Ardene Reviews

Good experience

Current Employee - Third-Key Holder and Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Third-Key Holder and Sales Associate

I have been working at Ardene part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work environment started out good and I gained close relationships with some of the people that worked there. You learned a lot about retail and how to merchandise things properly.

Cons

The store was very small and it was frustrating trying to jam all of the merchandise they kept sending us onto the floor. Customers are sometimes very rude, especially when you try to explain the "final sale" policy. Most clothing is displayed on tables so when it is busy, it's very hard to keep the store tidy. New scheduling system is not very great, and there aren't many hours available. Pay is minimum wage, but that is the norm for retail stores.

Allow your store managers more flexibility and freedom. They know what their own customers want because they are on the front line everyday.

Horrible

I worked at Ardene

Pros

In terms of retail, there is a lot to learn. From merchandising, changing mannequins, handling cash, change rooms, you definitely learn a lot. Incentives are great in terms of commission and beating targets, implementing these monetary rewards allows management to TRY to beat budgets. The supervisor I particularly worked for was AMAZING, and so understanding. The managers are great, I was lucky to work with some amazing people who have taught me life long skills.

Cons

Pretty much a lot of inconsistent unpredictable amount of stock will come to our store every day. Literally. It was so inconsistent, on Monday we would receive SO much stock, then we'd have to put it ALL out, by the time we finish a whole bunch would come within 2 days, and we'd have to move everything over all over again. This is frustrating. This is why theft occurs, this HIGH volume store will forever have the image of being the "cheap accessories store with cheap clothing and cheap flats that break within a week." The marketing strategy and point of sale is RIDICULOUS. They need to reevaluate the price point changes to make it more easier for customers to UNDERSTAND. You can't simply put "3/10 or one is regular price" Do you have any idea how STUPID employees sound explaining this to customers? "Oh one is 14.50, but its 3/10" Yeah, this price point ordeal will never generate you profit when you have outlet stores, and normal stores. It's clear that Ardene's motive is to have HIGH volume stores, but it will NEVER work. You can have 400 + retail stores, some cat. 3 & 4 , and others normal stores, outlets and whatever, but its stupid because you lose half the customers knowing they have prior knowledge that there are OUTLETS. You should keep it consistent, have FEWER stores, raise the price a little more compared to having a store in each intersection. It's stupid and quite frankly I dont know how this company is surviving. The products break within 2 wears, and we constantly have people exchanging damaged items. IT IS SO ANNOYING having to explain the return policy "final sale, no refunds or exchanges," but then having to grant every customer who causes a fit with you their exchange. ITS ANNOYING. It's a waste of time! If items are 1.00 - 3.33 you SHOULD indeed make it final sale. Ardene is pretty much a dollar store and they dont even do any exchanges or returns! Though this place has taught me that you have to work HARD, there is NO REST, you will constantly be on the move, from the ghetto people who steal constantly. This place has poor loss prevention. How can you possibly have 8 employees in a HUGE store, while giving such a small amount of hours, and expect us to provide good customer service and prevent theft? YOU LEAVE US WITH 3 PEOPLE TO CLOSE!!! IT'S NOT POSSIBLE. My girls end up EXHAUSTED and stressed! You need to invest money in your employees. THEY are the face of your company. You treat them horrible, they will treat the image of your company the same way. ALL the girls in my store were MISERABLE and needed a way out! You need to provide the store with more hours, and RESPECT. It's disrespectful to ship around 90 boxes, for only 4 people to work on and expect it all to be on the floor within a week. The store looks MESSY and packed. NO BODY wants to shop at a packed place, where they can't find anything and have employees give them attitude because they are MISERABLE! Fix your company, or else you'll just have customers constantly stealing from you, poor customer service and eventually no one will want to associate themselves with Ardene!

