Argonne National Laboratory Reviews

Reset

1. Engineer Student

Current Employee - Mail Clerk in Robbins, IL
    Current Employee - Mail Clerk in Robbins, IL

I have been working at Argonne National Laboratory (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice Enviroment to work, good opportunity!!!!!!

Cons

Wish I could get hired full time !!!!!!

Advice to Management

Need more Maintenance Mechanic Trainees

2. Very disappointing experience with Unix team.

Former Employee - Distributed Systems Administrator in Lemont, IL
    Former Employee - Distributed Systems Administrator in Lemont, IL

I worked at Argonne National Laboratory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The salary was good. The campus is really nice. The Technology they have is good for the most part.

Cons

I would not recommend working for this company. Management is controlling and favors people who have worked there several years. The team will make you feel like you are wrong and devalue your opinions. Poor direction for projects. Stay strong if you are already in the role and move on. They are very behind in quality workplace culture.

Advice to Management

Monitor and look closley at what Team Leads are doing with there team mates

3. Overall, a decent place to work

Current Employee - Scientific Associate in Lemont, IL
    Current Employee - Scientific Associate in Lemont, IL

Pros

I worked with a great group of scientists. The atmosphere was very academic, and there were many interesting problems to work on. Benefits are excellent. It makes it very difficult to want to leave once you work here.

Cons

Argonne relies of funding. When the federal government shutdown, Argonne didn't have a budget which resulted in a lot of layoffs. Linda Young is the director of the X-ray Science Division (XSD). She will make your life hell if you get on her bad side. If you are planning on interviewing for a position in the XSD, you need to impress her. She made it very difficult for me to get a job at Argonne, regardless of how well I interviewed and how much the interviewing group(s) wanted to hire me. The (third) group I interviewed with went out on a limb, and did something very bold in order to bring me on board. I'm grateful for it. There is almost no career growth/progression without a PhD. There are opportunities for interesting work and *some* movement, but you have to take initiative to make things happen and for new responsibilities. Stagnation appeared to be a common trait for those without PhD's.

5. Asst. Computatioanl Biologist

I have been working at Argonne National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Pay is great as are benefits

Cons

administrate hierarchy, political bs, overhead

Advice to Management

what they don;t know (most things), they will never learn

6. Graduate research assistant

Pros

Good environment... nice people... very good experience

Cons

Very Slow process... too much walking between buildings!

7. Good Intern Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Lemont, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Lemont, IL

I worked at Argonne National Laboratory (Less than a year)

Pros

The intern program was very well structured. While sometimes I felt like I did not have the most work to do, my mentor was helpful and kept me engaged in the project. I lived in the housing at the lab, which was comfortable.

Cons

The location is very remote, not much to do immediately nearby the lab campus. However, Chicago is not too far!

No Future?

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, and a relaxing place to work if you aren't too ambitious or committed to quality work, and aren't bothered by low-key but unbelievably stupid and inept managers/supervisors. Good place to be a post-doc, but don't stay very long!

Cons

Lacks a mission, identity, vision, values, leadership, and energy. The Illinois congressional delegation is indifferent or hostile to the Laboratory, which will not help its future. While some good science and engineering is still done here, it is on a sharp decline. The Laboratory is now mostly a very expensive and bureaucracy-ladened "Beltway Bandit", mostly providing (sometimes silly) support services to the federal government at exorbitant prices. With a long history of being appalling badly managed at all levels (even for a quasi-government institution), the Laboratory shows no apparent ability to proactively counter the ongoing death spiral, or to deal with its outrageous cost of doing business Not very female-friendly despite some things that superficially look positive.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't even bother to waste my breath.

9. Postdoctoral Appointee

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Appointee
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Appointee

I have been working at Argonne National Laboratory (More than a year)

Pros

Argonne has the most advance characterization techniques which make research exciting and collaborations are encouraged.

Cons

Like other labs being funded by the US DOE, there is not security in funding. There are also other sources of funding but it can be competitive.

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Engineer in Lemont, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Lemont, IL

I have been working at Argonne National Laboratory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is good, Vacation for older staff is great. Cool toys and interesting projects. Good work life balance.

Cons

Safety runs the place. The WPC system is a mess. They think filling out complex forms makes one safe. It does not. In fact, it hinders safety.. Is there a problem? Make a new safety class! Vacation cut back for younger staff. Management does not listen as far as how to spend capital. Promotions seem political. Not enough opportunities for women.

Advice to Management

Get out of the office and meetings and get back in the lab and learn what the staff have to put up with.

11. PhD-level research scientist

I have been working at Argonne National Laboratory full-time

Pros

Highly collaborative Unique, exciting research environment Good compensation compared to academia Super-smart, motivated colleagues Opportunities for health and wellness via many clubs and groups - running club, gardening club, craft club, etc.

Cons

Sky-high overhead rates makes funding difficult to secure Older infrastructure needs updating Strategy is not communicated well to employees who must develop and implement it

RSS Feed </> Embed