Argo Data

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014
2.0

Max Martin

Pros
  • There are some good people who work here(though most have left) (in 6 reviews)

• High turnover creates a lot of opportunity (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Monetary incentives are almost non-existent except to upper management and a few favorites (in 10 reviews)

• Raises are non existent and they do not give cost of living increases (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Disappointed

Former Employee - Certified Programmer I in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Certified Programmer I in Richardson, TX

I worked at Argo Data full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Due to the fact that much of the software is proprietary, there are good opportunities to learn new things. Great team and manager for the most part. Good office location, plenty of covered parking.

Cons

I've been told it is difficult to excel in performance reviews, although I wasn't there long enough to know firsthand. Upper management seems to have unrealistic expectations when developing project plans and timelines, leading to long hours.

Listen to your employers more; set more realistic goals. Improve the lines of communication.

A job where you can do the minimum, for life.

Current Employee - Certified Programmer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Certified Programmer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Argo Data full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can do what is required of you and as long as you don't make any enemies, you'll have a job for life.
    Work on proprietary systems, so your a valuable resource once you've mastered it.
    Starting salaries for entry level is decent.
    Great people to work with, except for a few on the higher levels.

Cons

Proprietary system that no one completely understands.
    Raises are non existent and they do not give cost of living increases.
    You can move up fast, if you're in the right place, at the right time, but don't expect too much support.
    And the Toilet Paper rumor is TRUE, I believe they make it ultra thin to curb excessive time in the restroom.
    You have to unroll it out sooooo slow, in order for it to not break.

Treat your CURRENT employees better.

No Cross Team Communication, No Vision from Senior Management, Brain Drain in Progress

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Argo Data full-time

Pros

There are some good people who work here(though most have left)

Cons

Communication and Cooperation between groups is non-existent.
    Company Culture is abysmal
    Senior Management has no vision
    Most employees(especially management) are more focused on getting blame passed to another group rather than getting things done.
    After major layoffs, the people who are competent are leaving. This leaves the dregs working there.

Not for seasoned professionals

Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Argo Data full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At the time I worked there I met some really great folks that I have kept up with over the years. Fortunately during my tenure I had the opportunity to work with some really great clients, several also keep in contact with. The pro that stays with me is that the company, at least at that time, didn't mess around with employees that don't get the job done. If you have made an attempt to work with a person on your team to improve and they don't, leadership would listen to the manager if they felt an individual should be let go and dismissal would happen quickly. You just don't see that in large companies.

Cons

- Flat organization which limits upward mobility UNLESS you are a management favorite. That favoritism was blatant and no one really tried to hide it.
    - Senior leadership is a group of yes-men and are puppets for the boys at the top.
    - Seasoned professionals will not last long at this company, which was my issue. The owner and senior leadership frankly prefer young kids out of college that don't know any better and insiders that have grown up in the company and have sufficiently drunk the kool aid. No room for ideas outside of a very small group of leaders.
    - Leaders at the top will routinely throw you under the bus in front of a customer and blame you for a failed decision when it was their call in the first place.
    - Work/Life balance is non-existent. In order to deliver on the promises made to the customer regarding the software/product capability (many things just flat were not developed but the customer was sold that they were), project teams have to work 7 days a week, late nights, etc. to make it happen only to be told they aren't doing enough. Sadly I had a customer ask me during an onsite evening meeting if I thought they had been sold a bill of goods. What do you say to that? The only answer was no answer.
    - Bonuses and raises are saved for management and the favorites of management
    - Having worked at several companies before I joined Argo, I had seen and experienced different ways of getting to the same result. Senior leadership is not intereted in hearing other ways of doing things. It's worked like this for all these years, we are not going to change.
    - Leadership manages by fear....and then wonder why the turnover rate is very very high. I've never worked at a company with that sort of turnover. In fairness I cannot comment on what's been done since I left but given the same leadership team is in place, one can only surmise that not much has changed.

Utilize, respect, and listen to your seasoned employees...you might actually learn something. Ensure as a leadreship team you have stacked the deck and implemented the policies to ensure ALL employees have what they need to be successful....not just your favorite yes men/women. If you have not put the effort in, you cannot expect your turnover rate to recede and should not blame the employee if they do not succeed. Your job is to support your staff, not impede their progress.

