Argo Data

www.argodata.com

Argo Data Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Max Martin

Pros
  • High turnover creates a lot of opportunity(in 3 reviews)

• There are some good people who work here(though most have left)(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Fear that concerns will not be heard by upper management(in 7 reviews)

• gt; They use a programming language(their own customized language) that no one uses(in 6 reviews)

Intern

Intern (Current Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsYou work on real projects and make differences in the company. No busy work. Everyone is friendly and know each other for the most part.

ConsManagement follows a disorganized method. Argo seems unwilling to adapt for future so products are outdated.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more organized and open to suggestions.

Great place to start at

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsThe training here is great if you are looking to move into management.
    Leadership is supportive, and open.
    Coworkers are friendly and helpful

ConsTechnology is old. Promises of updating have been heard for some time, but no movement as of yet.
    Recent layoffs hurt the companies image
    HR changes expectations mid year for End of Year review.
    Code is difficult to maintain.
    Pay is lower than average

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on updating the product
    Make more opportunities for employees to grow

Only recommended if a dead-end job is the best you can get

Certified Programmer II (Former Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsParking is nice. Some good people who were still there when I left. Training was mostly pretty good at imparting a base understanding of the proprietary language but imparting any other subject-matter information was wildly different from team to team. From seeing others, it seemed easy enough to slack off without consequence, so if you just want to collect a low-to-moderately sized paycheck for not much effort, that seems quite possible, with a caveat.

You can have a good experience if you luck into being placed with a good manager who hides his/her good deeds from the corporate overlords, but chances are even then you'll be working with ridiculously outdated technology and developing skills that won't transfer outside of the company.

ConsCaveat about being able to collect a paycheck endlessly for not much effort? Hope you don't land on doing an implementation. Implementation teams seemed to be whipping boys for the low-quality software, because they were expected to produce miracles with no time and little assistance. Their inability to do something that would qualify them for sainthood would result in a lot of wailing and knashing of teeth, with significant amounts of uncompensated overtime being how they were repaid for their efforts.

The company practically never closes for any reason. In the time I was there, the company was closed for half a day for inclement weather. As I was later told by someone who actually showed up to the building in the morning on that day, apparently no one with keys decided it was worth coming in, meaning employees who had braved the icy roads wound up locked out of the office and the lack of anyone to open the building forced the company to take the extraordinary step of actually closing the office for half a day. Note the half-day. Roads had not improved and actually deteriorated some by noon, but they'd managed to get the building unlocked, so the office was open for business.

That was on a Friday, and the following Monday saw another ice storm hit. Not only was the office open that morning, but that afternoon was when the 80 person layoff that is discussed in other reviews happened. "Congratulations on risking your life to show up to work, you've been laid off 2 weeks before Christmas, and your 'severance' pay is that we'll pay you through this month. Good luck lining up interviews for a new job just as Christmas and the New Year are happening!"

That layoff was crazy. A fellow employee I spoke to sometimes got a promotion (that was coming through "once the paperwork goes through" of course) in the weeks proceeding that, only to end up being part of the giant layoff.

The company has VPN capability, but restricts employees from working remotely in lieu of being in office. Got a situation where you have to be present elsewhere but would have the ability to work remotely? Too bad, take 1 of your 2 personal days for the year to cover it. VPN is only for when you've already put in 8 hours at the office but have to work another 4-5. I met too many people who actually had to make use of the system like this.

The proprietary language is a goddamn nightmare to maintain. Their systems cannot be debugged on-the-fly. Most any change requires a process of rebuilding and reloading that can take 4-5 minutes to process. This leads to defect resolution often being nightmarish, particularly when you run into undocumented behavior and have to look desperately for one of the few people who have 10+ years of experience who might be able to answer essential questions. This happens way more than you might think.

Company seemed to have no real goal going forward. At several points some long term visions of development were laid out, only for them to be scrapped weeks if not days later.

Compensation was relatively poor, creating a great incentive for anyone who was offered a reasonable salary to leave, because they'd be getting paid more to leave this noxious environment. And as a final boot on the way out of the door, the company doesn't pay out any accrued vacation time when you leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour software needs a fundamental overhaul on all levels, and with the quality of software you've been producing, asking any of your banks to do a complete overhaul could be suicide for being able to keep them as clients. Incremental change won't do it. The architecture must be reworked and the proprietary language must be replaced by something that makes sense. And all of this is something you're going to have to do while recruiting better talent, genuinely evolving your processes to where they might only be 5-10 years out of date instead of 20+, and treating your employees with more respect.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointed

Certified Programmer I (Former Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsDue to the fact that much of the software is proprietary, there are good opportunities to learn new things. Great team and manager for the most part. Good office location, plenty of covered parking.

ConsI've been told it is difficult to excel in performance reviews, although I wasn't there long enough to know firsthand. Upper management seems to have unrealistic expectations when developing project plans and timelines, leading to long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employers more; set more realistic goals. Improve the lines of communication.

A job where you can do the minimum, for life.

