Argo Data

www.argodata.com

Argo Data Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Max Martin

Pros
  • High turnover creates a lot of opportunity (in 3 reviews)

• There are some good people who work here(though most have left) (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Fear that concerns will not be heard by upper management (in 7 reviews)

• gt; They use a programming language(their own customized language) that no one uses (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst job I EVER had. I gave it 1 star because I had to, to submit review

Programmer II (Former Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsNice cubes, flex hours, parking garage

ConsLow pay, high expectations with no reward or incentive, long hours, NO job security, clueless management, horrible coding implementations standards, clueless staff and a review process that is laughable. 50% turnover rate within the first year. The product was the WORST I have ever seen in my career. ZERO documentation on the product.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou plan to hire people straight out of school and have them coding your product clueless is catching up to you. Your product is so kludged and pieced milled that it is almost unsupportable. I honestly don't see you sell your product to your clients? Do they not speak to each other? Horrible product.

Don't waste your time! Company is only going down hill!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome really nice people in the company.

Clean environment with nice tall cubes.

Monthly cake days.

Option to come into work between 7-9 and leave anytime after 4.

Cons83 people laid off in December 2013 without any warning and since then about 2-3 people have been leaving each week.

Young people are thrown into lead positions that are not prepared enough. All the experienced people leave the company so there is no choice. At least teach the 20 year olds how to manage a team before they deal with people's careers. This is one reason that drove me away.

Overtime is forced last minute but you don't get paid overtime or get any extra incentives. When you already have plans for the weekend or afternoon your manager is mad at you and it gets held against you in your next review.

Morale is always low even before the layoff. They plan some fun events during the year but overall the office is full of people complaining about their jobs.

No one cares about your goals or career growth. You can mention it but it goes in one ear and out the other (your managers).

Promotions and raises are far and in between unless you have a manager that will fight for a raise for you (those managers are rare).

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more involved and find out what is going on with people in your company. Help try and make employees feel like you care with the employees you do have left.

Some nice people, bad company and bad outlook

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsAll of my pros are not applicable to most other employees. I was lucky and was hired and placed on a team with a good manager and team members that didn't use the propriety ARGO language, so I had intelligent and friendly colleagues and gained useful experience. All 40 hour work weeks without needing to work overtime. That is not the case with the majority of employees.

Cons-Senior management very disconnected, opaque, closed-doors, and unstable. Upper management does not know what is going on in lower levels and don't seem to care.
    -Resistant to innovation and change. Most of the base ARGO systems and software consists of 20-25 year old, poorly documented, spaghetti code in C or C++, and most of the client systems are build on either a 20 year old proprietary language or a newer proprietary web application framework that is not stable, not well documented, and mostly word-of-mouth knowledge.
    -Many teams still use ARGO's propriety language, which is outdated and completely useless outside of the company.
    -20% of the company laid off in December 2013 with no warning, despite their apparently very large cash reserve and after a massive volume of hiring in the last year.
    -No to little reward for meeting or exceeding expectations. Sometimes promotions don't even come with a salary raise. Promotions that do involve a raise are usually insignificant or even insulting.
    -Relatively low salaries, below industry and area average.
    -Little to no culture. Despite the best efforts of some employees, there is not an exciting or fun corporate culture here, and many employees are like drones.
    -Bad cross-team communication and collaboration. Differences in priorities makes getting resources from or collaborating with other teams like pulling teeth and basically requires an order from senior managers to get anything done.
    -Lack of talent. Many of the talented or even average employees leave because they can find better jobs elsewhere, and many of the ones that stay (but definitely not all) are arrogant and not easy to work with. So you are left with a lot of under-performers, some average and talented but arrogant employees, spattered with a small group of friendly and talented employees.
    -Bad company outlook. The only thing keeping the company up is the fact that its products are already so entangled with large banks that it would be very costly to go somewhere else.
    -Bad career advancement opportunities. It is not a meritocracy, and advancement is largely dependent on the people you know or sheer luck (in my case, both).
    -Very bureaucratic. The review process is overly structured, takes too long, and is largely dependent upon having the right flowery wording and hitting certain buzz words. It takes 2-4 months to even get feedback from reviews or for promotions to be decided. The CEO has to approve all promotions, which wouldn't be bad if he knew who he was promoting and didn't take 3 months to approve it.
    -Lack of trust between senior management and managers. The senior management does not trust their managers to make the right decisions and manage their teams correctly, leading to drawn out approval processes, lack of communication, differing expectations and priorities, and disregard for input by the managers who actually know the people working for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees and hiring and retaining good people. Develop a trust and culture where people actually care about the company and have loyalty. Compensate and reward people for the work they do. Trust your managers or hire ones that you can trust. Have a relationship with those who work for you. At this point the company may be too far gone to recover because of the decisions and people in upper management ruining the reputation of the company and driving most of the good people there away.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The absolute worst selection a new grad can make

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsTall cubes, nice location and office building, fitness center, cake days, nice desktop machines, employees are kind and helpful, work/life balance is nice most of the time

ConsPeople have mentioned the technology in a lot of the reviews, and it's impact on your development as a programmer cannot be overstated. It is not only a poorly documented and archaic proprietary system, it sucks up any hard skill development that you should be gaining in the critical first year of your career. Do not overvalue a paycheck and undervalue meaningful experience. This will put you at a severe disadvantage for opportunities elsewhere, entry level or otherwise. And do not believe any of the recruiting half truths about modernization. The chance of landing on any project even remotely modern is next to nil. Do your career a favor and avoid this place like the plague of irrelevant tech that it is.

