Argos

Argos CEO John C. Walden

John C. Walden

A Roller coaster ride.

Llandudno, Wales (UK)

ProsFantastic store manager, SOME top of the line members of staff who really know their stuff and would be lost without.

ConsTo counter: Customer service manager doesn't understand team dynamics, accounts manager only works for himself and most of the staff are lazy and do nothing but complain 24/7

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more careful with staff intake, Pay more attention to where employee strengths lie and play to them to get the best results. Stop throwing staff at jobs they aren't suited for and aren't comfortable with for the sake of having "everyone doing everything". Life doesn't work that way.

Argos tries to make people into robots at the lower lever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey are moving forward in an attempt to compete with Amazon but are still a ways behind. If they can digitalise their business then the business will improve drastically

ConsAt the lower level they offer terrible working contracts that result in people working low weekly hours. Delivery shift workers have it the worst.

Rapidly growing company with aggressive plan.

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Birmingham, AL

ProsSeem to care about employees. Parent company taking a gamble on US economy with recent acquisitions.

ConsCommunication is cloudy ay best. Lots of ad hoc assignments and long term palnning isn't communicated downstream.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good starter job

ProsFlexibility in hours, Argos is constantly adapting for the future, good store culture and ethos in store, learn great sales skills, if management is for you there are always opportunities available, although job can be basic the customers mean that everyday is different and it is not tedious or repetitive, the only way this happens is if you insist on only staying on one department however there is always jobs to do in various departments; stock, tills/sales and jewellery. If you go the extra mile management usually acknowledge this.

ConsRota changes from week to week meaning difficult to plan life around Argos unless have an agreement with management regarding availability. Minimum wage and basic hours which depends on how much the store sells. Bonus is only given if the store meets difficult targets, if one person lets the team down everybody suffers. Experiences working varies from store to store, depends on managers attitude if laid back and can have a laugh of some can be strict and frown upon a laid back attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementBonus structure is unfair

Great colleagues, rarely bored, bad pay

Customer Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsStaff discount is fair, vast majority of colleagues on all levels are great to work with, easy to fit things that can only be done in office hours in your personal life, training is ok, shift managers at my store usually try to be accommodating when you need certain days off, the job keeps you fit, the role improves your communication skills as you always have to interact with public.

ConsStores are very target driven which are often set to impossibly high standards, very understaffed on the shop floor - you are often expected to do a till and pick although this is near on impossible unless it is very quiet, you will never get a full time position (35 hours a week or more) unless you are some kind of manager or have a lot of responsibility. The salary is very low considering how much you need to learn, Argos expect you to be fully flex and plan your life around a part-time barely over min wage job, and don't care about any commitments you have. outside of work (duty managers do their best to accommodate you, though). Senior management think voice pick is amazing but was obviously designed by someone who has never worked on the shop floor at Argos - customers are heavily delayed because of this and it is extremely embarrassing for us. God help everyone at Christmas. Customers are delayed when staff are starting and finishing shifts as it takes ages to log off the headset (which often makes me late) and the person starting has to log on, especially when only one member of staff is picking. When you are rota'd to do a late shift you only get paid until your official finish time even though you are expected to help close down the store and assist with the changeover for nothing - this can be 15 minutes to an hour after you officially finish. Not on at all, as it brings our already low wage even lower.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee the flaws of voice pick and address them or get rid before the Christmas rush, pay your shop floor staff a decent wage considering all we have to do, stop being tight by having minimum staff on duty - example - what do you do when there's only 3 staff on the the shop floor (if we're lucky) - one picking, one serving on a till, one on customer services and manager dealing with a complaint - the customer waiting to be served on jewellery will get bored and leave. Pay us until the time we actually finish if we're on the close, allow fixed days/hours for your staff if that's what they want and they are good employees (otherwise don't moan when you lose them). It's funny how you can manage to find money for adverts with stupid aliens but don't have enough cash to employ a reasonable number of staff or pay us to the time we actually work until.

Buyer

Buyer (Current Employee)
    Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Pros-Training -Responsibility -People -Diversity within role

Cons-Competitive environment
    -Required to merchandise range, inc promotional planning, Trading etc

Great place to work

ProsGreat training, great flexibility and great colleagues.

ConsSalary low for amount of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries.

Abusive company which treats staff poorly.

Customer Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsStaff discount is fair and it is easy to get a foot in the door during Christmas peak.

ConsContracted hours are kept to a minimum but you are expected to be fully flexible for whenever they need you. Flexibility does not work both ways, and despite basic hour contracts they will not support you in working a second job or allow you to have a say on days off and how many hours you work. Regularly forced to work more than 7 consecutive days without a day off, but on short daily shifts so the pay is poor for the commitment offered.

Rota's usually only finished on Saturday for the week starting the next day! But often changes throughout the week without consultation.

No respect offered to employees by management, lots of workplace bullying coming from management or friends of management which is ignored when reported. Management intentionally rota employees to departments they don't like as punishment for not taking additional hours at short notice.

New voice system does not work well and heavily delays customers, with an average waiting time on the receipt of upto 14 minutes the speed of service is an embarrassment.

Management are not tech savvy and are actually a hindrance to the adoption of the new digital transformation, need replacing with younger managers.

I am a good employee, I exceed targets and take on additional responsibilities unpaid in my own time, and never get as much as a thanks. When raising issues with contracted hours being unreliable and causing financial difficulty, I am told 'where the door is' and that I should be greatful to even have a job. Even customers overhear the way management treat staff on the shop floor and are disgusted by it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop bullying employees, show them respect and stop taking advantage!

Upsetting, frustrating and unrewarding

Customer Advisor (Former Employee)
    Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)

ProsGood staff discount, flexible hours, easy job.

ConsManagement didn't recognise good customer service and was completely obsessed with profit making. Voice picking system only caused trouble. I was put on stock pick all of the time because I was a new staff member, causing too many people to be picking at once, so I barely got anything to pick at all, causing me to have to desperately try and find something to do so I didn't look lazy. In the end there was absolutely nothing, despite something being one/two people on tills and an incredibly large queue.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward staff for good service, it's the reason customers will return! Don't push staff members too far to sell care and hit targets. Also, advise members of management not to shame people for not selling as much insurance/cards as other(at my branch your name was put in RED on the briefing board if you didn't sell any and in GREEN if you did, this was humiliating for staff members who's skills lay outside of forcing customers to buy things they weren't interested in).

Customer Service Advisor

Customer Advisor (Former Employee)
    Halifax, England (UK)

ProsOnce you know how to do everything it's easy. Mixed work with warehouse/till/shop floor work can make day go quicker. Over xmas there is a buzz around the store as the shop gets busy and everyone pulls together to help.

ConsPoor pay if you're not doing it as a part time as you're studying, irregular hours, little chance of progression. Too much emphasis on targets!

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a clear plan for those looking to advance their careers at Argos, I have seen Argos lose many able staff over the years because of poor career progression

Worked for Argos? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Argos reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Argos CEO John C. Walden. All 47 reviews posted anonymously by Argos employees.