Argo Data Reviews

Updated March 22, 2015
74 reviews filtered by

Great place to start at

I worked at Argo Data full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The training here is great if you are looking to move into management.
    Leadership is supportive, and open.
    Coworkers are friendly and helpful

Cons

Technology is old. Promises of updating have been heard for some time, but no movement as of yet.
    Recent layoffs hurt the companies image
    HR changes expectations mid year for End of Year review.
    Code is difficult to maintain.
    Pay is lower than average

Continue to focus on updating the product
    Make more opportunities for employees to grow

Intern

Current Intern - Intern in Richardson, TX
    Current Intern - Intern in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Argo Data as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

You work on real projects and make differences in the company. No busy work. Everyone is friendly and know each other for the most part.

Cons

Management follows a disorganized method. Argo seems unwilling to adapt for future so products are outdated.

Be more organized and open to suggestions.

Only recommended if a dead-end job is the best you can get

Former Employee - Certified Programmer II in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Certified Programmer II in Richardson, TX

I worked at Argo Data full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Parking is nice. Some good people who were still there when I left. Training was mostly pretty good at imparting a base understanding of the proprietary language but imparting any other subject-matter information was wildly different from team to team. From seeing others, it seemed easy enough to slack off without consequence, so if you just want to collect a low-to-moderately sized paycheck for not much effort, that seems quite possible, with a caveat.

You can have a good experience if you luck into being placed with a good manager who hides his/her good deeds from the corporate overlords, but chances are even then you'll be working with ridiculously outdated technology and developing skills that won't transfer outside of the company.

Cons

Caveat about being able to collect a paycheck endlessly for not much effort? Hope you don't land on doing an implementation. Implementation teams seemed to be whipping boys for the low-quality software, because they were expected to produce miracles with no time and little assistance. Their inability to do something that would qualify them for sainthood would result in a lot of wailing and knashing of teeth, with significant amounts of uncompensated overtime being how they were repaid for their efforts.

The company practically never closes for any reason. In the time I was there, the company was closed for half a day for inclement weather. As I was later told by someone who actually showed up to the building in the morning on that day, apparently no one with keys decided it was worth coming in, meaning employees who had braved the icy roads wound up locked out of the office and the lack of anyone to open the building forced the company to take the extraordinary step of actually closing the office for half a day. Note the half-day. Roads had not improved and actually deteriorated some by noon, but they'd managed to get the building unlocked, so the office was open for business.

That was on a Friday, and the following Monday saw another ice storm hit. Not only was the office open that morning, but that afternoon was when the 80 person layoff that is discussed in other reviews happened. "Congratulations on risking your life to show up to work, you've been laid off 2 weeks before Christmas, and your 'severance' pay is that we'll pay you through this month. Good luck lining up interviews for a new job just as Christmas and the New Year are happening!"

That layoff was crazy. A fellow employee I spoke to sometimes got a promotion (that was coming through "once the paperwork goes through" of course) in the weeks proceeding that, only to end up being part of the giant layoff.

The company has VPN capability, but restricts employees from working remotely in lieu of being in office. Got a situation where you have to be present elsewhere but would have the ability to work remotely? Too bad, take 1 of your 2 personal days for the year to cover it. VPN is only for when you've already put in 8 hours at the office but have to work another 4-5. I met too many people who actually had to make use of the system like this.

The proprietary language is a goddamn nightmare to maintain. Their systems cannot be debugged on-the-fly. Most any change requires a process of rebuilding and reloading that can take 4-5 minutes to process. This leads to defect resolution often being nightmarish, particularly when you run into undocumented behavior and have to look desperately for one of the few people who have 10+ years of experience who might be able to answer essential questions. This happens way more than you might think.

Company seemed to have no real goal going forward. At several points some long term visions of development were laid out, only for them to be scrapped weeks if not days later.

Compensation was relatively poor, creating a great incentive for anyone who was offered a reasonable salary to leave, because they'd be getting paid more to leave this noxious environment. And as a final boot on the way out of the door, the company doesn't pay out any accrued vacation time when you leave.

Your software needs a fundamental overhaul on all levels, and with the quality of software you've been producing, asking any of your banks to do a complete overhaul could be suicide for being able to keep them as clients. Incremental change won't do it. The architecture must be reworked and the proprietary language must be replaced by something that makes sense. And all of this is something you're going to have to do while recruiting better talent, genuinely evolving your processes to where they might only be 5-10 years out of date instead of 20+, and treating your employees with more respect.

A job where you can do the minimum, for life.

Current Employee - Certified Programmer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Certified Programmer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Argo Data full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can do what is required of you and as long as you don't make any enemies, you'll have a job for life.
    Work on proprietary systems, so your a valuable resource once you've mastered it.
    Starting salaries for entry level is decent.
    Great people to work with, except for a few on the higher levels.

Cons

Proprietary system that no one completely understands.
    Raises are non existent and they do not give cost of living increases.
    You can move up fast, if you're in the right place, at the right time, but don't expect too much support.
    And the Toilet Paper rumor is TRUE, I believe they make it ultra thin to curb excessive time in the restroom.
    You have to unroll it out sooooo slow, in order for it to not break.

Treat your CURRENT employees better.

Disappointed

Former Employee - Certified Programmer I in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Certified Programmer I in Richardson, TX

I worked at Argo Data full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Due to the fact that much of the software is proprietary, there are good opportunities to learn new things. Great team and manager for the most part. Good office location, plenty of covered parking.

