Argent Software Reviews

Updated March 6, 2015
60 reviews filtered by
3.5
Andrew Blencowe

Pros
  • Decent pay and ability to work from home (in 5 reviews)

• Great pay compared to other jobs in the same field (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • have to meet lots of customers and prospects -- lots of travel (in 4 reviews)

• Lots to learn unless you've sold Management Software previously (in 3 reviews)

1. It's not ALL sunshine and lollipops!!

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Argent Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great money once you have settled and built a pipeline. New candidates showing promise are usually given some good leads and existing accounts to help continue the momentum.

Opportunity to work with and travel to companies of all industries and sizes around the world.

Financial rewards are great for those willing to commit.

No weekend or extensive after hours work required beyond the regular 8 - 5. Of course all the star performers made effort to get ahead and so did the extra training to get that bit further, faster.

Did I mention great benefits, I have had suits purchased for me, all travel expenses paid (sometimes even my family).

Opportunities to participate in trade events, such as Microsoft or VMware Conferences.

I cant emphasize enough the opportunity to earn good money.

Cons

I have to actually WORK and proactively PUSH MYSELF to find sales, unfortunately they don't just come to me.

I have to make an effort to TRAVEL REGULARLY, sometimes to new cities, sometimes to Fortune 500's. I guess its lucky that Argent pays for all this and sometimes even pays for my family as bonus for exemplary work and commitment.

Must continually be researching and STUDYING products and marketplace. Who likes to read boring stuff? Perhaps the same people who want to sell more and make more money.

CEO speaks very frankly so not suitable for people with thin skin but is fine for those who appreciate the need to just GET THE JOB DONE.

Until you can build a successful global software company, surviving over 25 years when many about you have fallen, you are not positioned to question why and must simply do and die. But with Argent you can do and die in STYLE.

Continue expanding into new regions

2. Stay away from the psycho CEO if you want to stay happy in your life

Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Argent Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employment for many is a "home-based virtual job", I'm an office

Cons

The CEO's notorious "Daily INSANE sessions of Yelling, Screaming & Berating his employees" is that he believes that is the only way he can control over his employees.

The CEO criticize the employees for anything - until he makes sure that he destroys the employees confidence and become tamable. He harasses the employees too much.

The CEO dropped out and has no college degree, so attacks if you are knowledgeable and try to advise him.

Argent HQ is actually a very small one room service apartment in Tokyo where he is staying.

Engineers & salespeople operate in an unpredictable, fear driven environment
    Unreliable staff - because CEO hires & fires employees every 6 months - massive turnover of employees

Argent is really a dungeon - if you want unstable, unhealthy working environment career with NO development, this is the place

Stop harassing your employees. Get some help and try to be more balanced and happier

CEO is a verbally abusive alcoholic who likes to berate employees for no reaosn

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Argent Software full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Argent pays well and the other employees that I worked with were great people. I was able to learn a lot in a very short amount of time working for Argent due to the high quality of the people that they hire.

Cons

The President and CEO, Andrew Blencowe, is the worst person that I have ever worked for. While on the phone with me, he cussed me out as he topped off his glass and slurred into the phone obscenities that would impress a sailor. The products at Argent are based mainly on the brainchild of Andrew Blencowe's cocaine and alcohol fueled programming sessions and lack true refinement. If anyone tries to offer their constructive criticism of his coding/programming, Blencowe shows them the door; so everyone says "Man, that is awesome!!!" even if it is turd wearing some gold glitter.
    My entire office got calls on their cell phones at 3:30am instructing us to bring our laptops into the office immediately because they were shutting down our office that day and moving it to the Philippines.

Get Andrew Blencowe some professional help, I actually spoke to him during one of his sober moments and he was pleasant to speak with.

