Argo Data Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

My first feeling after being laid off? RELIEF!

Former Employee - Software Developer in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Richardson, TX

I worked at Argo Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Nice cubicles - My manager at least tried to give me a productive work experience - I made some good friends and contacts, but the company does not have a right to claim credit for this.

Cons

- Terrible company with terrible leadership - Old, outdated technology - Crappy compensation. Raises and bonuses are at worst nonexistent, and at best insulting - Vicious political system - This company truly does deserve a 1-star rating on everything listed below: Career Opportunities, Compensation, Work/Life balance, Senior Management, and their laughable 'Culture & Values' - As stated in the title.... The day I was laid off from this company was the best day I ever had with them. Although I had some good career moments while working, I'd never felt utter joy like how I did when I was laid off. I didn't think layoffs were supposed to feel this good but as soon as the CEO said 'You are all experiencing workforce reduction,' I immediately felt 20 lbs lighter. We were let go by around noon, so I got a nice half day back to myself. Their layoff/career placement program was also a joke. My boss also called everyone else in our department to a 3 hour meeting while employees were being laid off, so I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to my coworkers/friends. As karma would have it, my boss got the boot himself a few months later. - This is a warning to recent graduates..... This company preys on fresh college graduates who have no work experience and just don't know any better about corporate America. I should've realized this when they offered me a HIGHER salary than my initial offer, but I just couldn't have known better while so young and inexperienced. They will also force you to do development in a proprietary language that is ancient and full of errors/inconsistencies. I believe part of this is to deprive you of skills that are transferrable to other jobs so that you are forced to stay working at ARGO for longer. I remember very clearly the desperation I felt in trying to find a job as soon as I finished college. I gave in to pressure from my parents, mentors, and career counselors to take the first job that came close to my salary requirements. This turned out to be a very fatal mistake on my part. I suppose you could frame it as a positive that I was able to survive at such a vicious company for so long, but this is not the way to harden yourself and to become stronger as a person. Look up 'bonded labor,' and you will start to understand ARGO's recruiting process. They will lure you in with promises of developing software for large banks, and will do their darndest to trap you there. Furthermore, there is a good chance that working here will sour your opinion of working overall. A paycheck is not worth your soul, so don't make this mistake. There are also (quite credible) rumors that the movie 'Office Space' was based on this company. Don't be unlucky enough to find out for real.

Advice to Management

- Start actually giving a damn about your employees. I understand that this is a futile attempt to say anything because I know most of you will never care.

Great place to start

Current Employee - Certified Programmer I in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Certified Programmer I in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Argo Data full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Able to learn alot working with a large application.

Cons

No cons to speak of.

If you are serious about user experience, do not apply for a job here.

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Richardson, TX

I worked at Argo Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people who I worked with when I was there were very nice.

Cons

This company absolutely does not understand what user experience means. Most UX folks don't last a year. They will not allow you to talk to actual users. They believe that the product managers are SMEs. They also believe that business analysts can do the work of UX professionals. Do not be tempted... Do not apply here.

Advice to Management

Your products will never improve if you do not allow the UX folks you hire to do the jobs they need to do.

Don't be fooled by the hype, this is a mediocre company

Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Richards, MO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Richards, MO

I worked at Argo Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location is nice, endless places to grab lunch

Cons

The company claims it has a large amount of cash, but they certainty don't share it with their employees - could be tied up in lawsuits. Most of the software developers are either assigned to fix bugs or verify bugs have been fixed. The few developers that are assigned to do new product development have tight deadlines and limited resources. The companies products and processes are stuck in the 90s. Managers seem unable to adapt and change. Monetary incentives are almost non-existent except to upper management and a few favorites. If you want to be on the cutting edge or even a dull edge, this is not the place for you. You will be endlessly frustrated by the product, the process, and especially the management.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a fundamental cultural change, so that the employees are valued and treated as assets. Hiring people right out of college because they are cheap and don't know any better is not a sustainable business model for a modern software company. Hire experienced developers, product managers, and project managers and then actually LISTEN to them and allow them to do their jobs. Send your managers to school to learn modern software development methodologies and management skills. Get rid of the dinosaurs.

The grass is not always greener

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Richardson, TX

I worked at Argo Data full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good tools and processes in place. Good people who are not at the management level. The company tries to make employees happy through team building experiences and outside activities.

Cons

Poorly designed product with a lot of unhappy customers. Low wages. Teams are split up and it is inconvenient when trying to work on a project together.

Advice to Management

Don't deliver super-flawed software to customers. Slow down and fix the problems.

Room to advance but....

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Richardson, TX

I worked at Argo Data full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team members were nice and knowledgeable about the ARGO Platform. Good opportunity to do large scale projects for large financial institutions. Good contracting opportunities for ARGO banks once you learn the software. There is room for growth within the company and management opportunities if you work hard and upper managment likes you.

Cons

Compensation is lower than average for the area. They use a proprietary programming language and it was way behind languages like c# so your development experience will not get you far with other companies. When I was there they only hired new developers straight out of college and most leave once the find out they realize the skills they are learning doesn't apply to 99% of software companies. Upper management isn't realistic when creating project timelines so be prepared to work a lot of hours. If you are a manager be prepared to have your developers taken off your project and moved to another project that is facing a tighter deadline.

Advice to Management

Dump the proprietary programming language, hire some experienced developers, pay them fairly and keep them around for more than 6 months.

