Argo Group US

Mark E. Watson III

4 star people, 2 star technology

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Argo Group US full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A terrific group of people, and plenty of advancement and educational opportunities.

Cons

Way behind technologically, support work outsourced. With more advanced technology, they wouldn't need to outsource support work. Total false economy.

Develop technology to automate policy issuance and other underwriting documentation, stop outsourcing. So much time is wasted doing the same tasks over and over, why not do them right the first time?

Not an employer of choice

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Argo Group US full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice location for San Antonio

Cons

Deceptive hiring practices, Top leadership gets the bonus payouts and it never trickles down

Take care of your employees.

Work Hard and it pays off!

I have been working at Argo Group US full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The employees at Argo Group and it's subsidiary companies are some of the best professionals in the specialty insurance space I have ever met. The offices continue to get upgraded. The systems are being upgraded to match our specialty-this is not easy, but we know it will be worth it.

Cons

We continue to experience the typical growing pains of a company our size, which can be tough-but it definitely pays off! We are a public company and an insurance company so there is a double whammy of compliance-this can be tough-but it will keep us from ending up like another AIG.

Keep up the training programs you are starting with managers and others. Please try and be more consistent with salary review processes-it will keep people here longer. .

In the last several years the entire culture changed for the worse, especially in the E & S segment

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at Argo Group US full-time

Pros

Compeitive salary. Hardworking staff with strong middle management. Attempts to be transparent. Decent work conditions. Relaxed dress code.

Cons

Sr. management leaves much to be desired. Promotions more politically motivated then by merit. Significant turnover accordingly. Values are more for show then reality. Little or no job security.

CEO and his direct reports need to get some lessons in management and people skills.

Accounts receivable

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Argo Group US full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Benefits, good company, beautiful building

Cons

Management is not friendly, and look at you as if you don't know anything.

No regrets, but ...

I worked at Argo Group US full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some truly wonderful people work for Argo. Salary and benefits decent. Great picnics, potlucks and parties.

Cons

Many positions were outsourced to India. Also, if you're over 50, don't bother applying. If your immediate superior isn't the greatest at currying favor with upper management, start looking for something else.

Place more value on your employees; stop looking upon them as just a necessary evil.

Politics, Favoritism, & Bullying

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Argo Group US full-time

Pros

The majority of the employees in the office are great to work with. Compensation and Benefits are very good. Wonderful office building and location.

Cons

The Executive Team is horrible, if you do not "click" with their group you are immediately the outcast. I was shocked to have heard racist remarks from the Executive team about the Indian and Middle Eastern Employees. They yell and scream at support staff which I find very unprofessional. The CEO uses the company vendor accounts for personal use all the time, talk about stealing from the company.

Argo Group is going nowhere fast. If you would trust your employees and stop playing favorites I think you would have a better chance at success. Good Luck.

Horrible treatment of employees by India/China outsourcing of jobs and high turnover

Former Employee - Management in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Management in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Argo Group US full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Healthcare Benefits, new offices, free health screenings and flu shots.

Cons

Aloof CEO and Executives that use the public company as a personal playground with lavish parties and trips to international luxury destinations. All the while expecting their employees to do more with less and shareholders to accept minimal stock value appreciation. This company exhibits what is wrong with corporate America by outsourcing skilled and talented claims, underwriting, IT and audit positions to India.

Don't put your personal bonus desires above treating employees fairly and stop the massive turnover by hiring VPs with compassion, fairness, and open minds to accepting others who may be different from themselves.

Good years in the insurance business

Current Employee - Underwriter in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Argo Group US full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They had a good b benefit package, my manager did not micromanage.

Cons

They pulled the trigger too quickly after implementing a strategy without allowing time for results

non

the portland office is a toxic environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Argo Group US full-time

Pros

some basic insurance experience. other than that, there's very little that is positive.

Cons

inept management; pay is far below industry standard; people who leave earn at least 20% more to start. poor communication on the part of management. there is rampant speculation as to what is going on in this office, and management does next to nothing about it.

my advise, get rid of management. they're generally inept, from the top down, and couldn't care less about their employees. Pay your people the going rate. stop all the unnecessary travel. COMMUNICATE AND TREAT YOUR EMPLOYEES LIKE ADULTS.