Argo Tea

Updated February 17, 2015
Updated February 17, 2015
2.3

Arsen Avakian

Pros
  • Nice benefits of 30 free drinks/month at any argo (in 14 reviews)

• 30 free drinks per month is an awesome perk (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management cant get it together (in 8 reviews)

• The insanely high turnover certainly doesn't help (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoyed working with most of the staff

Former Employee - Barista in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Barista in New York, NY

I worked at Argo Tea full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The family-like quality, the customers...

Cons

Some of the management, lack of communication, and underhanded behavior.

I'm sure the Founders wouldn't be pleased at your behavior.

Fun company

Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Argo Tea full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun time promotes balance in work and life

Cons

At times management was unorganized company has high turnover and can make you feel like an outsider

sells the dream - but gives a NIGHTMARE !

I worked at Argo Tea

Pros

.... Good products , good food . ... As I look over reviews from others its so funny everyone rates this company badly !! Wonder why ..... Allow me to shine some light , hopefully it helps you . As I look over the things to rate on glassdoor of Argo tea like career opportunities , CULTURE AND VALUES - i just laugh because. ARGO TEA have career opportunities and talk about culture and values BUT DO NOT USE THEM ! OR EXERCISE IT ! Things on paper and that's it . No effect .

Cons

Over worked . Unappreciated . No understanding of the nyc market . No integrity . CEO has no respect, consideration or communication skills . His nyc stores have no managment that last for the simple reason of not allowing them to do the job they are hired to do ! Nyc is its own beast . Making any argo tea become a success will take time because of the terrible state it is in ! But the CEO doesn't seem to comprehend that. He wants rapid results with no resources to get it there !!! Extremely high managment turnover for NO reason !! - no develpement resources , no DM interaction - can't express enough the. LACK OF INTEGRITY !!!

Understand that, as you hire new store leadership for stores that have not had been fully staffed with leadership for months that THERE IS A PROCESS IN GETTING THINGS IN ORDER. And you as the CEO and upper leadership HAVE to handle it with support and care to get things to the standard you "say" you have. And allow those hired to do the job ! Change and greatness will not happen in 1-3 months ! Especially with the terrible state your stores were in . The stores don't need you coming in and pointing out the bad things , we ALL see it , know it, and are IN IT DAILY. All that does it create a. NEGETIVE WORK ENVIRONMENT . Of course if the place is bad your employees are not just going to leave it like that !!, but in the short staffed and lack of support environment you have , things WILL NOT be the best they can be , but that's when YOU SEND SUPPORT , your DM or " experienced Chicago GM " to the NYC stores to help staff up stores fix things . MOST IMPORTANT , you need SABILITY in your managment , meaning separating leadership without ANY CORRECTIVE ACTIONS , NO DEVELOMENT PLANS , NO IDP , PIP, coaching and support within every 3-4 months should PROBABLY STOP. .... Hopefully this company will open its eyes and get things together , but the way it sounds from current employees ITS NOT. Arson , your company has potential , great products , but YOU are the main reason it has is a terrible work environment for its employees .

The most entrepreneurial company I have ever worked for!

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Argo Tea full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A company that brings out the fighter and entrepreneur in everyone that wants to build a great place to work

Cons

none that I have encountered as of yet!

If you consider yourself someone that wants to go to work and go home, this isn't the place for you. If you want to build, create, market an up and coming business...this is the place to be!

Worst Company to Work For...EVER

I worked at Argo Tea full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free Tea and Coffee

Cons

Abusive CEO, Poor Culture, High Turnover at all levels

The CEO, who is a founder by the way, will be the reason this company does not survive. He is condescending, arrogant, harasses staff at all levels, and does not allow people to do their jobs. It is a shame because there are alot of talented people who joined the organization that simply could not take the abuse of the CEO- it is not normal that Senior Executives come and leave within months- talented, accredited professionals at that. If the CEO would look deep within himself and start realizing he needs work, the company would have a shot--leadership starts from the top down and needs to set a positive example. Without that, the business model simply will not work.

A terrible place to work

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Argo Tea (more than a year)

Pros

- Some good co-workers and employees.
    - Decent benefits for those who are eligible.

Cons

- Overworked employees at the store level.
    - The company does not appreciate nor value its employees.
    - When the word "enterprenaurial" is used, it simply means that the upper management who regulates the company's operation and policies does not know what they are doing. Those operational practices and policies change constantly -- not in the moving forward kind of manner but rather back and forth. It creates frustration and confusion to all employees.
    - Most employees, including store managers are underpaid for their work and experience they put in.
    - The company will find any opportunity to not pay over-time pay even during the holiday season.
    - Extremely high turn-over rate up to the executive level.
    - The company's atmosphere and culture are filled with negativity all of the time.

The only advice I can say to the upper management is that stop writing your own review on this website. It sounds like either the CEO wrote it himself or he ordered someone to write it.
    It's pathetic.

It was ok

I worked at Argo Tea

Pros

Tea is good. The coworkers were decent.

Cons

Tips were minuscule. Everyone under the manager violated company rules (including basic cash register precautions).

Loved

I have been working at Argo Tea

Pros

Free drinks
    20% off food

Cons

FAVORITISM
    Superivor plays the favoritism games.

Stop hiring a hole management

This company could be the root of all evil

I worked at Argo Tea full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only reason I stayed as long as I did was because i loved my coworkers.

Cons

Upper management does not listen and does not treat its employees well. Everyone on the store level works insanely hard to try and keep the store together. They work with broken equipment, long rushes, pushing underdeveloped and flaw store polices (the argo app), working early mornings (5am) and late nights (midnight). If you let them push you around they will work you into the ground and if you happen to make one mistake or if the dm just doesn't like you, your hours will be cut until you are forced to quit just to continue living (if they say they don't fire anyone, this is why). Lower level employees are talked down to which foster a huge level of resentment. DO NOT WORK HERE.

Scale back and focus on ACTUAL quality.

Amazed!

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Argo Tea

Pros

Met some good people.

Cons

I'm amazed I have been gone for over a year and the same problems that I left for a still at larger!

Close down already... You torture people! Also seeing your overly sugary drinks in stores makes me want to vomit.