Certified Programmer (Current Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsYou can do what is required of you and as long as you don't make any enemies, you'll have a job for life.
    Work on proprietary systems, so your a valuable resource once you've mastered it.
    Starting salaries for entry level is decent.
    Great people to work with, except for a few on the higher levels.

ConsProprietary system that no one completely understands.
    Raises are non existent and they do not give cost of living increases.
    You can move up fast, if you're in the right place, at the right time, but don't expect too much support.
    And the Toilet Paper rumor is TRUE, I believe they make it ultra thin to curb excessive time in the restroom.
    You have to unroll it out sooooo slow, in order for it to not break.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your CURRENT employees better.

No Cross Team Communication, No Vision from Senior Management, Brain Drain in Progress

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsThere are some good people who work here(though most have left)

ConsCommunication and Cooperation between groups is non-existent.
    Company Culture is abysmal
    Senior Management has no vision
    Most employees(especially management) are more focused on getting blame passed to another group rather than getting things done.
    After major layoffs, the people who are competent are leaving. This leaves the dregs working there.

Not for seasoned professionals

Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsAt the time I worked there I met some really great folks that I have kept up with over the years. Fortunately during my tenure I had the opportunity to work with some really great clients, several also keep in contact with. The pro that stays with me is that the company, at least at that time, didn't mess around with employees that don't get the job done. If you have made an attempt to work with a person on your team to improve and they don't, leadership would listen to the manager if they felt an individual should be let go and dismissal would happen quickly. You just don't see that in large companies.

Cons- Flat organization which limits upward mobility UNLESS you are a management favorite. That favoritism was blatant and no one really tried to hide it.
    - Senior leadership is a group of yes-men and are puppets for the boys at the top.
    - Seasoned professionals will not last long at this company, which was my issue. The owner and senior leadership frankly prefer young kids out of college that don't know any better and insiders that have grown up in the company and have sufficiently drunk the kool aid. No room for ideas outside of a very small group of leaders.
    - Leaders at the top will routinely throw you under the bus in front of a customer and blame you for a failed decision when it was their call in the first place.
    - Work/Life balance is non-existent. In order to deliver on the promises made to the customer regarding the software/product capability (many things just flat were not developed but the customer was sold that they were), project teams have to work 7 days a week, late nights, etc. to make it happen only to be told they aren't doing enough. Sadly I had a customer ask me during an onsite evening meeting if I thought they had been sold a bill of goods. What do you say to that? The only answer was no answer.
    - Bonuses and raises are saved for management and the favorites of management
    - Having worked at several companies before I joined Argo, I had seen and experienced different ways of getting to the same result. Senior leadership is not intereted in hearing other ways of doing things. It's worked like this for all these years, we are not going to change.
    - Leadership manages by fear....and then wonder why the turnover rate is very very high. I've never worked at a company with that sort of turnover. In fairness I cannot comment on what's been done since I left but given the same leadership team is in place, one can only surmise that not much has changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize, respect, and listen to your seasoned employees...you might actually learn something. Ensure as a leadreship team you have stacked the deck and implemented the policies to ensure ALL employees have what they need to be successful....not just your favorite yes men/women. If you have not put the effort in, you cannot expect your turnover rate to recede and should not blame the employee if they do not succeed. Your job is to support your staff, not impede their progress.

Manager

Tech Lead (Former Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsNice cubes. That's it. Seriously. There are no pros for this horrible excuse for a company.

ConsThe owner is completely delusional. He has run the company in to the ground, ran off his corporate staff, and blames everything on the employees.

The pay across the board is way under the industry average, and raises do NOT happen.

They shotgun hire graduates every year because of the HUGE yearly turn over of employees. You are an old timer at this company if you make it two years.

Last but not least, the owner laid off 20% of the employees one week before Christmas 2013. He claimed it was due to the economy. One week later he sent out an email to the company telling them how there are no issues because they are making plenty of money.

This is a dead end company. Run in the opposite direction as quickly as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your resume, and get out.

The downside of owner run companies

Product Manager (Current Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsThe plus side is that decisions can be made fast, of course that means direction changes often

ConsOut of date owner, chasing the past

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people they will lead to the right decisions

Shoved off a Ledge

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsCompensation is fair and medical benefits are good.

ConsWorking at ARGO is like standing on a ledge knowing you will be shoved off that ledge at any point in time. Company stifles creativity, growth, and independence. Lacks integrity and cares little for its employees. No tuition reimbursement nor is there a salary adjustment for those who independently obtain a degree related to their position. Lies to prospective employees about positions, working environment, and bonuses. Encourages employees to lie to its clients on ARGO experience and “standard” business processes. Senior management sets poor example by humiliating and/or reprimanding employees in front of clients, competitors, and/or peers, performance reviews good or bad lack examples and more than often contain surprised subjective feedback, altered feedback, or feedback left to the subject to believe is untrue.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to practice what they preach. Lead by example. Follow the Harvard ManageMentor philosophy they rolled out with “all” employees. Follow standard business processes for positions such as PM, BA, QA, Development, etc. Empower employees, listen to employees, encourage independent thinking, and reward employees. Lead through motivation and encouragement, not by intimidation or fear.

Worked for Argo Data? Contribute to the Community!