Manager

Former Employee - Tech Lead in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Tech Lead in Richardson, TX

I worked at Argo Data full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice cubes. That's it. Seriously. There are no pros for this horrible excuse for a company.

Cons

The owner is completely delusional. He has run the company in to the ground, ran off his corporate staff, and blames everything on the employees.

The pay across the board is way under the industry average, and raises do NOT happen.

They shotgun hire graduates every year because of the HUGE yearly turn over of employees. You are an old timer at this company if you make it two years.

Last but not least, the owner laid off 20% of the employees one week before Christmas 2013. He claimed it was due to the economy. One week later he sent out an email to the company telling them how there are no issues because they are making plenty of money.

This is a dead end company. Run in the opposite direction as quickly as possible.

Update your resume, and get out.

Shoved off a Ledge

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at Argo Data full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation is fair and medical benefits are good.

Cons

Working at ARGO is like standing on a ledge knowing you will be shoved off that ledge at any point in time. Company stifles creativity, growth, and independence. Lacks integrity and cares little for its employees. No tuition reimbursement nor is there a salary adjustment for those who independently obtain a degree related to their position. Lies to prospective employees about positions, working environment, and bonuses. Encourages employees to lie to its clients on ARGO experience and “standard” business processes. Senior management sets poor example by humiliating and/or reprimanding employees in front of clients, competitors, and/or peers, performance reviews good or bad lack examples and more than often contain surprised subjective feedback, altered feedback, or feedback left to the subject to believe is untrue.

Management needs to practice what they preach. Lead by example. Follow the Harvard ManageMentor philosophy they rolled out with “all” employees. Follow standard business processes for positions such as PM, BA, QA, Development, etc. Empower employees, listen to employees, encourage independent thinking, and reward employees. Lead through motivation and encouragement, not by intimidation or fear.

Worst job I EVER had. I gave it 1 star because I had to, to submit review

Former Employee - Programmer II in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Programmer II in Richardson, TX

I worked at Argo Data full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice cubes, flex hours, parking garage

Cons

Low pay, high expectations with no reward or incentive, long hours, NO job security, clueless management, horrible coding implementations standards, clueless staff and a review process that is laughable. 50% turnover rate within the first year. The product was the WORST I have ever seen in my career. ZERO documentation on the product.

You plan to hire people straight out of school and have them coding your product clueless is catching up to you. Your product is so kludged and pieced milled that it is almost unsupportable. I honestly don't see you sell your product to your clients? Do they not speak to each other? Horrible product.

Don't waste your time! Company is only going down hill!

I worked at Argo Data

Pros

Some really nice people in the company.

Clean environment with nice tall cubes.

Monthly cake days.

Option to come into work between 7-9 and leave anytime after 4.

Cons

83 people laid off in December 2013 without any warning and since then about 2-3 people have been leaving each week.

Young people are thrown into lead positions that are not prepared enough. All the experienced people leave the company so there is no choice. At least teach the 20 year olds how to manage a team before they deal with people's careers. This is one reason that drove me away.

Overtime is forced last minute but you don't get paid overtime or get any extra incentives. When you already have plans for the weekend or afternoon your manager is mad at you and it gets held against you in your next review.

Morale is always low even before the layoff. They plan some fun events during the year but overall the office is full of people complaining about their jobs.

No one cares about your goals or career growth. You can mention it but it goes in one ear and out the other (your managers).

Promotions and raises are far and in between unless you have a manager that will fight for a raise for you (those managers are rare).

Be more involved and find out what is going on with people in your company. Help try and make employees feel like you care with the employees you do have left.

Some nice people, bad company and bad outlook

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Richardson, TX

I worked at Argo Data full-time (more than an year)

Pros

All of my pros are not applicable to most other employees. I was lucky and was hired and placed on a team with a good manager and team members that didn't use the propriety ARGO language, so I had intelligent and friendly colleagues and gained useful experience. All 40 hour work weeks without needing to work overtime. That is not the case with the majority of employees.

