Arecont Vision Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Michael Kaplinsky

fast paced challenging manufacturing/technology company

Current Employee - Product Development
    Current Employee - Product Development

I have been working at Arecont Vision full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

cutting edge technology, strong management team, great industry, many PhD's on staff

Cons

Glendale, industry is becoming more competitive with low cost solutions

Advice to Management

invest more in company

It feels like a change is in the air

I have been working at Arecont Vision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, OK benefits, interesting technology, sometimes very satisfying. Things have changed a lot over the past 6 months in my department. Everyone seems to be working hard, but reasonable hours. Team members are encouraged, given time to educate themselves, and actually given constructive feedback. Also, a big change from before: some of the managers and even execs are in their offices deep into the night, and it seems like some of them are trying to actually create a work-life balance for all levels of employees. Key word: Trying. I'm not going to lie and say it's perfect, but it's tons better than a few months ago... Honestly, I'm not sure I would have recommended this company earlier in the year, but I feel like that's changed. Somehow, I've come to realize that I'm actually happy in my position. I'm given great work, I have the opportunity to create a path up towards management, and although I work very hard, I feel pretty satisfied with my work performance. My boss encourages teamwork and OJT, and I feel like I've actually benefitted from it, bonded with my co-workers (and some of the other departments) and have a greater chance at more fulfilling career in the company.

Cons

It's a fast paced environment that's not made for everyone. I consider myself pretty "with it". I'm quick, and am proud of it. So, when I start falling behind on work, I know it's because too much is happening. That being said, it's the nature of manufacturing - new products come out, new sales tactics happen, everything is constantly changing. I eventually catch up, and my managers are very understand when I explain my workload vs. the number of hours in the day. AV considers themselves a "lean" company, which is short for, you're going to do a lot of work. It's a place where high achievers flourish, but if you're looking for a place to coast... This isn't it. Then, sometimes it is hard to communicate with some certain people in other departments. Sometimes it's a cultural difference, sometimes someone is just plain unhelpful. Like I said above, a lot of this has really died down in the past 6ish months. BUT there are still a few difficult people who seem to try hard to make the day a little less bright. There are people to balance this out, but sheesh, it's still annoying sometimes. Finally, the optional 401K matching and Profit Sharing was eliminated and replaced by an incremental raise. I'm still not sure how i feel about it.

Advice to Management

Allow a little more room for creativity and fun. Your team is a reflection of your leadership. Many bad eggs could mean that one should look internally for positive changes in team dynamics. Creating an atmosphere where people WANT to stay is much more effective than creating an environment where people HAVE to stay (whether they want to or not). When a person feels like the company supports them, they are much more willing to work hard. If you can get your employees to feel this way - actually feel this way - then you are on the path to success.

Hostile work environment from the top down

I worked at Arecont Vision full-time

Pros

Supportive teammates at the lower level because EVERYONE is treated poorly by upper management. After you've been worked to the bone in extremely long hours, there are perks and awards given for reaching (or almost reaching) the almost unattainable goals set.

Cons

When I say hostile work environment, I mean it. Bring your earplugs, headphones, whatever you can. The screaming matches between team members, management, upper management, the owners, and whoever has the vocal capacity to violently share their anger can get out of control. Don't come here unless you're happy in the same position for 5, 10, 20 years. Upward mobility in the company is almost non-existent and hard work is completely unappreciated.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and they will respect you - and work harder with more passion.

Start up grows into a company

Current Employee - IT Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Arecont Vision full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having worked with Arecont over the last few years, I have been able to see it grow and transition. It is a very fast pace environment with new products and technology. I have been able to grow my position into a management position but it took a few years.

Cons

The company was a startup and sometimes acts like one still. Sometimes it takes multiple visits and recommendations before action is taken on new ideas and innovations.

Advice to Management

Learn from your employees and past history.

Good company

Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Arecont Vision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary with profit sharing. Great benefit package and PTO.

Cons

great presure on meeting sale target.

Negative Environment

I worked at Arecont Vision

Pros

The company is profitable

Cons

This company holds a very negative environment. Its starts at the top with the executives and trickles down through management and continues until everyone is unhappy. Employees are unwilling to help each other. Many departments are unwilling to take their share in the work, causing other departments to have to step up to get the job done. It is common to hear executives/managers/supervisors yell at employees.

Advice to Management

Keep it professional. Yelling and harassing employees is not going to get you anything but a high turnover rate. Encourage your employees to grow both personally and professionally by providing them the tools they need to succeed. Promote your employees to new positions and opportunities within the company.

Limited Career Options

I worked at Arecont Vision full-time

Pros

Lots of nice, friendly people working in the office. Interesting technology.

Cons

Negative work environment, lots of longer term employees seem bitter and unhappy. Overtime and extra unpaid work is to be expected if you are salaried with career options and growth being limited. Working long hours does not equal career growth. Upper management would prefer to hire from outside rather than promoting and growing talent from within. Why fix something that isn't broken seems to be the thought process. An underlying problem is the company's quick growth without proper structure in place to support the growth. Basic things like reviews, compensation evaluation, goals and career growth are non-existent. Overall, not bad if you need a paycheck but not a place to grow your career.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and value their contributions, provide more opportunities for career growth. Give employees a reason to care and be loyal aside from a paycheck.

annonymous

I worked at Arecont Vision full-time

Pros

Seems to promote good culture with fair benefits...great christmas party etc.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid and very much run by overzealous individuals that have little respect for employees and their families ties....hold back on raises and often excuses not to give them....upper management...vp plus level ruthless and only concerned about meeting their numbers even if it means killing families...little family values!!!

Advice to Management

Respect employees have families and if you don't reward their hard work...then you are holding them out as your pawns to make the top happy and get your bonus while killing families and taking away from morales!!! Middle management working so hard without recognition and it is obvious because of the pressures you pass down to reward yourself and not the true money makers....take one leg away and you only have 3 if you are a dog as they treat you...get off your mighty horse and understand each job description...too many switch a roos in management and they have no idea what you really are supposed to do!!!

No room for growth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I worked at Arecont Vision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has leading technology in the market

Cons

Negative work culture, negative work environment, management if VERY negative. Employees are expected to work over time without compensation. Employees are seen as "not having enough work" if they leave within 8 hours.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage employees. Remember, people quit their boss not their jobs.

Great for a job, but not for a career

I worked at Arecont Vision full-time

Pros

If you work hard and are on the exec's good side, you will be awarded with additional compensation, be recognized and have the opportunity to advance to some extent. Lots of exposure, lots of experience if you push.

Cons

Upper management and executives don't seem to appreciate entry and mid-level employees. You are expected to work VERY hard, and despite that, still will likely be underpaid. It can be an abrasive, uncomfortable environment at times - small company that grew fast without proper structure.

Advice to Management

Appreciate all your employees, even the entry or mid-level folks. Employees will be more loyal if you are loyal to them - compensate and praise appropriately.

RSS Feed </> Embed