5. Great place to work, I make lots of money

I have been working at Argent Software

Pros

Tons of freedom

Great compensation

Very nice people who help each other succeed

Fortune 500 customers

Cons

All the negative reviews are clearly written by people that are either very lazy or very stupid

I do very well by simply following the system

6. Demanding But Rewarding

I have been working at Argent Software full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is a great position for sales engineers who like working from home with some travel. Fantastic opportunity for hands-on learning and observation of customer's data centers of various sizes and architectures. I have made tremendous friendships with past and current employees as well as with customers. Loyal, trustworthy employees are given a competitive base salary plus commissions. I have worked at Argent for the better part of a decade and during that time the CEO has provided all-expense paid trips for my family on several occasions and has even given me unexpected bonuses and other benefits like a business suit allowance. That fact alone makes it difficult to not have a high regard for Argent's CEO. Some of the negative, whiny comments posted here make no sense and do not apply to Argent Software or its management. Are they even referring to the same company? In short, uncontentious, hard-workers will find this job to be quite rewarding.

Cons

During the busy season, travel can get a little heavy sometimes, but this is not typical and management takes notice of those with families and tries to protect them from frivolous trips. Lazy and thin-skinned people will not last long, but those who understand business and have a passion for sales will thrive.

Continue to trust and honor faithful, long-time, hard-working employees.

BREATHTAKING OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN how NOT to run a business

Former Contractor - VICTIM in Earth, TX
    Former Contractor - VICTIM in Earth, TX

I worked at Argent Software as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

If you have lower confidence, join Argent. You will straight away realize some people are just more hopeless than you ever will be

Cons

Just read all these reviews. and multiply that by 500. Then you will realize you still can't see the bottom of this company.

I was even reluctant to choose 1 star but it doesnt allow me to put no star.... so sad...

No advice needed. As there is no "Management" in this company.

Like a cockroach, it keeps crawling along.

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Argent Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work from home.
    Field engineers can negotiate a good salary if they are confident.
    Commission and bonuses are *theoretically* lucrative. (you will never close a large enough deal for this to matter)

Cons

Where to begin?

If sh!t flows downhill, it indeed starts at the top. Development is driven by the owner of the company. His concepts of information technology are driven by what his left and right hands tell him, and whichever buzzwords catch his fancy. The software's foundation is based on principles from more than 10 years ago.

There are some misleading comments here about Argent's allegedly great software. It seems these commenters were indeed brainwashed by the owner. Argent's software was good, but that was more than 10 years ago. The current solution doesn't scale very well.

The idiosyncrasies of this company have been covered before, but are repeated here: an internal messenger application, which is the owner's way of communicating with you 24 hours a day. Summons will be issued at random times, 4 in them AM, 10 in the PM, regardless of time zone. You will receive a cordial email with the message "ARNI, NOW".

There is the native CRM developed by the same people who brought you ARNI. Both products look and work like they were written in 1995. This primitive feel for the business software extends to the monitoring products as well, check the screenshots.

If you are especially lucky, you will receive a drunken call directly from the owner, late at night. He will then proceed to rant about something someone else did. The conversation will end when you make it clear you are not the person he is ranting about.

The company, while technically run by the owner, is really operated by his left and right hands: the stooges in Hong Kong. The stooges operate more like a high school sorority than professional management, gossiping about who did what, and who to hurt this week. The sisters literally spend their days plotting who to ruin in their own company. If these stories sound too crazy to be true, rest assured they are so crazy they have to be true. Argent will promote itself as a company "free of corporate culture". Just more of Argent's horsesh!t. The company is small, shifting between 30 and 60 employees, of which 3/4 are employed in Hong Kong as cheap administrative labor. Yet this tiny company has corporate backstabbing to rival the greats. All bad things flow from Hong Kong in Argent's case.