Cons

-Senior management very disconnected, opaque, closed-doors, and unstable. Upper management does not know what is going on in lower levels and don't seem to care.
    -Resistant to innovation and change. Most of the base ARGO systems and software consists of 20-25 year old, poorly documented, spaghetti code in C or C++, and most of the client systems are build on either a 20 year old proprietary language or a newer proprietary web application framework that is not stable, not well documented, and mostly word-of-mouth knowledge.
    -Many teams still use ARGO's propriety language, which is outdated and completely useless outside of the company.
    -20% of the company laid off in December 2013 with no warning, despite their apparently very large cash reserve and after a massive volume of hiring in the last year.
    -No to little reward for meeting or exceeding expectations. Sometimes promotions don't even come with a salary raise. Promotions that do involve a raise are usually insignificant or even insulting.
    -Relatively low salaries, below industry and area average.
    -Little to no culture. Despite the best efforts of some employees, there is not an exciting or fun corporate culture here, and many employees are like drones.
    -Bad cross-team communication and collaboration. Differences in priorities makes getting resources from or collaborating with other teams like pulling teeth and basically requires an order from senior managers to get anything done.
    -Lack of talent. Many of the talented or even average employees leave because they can find better jobs elsewhere, and many of the ones that stay (but definitely not all) are arrogant and not easy to work with. So you are left with a lot of under-performers, some average and talented but arrogant employees, spattered with a small group of friendly and talented employees.
    -Bad company outlook. The only thing keeping the company up is the fact that its products are already so entangled with large banks that it would be very costly to go somewhere else.
    -Bad career advancement opportunities. It is not a meritocracy, and advancement is largely dependent on the people you know or sheer luck (in my case, both).
    -Very bureaucratic. The review process is overly structured, takes too long, and is largely dependent upon having the right flowery wording and hitting certain buzz words. It takes 2-4 months to even get feedback from reviews or for promotions to be decided. The CEO has to approve all promotions, which wouldn't be bad if he knew who he was promoting and didn't take 3 months to approve it.
    -Lack of trust between senior management and managers. The senior management does not trust their managers to make the right decisions and manage their teams correctly, leading to drawn out approval processes, lack of communication, differing expectations and priorities, and disregard for input by the managers who actually know the people working for them.

Care about your employees and hiring and retaining good people. Develop a trust and culture where people actually care about the company and have loyalty. Compensate and reward people for the work they do. Trust your managers or hire ones that you can trust. Have a relationship with those who work for you. At this point the company may be too far gone to recover because of the decisions and people in upper management ruining the reputation of the company and driving most of the good people there away.

The absolute worst selection a new grad can make

I worked at Argo Data full-time

Pros

Tall cubes, nice location and office building, fitness center, cake days, nice desktop machines, employees are kind and helpful, work/life balance is nice most of the time

Cons

People have mentioned the technology in a lot of the reviews, and it's impact on your development as a programmer cannot be overstated. It is not only a poorly documented and archaic proprietary system, it sucks up any hard skill development that you should be gaining in the critical first year of your career. Do not overvalue a paycheck and undervalue meaningful experience. This will put you at a severe disadvantage for opportunities elsewhere, entry level or otherwise. And do not believe any of the recruiting half truths about modernization. The chance of landing on any project even remotely modern is next to nil. Do your career a favor and avoid this place like the plague of irrelevant tech that it is.

Everything else about the management, culture, and pay has been said by others but here's some food for thought:

- A Master's Degree provides no compensation bump, and there is no continued education program.
    - There is a non-compete clause in the employee contract. They will use it.
    - There is an 18 month relocation expense repayment window. Out of state prospects beware.
    - Undocumented "Good will" defect fixes and enhancements aren't necessarily scope creep.

Do the math. They pay and reward you poorly as you work on dated or proprietary technology, and as people reasonably want to move on, they throw contract stipulations at you to make it harder. It's as awful as it sounds

And there were layoffs recently. 80 people. Two weeks before Christmas.

This is a no brainer. Stay away.

Modernize. You're not doing your employees or yourself any favors by selling your legacy products over and over again. It's pretty obvious it's not sustainable anymore. And the competitive job market isn't the problem, guys. Take the low pay, low prospects for advancement, non-transferrable skills and what do you expect? You can't contractually bully people into staying. Address the issues head on or sell the place to someone who will.

Argo Data Photos

ARGO Data
ARGO building and surrounding greenery

+ Add Photo