Don't waste one or two years of your career

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Argo Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

cubicle are ok, that's it

Cons

It's like a revolving door here, attrition rate is high, seems like 2-3 per week. The technology is ancient and the skills you learn are worthless outside of the company. Product research and design seems like an afterthought, timelines are set up and you try to meet them. The longer you stay, the more your skills will become outdated. Raises are almost non existent, no cost of living raises, you can be here for two years without a single raise. Although there is a bonus plan, it is complicated and doesn't seem that anyone but upper management is eligible Other benefits are below average, you even have to stay at least two years to get a small portion of the company 401k match. Don't plan on getting any time off except vacation and sick, you won't get comp time for working overtime, no days off for treacherous icy days in the winter, and not even a couple hours off before major holidays.

Advice to Management

The quality of your products is a direct reflection of how you treat and value your employees. Instead of the current "employees are just going to leave, so don't give them anything" philosophy, try implementing an actual employee retention plan to get and keep quality employees. Pay competitive salaries, actual bonuses, pay for professional development, and have a real appreciation for your employees and the work that they do for the company. This place is like a house of cards.

Great place to start at

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at Argo Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The training here is great if you are looking to move into management. Leadership is supportive, and open. Coworkers are friendly and helpful

Cons

Technology is old. Promises of updating have been heard for some time, but no movement as of yet. Recent layoffs hurt the companies image HR changes expectations mid year for End of Year review. Code is difficult to maintain. Pay is lower than average

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on updating the product Make more opportunities for employees to grow

Only recommended if a dead-end job is the best you can get

Former Employee - Certified Programmer II in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Certified Programmer II in Richardson, TX

I worked at Argo Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Parking is nice. Some good people who were still there when I left. Training was mostly pretty good at imparting a base understanding of the proprietary language but imparting any other subject-matter information was wildly different from team to team. From seeing others, it seemed easy enough to slack off without consequence, so if you just want to collect a low-to-moderately sized paycheck for not much effort, that seems quite possible, with a caveat. You can have a good experience if you luck into being placed with a good manager who hides his/her good deeds from the corporate overlords, but chances are even then you'll be working with ridiculously outdated technology and developing skills that won't transfer outside of the company.

Cons

Caveat about being able to collect a paycheck endlessly for not much effort? Hope you don't land on doing an implementation. Implementation teams seemed to be whipping boys for the low-quality software, because they were expected to produce miracles with no time and little assistance. Their inability to do something that would qualify them for sainthood would result in a lot of wailing and knashing of teeth, with significant amounts of uncompensated overtime being how they were repaid for their efforts. The company practically never closes for any reason. In the time I was there, the company was closed for half a day for inclement weather. As I was later told by someone who actually showed up to the building in the morning on that day, apparently no one with keys decided it was worth coming in, meaning employees who had braved the icy roads wound up locked out of the office and the lack of anyone to open the building forced the company to take the extraordinary step of actually closing the office for half a day. Note the half-day. Roads had not improved and actually deteriorated some by noon, but they'd managed to get the building unlocked, so the office was open for business. That was on a Friday, and the following Monday saw another ice storm hit. Not only was the office open that morning, but that afternoon was when the 80 person layoff that is discussed in other reviews happened. "Congratulations on risking your life to show up to work, you've been laid off 2 weeks before Christmas, and your 'severance' pay is that we'll pay you through this month. Good luck lining up interviews for a new job just as Christmas and the New Year are happening!" That layoff was crazy. A fellow employee I spoke to sometimes got a promotion (that was coming through "once the paperwork goes through" of course) in the weeks proceeding that, only to end up being part of the giant layoff. The company has VPN capability, but restricts employees from working remotely in lieu of being in office. Got a situation where you have to be present elsewhere but would have the ability to work remotely? Too bad, take 1 of your 2 personal days for the year to cover it. VPN is only for when you've already put in 8 hours at the office but have to work another 4-5. I met too many people who actually had to make use of the system like this. The proprietary language is a goddamn nightmare to maintain. Their systems cannot be debugged on-the-fly. Most any change requires a process of rebuilding and reloading that can take 4-5 minutes to process. This leads to defect resolution often being nightmarish, particularly when you run into undocumented behavior and have to look desperately for one of the few people who have 10+ years of experience who might be able to answer essential questions. This happens way more than you might think. Company seemed to have no real goal going forward. At several points some long term visions of development were laid out, only for them to be scrapped weeks if not days later. Compensation was relatively poor, creating a great incentive for anyone who was offered a reasonable salary to leave, because they'd be getting paid more to leave this noxious environment. And as a final boot on the way out of the door, the company doesn't pay out any accrued vacation time when you leave.

Advice to Management

Your software needs a fundamental overhaul on all levels, and with the quality of software you've been producing, asking any of your banks to do a complete overhaul could be suicide for being able to keep them as clients. Incremental change won't do it. The architecture must be reworked and the proprietary language must be replaced by something that makes sense. And all of this is something you're going to have to do while recruiting better talent, genuinely evolving your processes to where they might only be 5-10 years out of date instead of 20+, and treating your employees with more respect.

A job where you can do the minimum, for life.

Current Employee - Certified Programmer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Certified Programmer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Argo Data full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can do what is required of you and as long as you don't make any enemies, you'll have a job for life. Work on proprietary systems, so your a valuable resource once you've mastered it. Starting salaries for entry level is decent. Great people to work with, except for a few on the higher levels.

Cons

Proprietary system that no one completely understands. Raises are non existent and they do not give cost of living increases. You can move up fast, if you're in the right place, at the right time, but don't expect too much support. And the Toilet Paper rumor is TRUE, I believe they make it ultra thin to curb excessive time in the restroom. You have to unroll it out sooooo slow, in order for it to not break.

Advice to Management

Treat your CURRENT employees better.

RSS Feed </> Embed