The company's lawyer: yes, this tiny company needs its own dedicated lawyer to stall lawsuits and enable the next iteration of the company. No one iterates like Argent! Whether it is a shield from constant litigation or yet another tax dodge, as an employee of Argent be prepared to sign a new employee document once a year. To make it clear, you still work for Argent, just another incarnation. If the sisters in Hong Kong sounded like pleasant people, they are saints compared to the lawyer, once described as "the most despicable person I have ever met". Bold words considering the source of the quote had already met Argent's owner, and the sisters.

Argent truly believes in second chances. I've never seen a company fire so many people, and rehire the same people less than a year later. Whether its to meet the bottom line in a given month, and then having to meet a need later, the door at Argent is revolving. But if you were fired, and rehired, rest assured at some time of the owner or sister's choosing, you will be fired again.

Support is handled by the same engineers who handle sales support. So if you are a customer, and you call in for support, and its obvious the support engineer is a salesperson, you know why. All the engineers, yes all 5 of them, are doing demos. Or health checks. Or are onsite, or maybe 1 of them was just fired. You'll get support when they get back to their home offices.

At Argent, you will be forever reminded you are in instantly replaceable piece. If the owner had it his way, all of his account managers and field engineers would be recent college graduates making minimum wage on a contract. The only reason it hasn't happened is it would make Argent an even bigger joke than it already is. If you somehow stick, realize there is no room for advancement. More accurately, everyone at Argent is a VP, but only the CEO, CTO, CFO and lawyer matter.

This has gone on long enough, you need to make your own decisions. A friendly hint: the owner of the company forces his employees to write favorable reviews of the company on this site, and other job review sites. It isn't hard to see which reviews were forced and which reviews were written by the owner himself. The review from people who have left the company are unanimous in their disdain for the company, which is a warning in itself.

Keep doing what you are doing. You are the only ones benefiting from this arrangement.

Argent - a business contradiction

I worked at Argent Software full-time

Pros

- No matter what seems to happen, no matter how crazy things are managed, no matter how many mistakes are made, this company keeps on chugging along. I seriously cannot believe they are still around.

Cons

- The reason the company can stay around is because the CEO will fire people at a whim if they have a bad month. "Bad month" means there isn't enough money to support his lifestyle, so you get thrown out in the street.

Stop making people post fake positive reviews here and do things to improve peoples view of the company.

A confrontational and volital atmosphere where sales professionals are completely micromanaged.

I worked at Argent Software

Pros

You know what to expect, they are consistent in their expectations, and they will give sales professionals an opportunity even if they have no prior experience in software sales.

Cons

No opportunity to learn and get better. No autonomy or freedom to be a resourcefull or creative hunter. Micromanagement to the extent of emails being reviewed for grammer and strict standards about using bold print, quotations, and even font size. Atmosphere of confrontation, yelling, and constant threats by management about being fired. Extremely high turnover.

Change the sink or swim mentality and invest in a sales manager that has real management experience rather than a successful sales person from another location with no management experience.

You cannot possibly want to work at this place.

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Argent Software

Pros

The pay is good which is why I jumped at the job. Offer above market salary.

Cons

Yikes, where to begin...On my first day, I showed up and no one wanted to even say hello. Figured everyone is just being mean to the new guy. However, I quickly learned that this is an environment where it is every man for himself. (I'd say women but the CEO made it abundantly clear he wants young guys who he can beat the snot out of. Says women cannot put up with his management style.) Anyway, CEO calls FROM SOUTH KOREA WHERE HE LIVES and starts "training" me. Gives me a bunch of documents/scripts and says "this is how we do it." My second day, I stumble when the CEO asks me a question and he blurts out "this job may not be for you." On my second day???? Anyway, within a week, I realized that the CEOs brutal management style was not for me and I bailed out within 3 weeks when I nailed down another job. Once I spoke with some of the guys in the office, I was told that a long term employee at Argent meant that you lasted at least one year.

I really don't have any advice since it would fall on deaf ears. The CEO lives in South Korea and he and his stooges in Hong Kong run the US sales where there are only 4 salespeople left. This company's best days are behind it.