Cons

I've been told it is difficult to excel in performance reviews, although I wasn't there long enough to know firsthand. Upper management seems to have unrealistic expectations when developing project plans and timelines, leading to long hours.

Listen to your employers more; set more realistic goals. Improve the lines of communication.

No Cross Team Communication, No Vision from Senior Management, Brain Drain in Progress

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Argo Data full-time

Pros

There are some good people who work here(though most have left)

Cons

Communication and Cooperation between groups is non-existent.
    Company Culture is abysmal
    Senior Management has no vision
    Most employees(especially management) are more focused on getting blame passed to another group rather than getting things done.
    After major layoffs, the people who are competent are leaving. This leaves the dregs working there.

Not for seasoned professionals

Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Argo Data full-time (more than a year)

Pros

At the time I worked there I met some really great folks that I have kept up with over the years. Fortunately during my tenure I had the opportunity to work with some really great clients, several also keep in contact with. The pro that stays with me is that the company, at least at that time, didn't mess around with employees that don't get the job done. If you have made an attempt to work with a person on your team to improve and they don't, leadership would listen to the manager if they felt an individual should be let go and dismissal would happen quickly. You just don't see that in large companies.

Cons

- Flat organization which limits upward mobility UNLESS you are a management favorite. That favoritism was blatant and no one really tried to hide it.
    - Senior leadership is a group of yes-men and are puppets for the boys at the top.
    - Seasoned professionals will not last long at this company, which was my issue. The owner and senior leadership frankly prefer young kids out of college that don't know any better and insiders that have grown up in the company and have sufficiently drunk the kool aid. No room for ideas outside of a very small group of leaders.
    - Leaders at the top will routinely throw you under the bus in front of a customer and blame you for a failed decision when it was their call in the first place.
    - Work/Life balance is non-existent. In order to deliver on the promises made to the customer regarding the software/product capability (many things just flat were not developed but the customer was sold that they were), project teams have to work 7 days a week, late nights, etc. to make it happen only to be told they aren't doing enough. Sadly I had a customer ask me during an onsite evening meeting if I thought they had been sold a bill of goods. What do you say to that? The only answer was no answer.
    - Bonuses and raises are saved for management and the favorites of management
    - Having worked at several companies before I joined Argo, I had seen and experienced different ways of getting to the same result. Senior leadership is not intereted in hearing other ways of doing things. It's worked like this for all these years, we are not going to change.
    - Leadership manages by fear....and then wonder why the turnover rate is very very high. I've never worked at a company with that sort of turnover. In fairness I cannot comment on what's been done since I left but given the same leadership team is in place, one can only surmise that not much has changed.

Utilize, respect, and listen to your seasoned employees...you might actually learn something. Ensure as a leadreship team you have stacked the deck and implemented the policies to ensure ALL employees have what they need to be successful....not just your favorite yes men/women. If you have not put the effort in, you cannot expect your turnover rate to recede and should not blame the employee if they do not succeed. Your job is to support your staff, not impede their progress.

Manager

Former Employee - Tech Lead in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Tech Lead in Richardson, TX

I worked at Argo Data full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice cubes. That's it. Seriously. There are no pros for this horrible excuse for a company.

Cons

The owner is completely delusional. He has run the company in to the ground, ran off his corporate staff, and blames everything on the employees.

The pay across the board is way under the industry average, and raises do NOT happen.

They shotgun hire graduates every year because of the HUGE yearly turn over of employees. You are an old timer at this company if you make it two years.

Last but not least, the owner laid off 20% of the employees one week before Christmas 2013. He claimed it was due to the economy. One week later he sent out an email to the company telling them how there are no issues because they are making plenty of money.

This is a dead end company. Run in the opposite direction as quickly as possible.

Update your resume, and get out.

Shoved off a Ledge

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at Argo Data full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation is fair and medical benefits are good.

Cons

Working at ARGO is like standing on a ledge knowing you will be shoved off that ledge at any point in time. Company stifles creativity, growth, and independence. Lacks integrity and cares little for its employees. No tuition reimbursement nor is there a salary adjustment for those who independently obtain a degree related to their position. Lies to prospective employees about positions, working environment, and bonuses. Encourages employees to lie to its clients on ARGO experience and “standard” business processes. Senior management sets poor example by humiliating and/or reprimanding employees in front of clients, competitors, and/or peers, performance reviews good or bad lack examples and more than often contain surprised subjective feedback, altered feedback, or feedback left to the subject to believe is untrue.

Management needs to practice what they preach. Lead by example. Follow the Harvard ManageMentor philosophy they rolled out with “all” employees. Follow standard business processes for positions such as PM, BA, QA, Development, etc. Empower employees, listen to employees, encourage independent thinking, and reward employees. Lead through motivation and encouragement, not by intimidation or fear.

Worst job I EVER had. I gave it 1 star because I had to, to submit review

Former Employee - Programmer II in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Programmer II in Richardson, TX

I worked at Argo Data full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice cubes, flex hours, parking garage

Cons

Low pay, high expectations with no reward or incentive, long hours, NO job security, clueless management, horrible coding implementations standards, clueless staff and a review process that is laughable. 50% turnover rate within the first year. The product was the WORST I have ever seen in my career. ZERO documentation on the product.

You plan to hire people straight out of school and have them coding your product clueless is catching up to you. Your product is so kludged and pieced milled that it is almost unsupportable. I honestly don't see you sell your product to your clients? Do they not speak to each other? Horrible product.

Argo Data Photos

ARGO Data
ARGO building and surrounding greenery

+ Add Photo