They expected the store to be spotless every single day. We had a huge clearance store and we had to manually mop the floors every night. After an exhausting shift, the last thing you want to do is manually mop all the floors of a huge store.
    - Management would threaten infractions for everything. You could stay an extra hour after closing time, cleaning everything in sight and if they found one shirt that was not folded properly on a bottom shelf, they would say how they should give us infractions and how if it ever happened again, they would.
    - The merchandise is awful quality. It was very hard trying to recommend products to customers because I knew that everything was poor quality, tacky and would not last.
    - A girl was fired at my store with the reason "things simply are not working out". That's even what it says on the termination form and in her file. How can you just say "things are not working out"? What kind of reason is that?
    - The store I worked at never made sales. A good day in terms of sales was $1000. The most we ever made in a day was something like $1800. After months of this, management cut hours to 90 hours a week. There are three full-timers and they should all be getting 30-40 hours a week. My manager would give herself 40, the assistant manager about 25 and then the third key would get around 12. It was awful, we went through multiple different third keys because they simply could not even afford to pay the rent.
    - There was also a time when we had more hours than employees to work those hours. I was part-time and I was working 25-30 hours a week, in addition to going to school. There were multiple occasions where I was left to close the store with one other part-timer with far less experience than me, forcing me to take a leadership role. The problem with that was that if anything went wrong or we needed a supervisor, I was the go-to person. It is completely unreasonable and unprofessional to leave a 17 year old in charge of a whole store and with dealing with customer complaints, system errors, last-minute price changes, etc. There was one time when I had to close with two people who were just hired, meaning it was their first shifts ever. I had to train them as well as deal with a thousand and one problems going on in the store. It was far too much for me and it left me exhausted. Then what would I have to do? Get home by 10pm, go to bed, go to school the next day from 9am-4pm, then come in for my shift at 5pm and do it all over again. I dreaded going to work. I was exhausted. My manager was not understanding in the slightest when it came to this, as I was begging for less hours so that I could study and focus on my school work. She would say that either I take the hours or she would find someone to replace me.
    - My manager was completely unapproachable and I did anything to avoid speaking to her.
    - When I first started out, they didn't teach me how to do cash for more than two weeks, making my shifts extremely boring. I had to try to sell products to customers but I barely understood the promotions and I was not familiar with the products that we were selling. I constantly felt overwhelmed and lacking knowledge when I first started out.
    - Training is not thorough whatsoever. I found out 6 months into working there that apparently you're supposed to watch training videos and do a questionnaire after but no one ever had me do that when I was starting out. I never watched the training videos.
    - I found that management was very willing to off the cuff just fire someone unexpectedly with no real reason, making it so that everyone was always in fear of making a mistake. Then they would keep the most useless people around. We once had a new assistant manager transferred to our store and she only lasted 3 days because she was ridiculous. She didn't fold things properly, she ignored customers, she dragged all tasks out to last way longer than they should, she could not cooperate with others, and she would start doing stock and merchandising at 9pm when the store was closing. They transferred her back to her old store and didn't fire her. Why? Because she had been working there for 5 years. The company's outlook on loyalty and personnel relations is illogical and makes no sense.

Main warnings:
    1. This may work as a summer job, but do not expect a job at Ardene to be flexible around your school schedule
    2. Your work schedule will never be consistent. A rotating, regular schedule is not going to happen.
    3. Management tends to be very unreasonable.
    4. Expectations are completely unreasonable and very high for those in entry-level part-time positions.
    5. Pay raises and evaluations do not happen.
    6. Very high employee turnover.

Consider allowing employees time off
    Create an electronic system for the schedules
    Make sure that training is thorough
    Reconsider hiring/firing and infraction system
    Promotions are hard to explain to customers and last-minute price changes are a pain
    Consider having a cleaning company to clean up the stores, at least in the winter time
    Actually give employees evaluations, pay increases, promotions, etc. as incentive.

Good experience

Current Employee - Third-Key Holder and Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Third-Key Holder and Sales Associate

I have been working at Ardene part-time for more than a year

Pros

The work environment started out good and I gained close relationships with some of the people that worked there. You learned a lot about retail and how to merchandise things properly.

Cons

The store was very small and it was frustrating trying to jam all of the merchandise they kept sending us onto the floor. Customers are sometimes very rude, especially when you try to explain the "final sale" policy. Most clothing is displayed on tables so when it is busy, it's very hard to keep the store tidy. New scheduling system is not very great, and there aren't many hours available. Pay is minimum wage, but that is the norm for retail stores.

Allow your store managers more flexibility and freedom. They know what their own customers want because they are on the front line everyday.

Sales Associate

I worked at Ardene part-time

Pros

discounts, clothes, work environment, fun

Cons

hours were bad, updating stock

A great place to work

I have been working at Ardene

Pros

Job is very straight forward and not exactly rocket science. Schedules are fair, scheduling system is easy to use and very clear. Upper management is approachable, fair and understanding. I feel like I am a valued team member not an employee number. Fast paced days, fun customer base, great people to work with. Management employees make good wages and incentives. If you like to be paid to stand around doing nothing or fold clothing like a turtle go work for someone else... This won't be for you. It's a great job for those starting in retail because the training is very thorough and designed to work for you if you have little to no experience. It's great for those looking to move up and gain further experience as there are lots of opportunities to grow within the company.

Cons

It can be very challenging juggling the weekly stock that must go out, the customers who need help or they will make a huge mess and trying to prevent loss (theft via shoplifting)
    Have to work weekends (true for any job in retail)

Keep it up. Just keeping the lines of communication open, keep up the visits to the stores. It means so much to us to have those in person visits and to know you're interested in what we do on the ground and how we do it. There have been many improvements in my close to 5 years I'm sure we'll see many more.
    I think we could be doing more in terms of employee recognition, not necessarily in terms of monetary rewards for sales goals met but some type of reward for excellence in customer service, for girls that go above and beyond the usual tasks.

a pretty fun and easy job

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Ardene full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great employee discount. It's a pretty fun job and it changes everyday. If you can't adapt to change then this is not a job for you. Expect to pack up and move boxes almost daily. most customers are awesome and it helps that I really like my District Supervisor.

Cons

too mauch estrogen = drama. Leave the petty drama at home. Some ppl need to communicate. Expectations to have a clear backroom is rediculous. Send everything together for window/display merch, not half and then the other half a week later.

When a store has a small amount of hours to work with don't expect the pace to put out merch to be the same as other stores.

Worked for Ardene? Contribute to the Community!