Argo Group US

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark E. Watson III

Work Hard and it pays off!

ProsThe employees at Argo Group and it's subsidiary companies are some of the best professionals in the specialty insurance space I have ever met. The offices continue to get upgraded. The systems are being upgraded to match our specialty-this is not easy, but we know it will be worth it.

ConsWe continue to experience the typical growing pains of a company our size, which can be tough-but it definitely pays off! We are a public company and an insurance company so there is a double whammy of compliance-this can be tough-but it will keep us from ending up like another AIG.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the training programs you are starting with managers and others. Please try and be more consistent with salary review processes-it will keep people here longer. .

In the last several years the entire culture changed for the worse, especially in the E & S segment

Vice President (Former Employee)

ProsCompeitive salary. Hardworking staff with strong middle management. Attempts to be transparent. Decent work conditions. Relaxed dress code.

ConsSr. management leaves much to be desired. Promotions more politically motivated then by merit. Significant turnover accordingly. Values are more for show then reality. Little or no job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO and his direct reports need to get some lessons in management and people skills.

Accounts receivable

Accounts Receivable (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGood Benefits, good company, beautiful building

ConsManagement is not friendly, and look at you as if you don't know anything.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No regrets, but ...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome truly wonderful people work for Argo. Salary and benefits decent. Great picnics, potlucks and parties.

ConsMany positions were outsourced to India. Also, if you're over 50, don't bother applying. If your immediate superior isn't the greatest at currying favor with upper management, start looking for something else.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace more value on your employees; stop looking upon them as just a necessary evil.

Politics, Favoritism, & Bullying

(Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThe majority of the employees in the office are great to work with. Compensation and Benefits are very good. Wonderful office building and location.

ConsThe Executive Team is horrible, if you do not "click" with their group you are immediately the outcast. I was shocked to have heard racist remarks from the Executive team about the Indian and Middle Eastern Employees. They yell and scream at support staff which I find very unprofessional. The CEO uses the company vendor accounts for personal use all the time, talk about stealing from the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementArgo Group is going nowhere fast. If you would trust your employees and stop playing favorites I think you would have a better chance at success. Good Luck.

Horrible treatment of employees by India/China outsourcing of jobs and high turnover

Management (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsHealthcare Benefits, new offices, free health screenings and flu shots.

ConsAloof CEO and Executives that use the public company as a personal playground with lavish parties and trips to international luxury destinations. All the while expecting their employees to do more with less and shareholders to accept minimal stock value appreciation. This company exhibits what is wrong with corporate America by outsourcing skilled and talented claims, underwriting, IT and audit positions to India.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't put your personal bonus desires above treating employees fairly and stop the massive turnover by hiring VPs with compassion, fairness, and open minds to accepting others who may be different from themselves.

Good years in the insurance business

Underwriter (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsThey had a good b benefit package, my manager did not micromanage.

ConsThey pulled the trigger too quickly after implementing a strategy without allowing time for results

Advice to Senior Managementnon

the portland office is a toxic environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR

Prossome basic insurance experience. other than that, there's very little that is positive.

Consinept management; pay is far below industry standard; people who leave earn at least 20% more to start. poor communication on the part of management. there is rampant speculation as to what is going on in this office, and management does next to nothing about it.

Advice to Senior Managementmy advise, get rid of management. they're generally inept, from the top down, and couldn't care less about their employees. Pay your people the going rate. stop all the unnecessary travel. COMMUNICATE AND TREAT YOUR EMPLOYEES LIKE ADULTS.

Management in IT is horrible!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

Pros- Good benefits
    - Pay is OK
    - Nice coworkers

Cons- Terrible directors and C level IT folks
    - CEO has admitted he hates IT dept and does not support them
    - IT works almost every weekend
    - People quit and they don't re-hire

Advice to Senior ManagementStop spending money on jets and ipads and invest in IT people!

This ship is sinking

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsDecent benefits.
    Pay is industry standard.
    Good place to work if you need an quick job between looking for something better.

ConsManagement is clueless
    No incentive to improve
    Environment and Culture is very negative
    People are not valued. Only focus is on ROI and cutting expenses
    IT is a waste of space. Only interested in outsourcing jobs to other countries. All the real talent has left the building.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim the fat at the top. Your employees are not happy even if they smile and agree so maybe you should start listening to them.

Worked for Argo Group US? Contribute to the Community!