Everything else about the management, culture, and pay has been said by others but here's some food for thought:

- A Master's Degree provides no compensation bump, and there is no continued education program.
    - There is a non-compete clause in the employee contract. They will use it.
    - There is an 18 month relocation expense repayment window. Out of state prospects beware.
    - Undocumented "Good will" defect fixes and enhancements aren't necessarily scope creep.

Do the math. They pay and reward you poorly as you work on dated or proprietary technology, and as people reasonably want to move on, they throw contract stipulations at you to make it harder. It's as awful as it sounds

And there were layoffs recently. 80 people. Two weeks before Christmas.

This is a no brainer. Stay away.

Advice to Senior ManagementModernize. You're not doing your employees or yourself any favors by selling your legacy products over and over again. It's pretty obvious it's not sustainable anymore. And the competitive job market isn't the problem, guys. Take the low pay, low prospects for advancement, non-transferrable skills and what do you expect? You can't contractually bully people into staying. Address the issues head on or sell the place to someone who will.

Easy to enter, impossible to succeed

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsThere are some great people, and it's a decent place to get your corporate feet wet and introduce college students to the woes of corporate bureaucracy.

ConsThe starting pay is laughable, and doesn't get much better from there. Management has unnecessarily high expectations on all employees. To just meet expectations you must go above and beyond the call of duty. Many who exceeded expectations were told they were paid well enough for their work, and they shouldn't expect to see anything any time soon. The timelines are bad, enforced by the Iron Hammer of Max and David. Any reasonable Scope Estimates for projects are immediately quartered, and using more than half that amount puts the project under fire.

ARGO Management boasted >$150M in the bank, trying to achieve 100M profit annually, and yet no compensation was given to employees. Raises and promotions only happen to those who threaten to quit. Bonuses were promised in the employee "contract", but were never given. I had bonuses dangled in front of my nose, but they got lost in the bureaucratic nonsense. Speaking to a current employee, those bonuses are _still_ promised to "happen very soon" but nothing has come of any of them.

Argo uses an in-house proprietary language that is too simplistic for modern day working. Development skills will atrophy for anyone forced to use this language for an extended period of time. There were measures taken to improve that, but getting on the team to modernize the application is extremely difficult and unlikely to happen.

Argo never closes, and does not allow remote development! If the weather is hazardous, it will cost you a personal day (vacation must be scheduled weeks in advance), otherwise you must drive in to the office. If a project is against the grindstone (see Scope Estimates), be prepared to work on holidays and weekends. There is no OTP.

While there are many good employees, there are lots of bad ones. I have captured many of the employees asleep in their cubes, playing solitaire instead of working, or just idly chatting with their buddies instead of working. It was very demoralizing to know that while I busted my rump to get my work done, these people pulled the same amount I did. Discussing these employees with management was met with "We'll put them on a PMP" and then nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation is key. During my many years of employment I received raises only when management heard I was looking for a new job. I got a bonus the first year of employment, and despite many other successful projects never saw another. Start treating your employees as people, not working-slaves, and start weeding the chaff.

They lure you in with false claims

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsThe only reason TO work here is to have the privilege of meeting a few solid/decent people

ConsThey have no problems lying to their potential employees or to their employees. Management is appalling, at best. Every good quality person you meet seems to leave within 2 years because they're overworked to compensate for the people who cannot perform.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying, fire people who shouldn't be working there and reward the people who actually make the company a good place to work at. The CEO needs to step back and stop padding his wallet at the expense of good quality people.

It's a one man show and no else can know. Good ol boy network.

Certified Programmer II (Current Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsHow long can you be a cog in the wheel? They don't ask much and they don't promote much.

ConsNo communication or knowledge sharing. Share Point is not a bad thing. You need a PMO and Agile Development.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo public. Being private has you lacking in current technology and best practices.

The company sets the bar very high and moves it up every year. They hire over-achievers and have high expectations.

Technical Writer (Current Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsOpportunities to gain valuable experience. Stable company that is privately owned. Good working conditions. Nice location. Covered parking. Some managers are excellent. HR is improving review processes. Under achievers and negative employees don't last long.

ConsIt is difficult to exceed expectations and get a decent raise. Because expectations are so high, a high-achiever is just doing his job here, but would be considered exceeding at other companies. Employees can become disillusioned when they cannot get a decent raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't advertise bonuses as part of compensation. How to earn a bonus is too undefined and not a company-wide given. Give periodic company updates to employees. Create and disseminate clear company goals for employees to support.

High Expectations

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsKnowledgeable, capable and for the most part friendly employees. Company undertaking new development using new technology to reinvent their mature product offerings

ConsOperational segments of company are in silos somewhat difficult to cross organizational lines, although they are working to correct this issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep employees apprised of expectations as it would allow a better chance to perform to the appropriate level'

I lasted 2 weeks, then ran

Busi (Former Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsNice office.
    Intelligent co-workers.
    Streamlined orientation process.

ConsThe interview wasn't full of lies, but full of omissions. I found out after start my supervisor was a part-time employee, not available 3 days a week. Manager never made an appearance, although he was an elevator ride away. I even asked him about that. His response: a shoulder shrug with a "oh well". Some teams were toxic and bad-mouthed each other even on my first day. This never stopped even for an hour. And the technology they use? Please. Ancient 8.3 file names?

Advice to Senior ManagementChuck the management. The few I met were useless.

Worked for Argo Data? Contribute to the Community!