Senior Management need to show people RESPECT! If you see a girl holding a box, and drops it right in front of you, KINDLY offer to help or show that acknowledge they are struggling. Don't just walk on by because the BIG boss is there. How disrespectful are you? They expect the store to be perfect but they don't know how HARD it is to do so. If you constantly think FULL walls will generate profit you are WRONG. If you show respect to your employees, they will put forth effort in providing customer service in turn generating large volume sales. You need to understand we are people, you may be HIGH up in the management pyramid, but WE are the ones who pay YOUR paycheque, we make the sales HAPPEN and from what I've encountered , if you throw it down our throat that we have to clean faster, put out stock faster, we will only focus on that. Your angry demeanor will only bring a negative perception about you. It's FRUSTRATING knowing that intimidating bullies are coming to visit the store randomly. Wouldn't you want to warn the store that you're coming? So they can prepare and make sure things are running smoothly? Coming to the store with surprise visits are stupid, it only gives you an excuse to point out the negatives. My suggestion to you is to REFOCUS your strategy, grow up and show some RESPECT to your employees, and in turn you will see BETTER results in terms of sales, retention, turn over etc.

Sales Associate

I worked at Ardene part-time

Pros

discounts, clothes, work environment, fun

Cons

hours were bad, updating stock

A great place to work

I have been working at Ardene

Pros

Job is very straight forward and not exactly rocket science. Schedules are fair, scheduling system is easy to use and very clear. Upper management is approachable, fair and understanding. I feel like I am a valued team member not an employee number. Fast paced days, fun customer base, great people to work with. Management employees make good wages and incentives. If you like to be paid to stand around doing nothing or fold clothing like a turtle go work for someone else... This won't be for you. It's a great job for those starting in retail because the training is very thorough and designed to work for you if you have little to no experience. It's great for those looking to move up and gain further experience as there are lots of opportunities to grow within the company.

Cons

It can be very challenging juggling the weekly stock that must go out, the customers who need help or they will make a huge mess and trying to prevent loss (theft via shoplifting)
    Have to work weekends (true for any job in retail)

Keep it up. Just keeping the lines of communication open, keep up the visits to the stores. It means so much to us to have those in person visits and to know you're interested in what we do on the ground and how we do it. There have been many improvements in my close to 5 years I'm sure we'll see many more.
    I think we could be doing more in terms of employee recognition, not necessarily in terms of monetary rewards for sales goals met but some type of reward for excellence in customer service, for girls that go above and beyond the usual tasks.

a pretty fun and easy job

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Ardene full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great employee discount. It's a pretty fun job and it changes everyday. If you can't adapt to change then this is not a job for you. Expect to pack up and move boxes almost daily. most customers are awesome and it helps that I really like my District Supervisor.

Cons

too mauch estrogen = drama. Leave the petty drama at home. Some ppl need to communicate. Expectations to have a clear backroom is rediculous. Send everything together for window/display merch, not half and then the other half a week later.

When a store has a small amount of hours to work with don't expect the pace to put out merch to be the same as other stores.

Frustrating

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Ardene part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount was nice, some good people and there are lots of interesting customers to meet.

Cons

Management was insane, went through two managers in a couple of months. Store completely changed policy between the managers. It became a mess, hours were cut to the point where the only hours I could get were on the weekend. Store had a skeleton staff crew and when one was sick no one was there to cover. Plus Ardene switched to an online scheduling company which sucks. Can't switch shifts even if people are willing its so stupid.

Ensure store standards are carried out in every store, even the outlets. And stay off the Internet for scheduling and payroll, two different systems complicate things unnecessarily.

Have to be able to roll with the punches

I have been working at Ardene full-time

Pros

Plenty of room to grow.
    A lot of opportunities and lessons to learn.
    Great discounts.

Cons

Communication is something to work on.

Find an easier way for price changes that eliminates an error for mistakes.

Very fun work environment

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ardene part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of laughs and employee discounts are great

Cons

Constant price-point changes
    Unexpected store category changes
    Poor product quality

Ardene Isn't so bad..

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at Ardene part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depending on the store you work in, staff can be awesome

Cons

District manager was awful, she wanted there to be no stock in the back room and everything to be on the floor.
    Ardene gets so much product that when we were forced to have it on the floor, you couldn't even shop in it, customers said it looked awful, which it did. Stands would fall on customers, and folding clothes would be a joke, the piles would have to be so high they would flop over

Less is more

enjoyable experience, sometimes poor management

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ardene part-time (more than an year)

Pros

good people, healthy, happy environment

Cons

sometimes the company hires really shitty people

you guys should rehire! i regret leaving