Argos Reviews

Updated October 24, 2014
3.1

Argos CEO John C. Walden
John C. Walden

Pros
  • Staff discount is fair and it is easy to get a foot in the door during Christmas peak (in 8 reviews)

• The Argos discount is 10% and 20% at Homebase (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Working in a part-time role, I was not fully satisfied with the amount of hours I was given (in 6 reviews)

• Theres no room for development after three years of consistent hard work (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Really Enjoyable

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Argos part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

While studying, working part time at Argos was perfect for me. I felt the mangers in the stores I worked in were incredibly accommodating when it came to requesting time off for other commitments but also in providing more hours when I needed to earn some extra money.

The staff I worked with were also great. There was a mix of young and old but there was always a culture of 'we're all in this together' and I never felt like I was segregated from one group or person. Moreover, when the store became busy as it regularly did, there was always a sense that everyone was prepared to help everyone else; for example if there was a build up of customer waiting on the tills, a member of staff would jump on there to help off their own initiative without having to be told by a manager.

There also seems to be a real drive to promote from within and I have seen many of my past team mates move onto higher positions.

Cons

With some of my other workers, I saw that some of the challenges for them is that they could sometimes get shoehorned into a certain department, like jewelry or the stockroom for example and never have the opportunity to do a bit of job rotation. This meant that for some staff work could be quite boring. For me the way to overcome this was to simply ask managers or team leader if I could rotate to a different role, a request that always seemed to be granted.

For me the training needs to be updated a little. When I was there we were made to watch videos etc and they seemed a little out of date.

Argos tries to make people into robots at the lower lever

I worked at Argos

Pros

They are moving forward in an attempt to compete with Amazon but are still a ways behind. If they can digitalise their business then the business will improve drastically

Cons

At the lower level they offer terrible working contracts that result in people working low weekly hours. Delivery shift workers have it the worst.

Rapidly growing company with aggressive plan.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Argos full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Seem to care about employees. Parent company taking a gamble on US economy with recent acquisitions.

Cons

Communication is cloudy ay best. Lots of ad hoc assignments and long term palnning isn't communicated downstream.

Always something new around corner...

Current Employee - Store Manager -Designate in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Store Manager -Designate in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Argos full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Business forward thinking and is transforming to be a great digital leader. Plenty of opportunities to develop- management with clear focus on development and succession planning.

Cons

None really- many people who work for Argos have done so for ten years plus! There are easier ways to earn more money but the ethos and challenges of working for argos are fulfilling

Clearer plans. Have a plan b when things go wrong

Pleasant place

Current Employee - Customer Advisor
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor

I have been working at Argos part-time

Pros

I am able to switch round so that i change round and not do the same job all day

Cons

Due to the large catalog it can be difficult to have good product knowledge but you will obviously have the catalog to refer to if need be.

Shockingly bad

Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Argos part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I can't even think of anything positive.

Cons

No prior training at all, thrown on the job at Christmas time when there are more than double the amount of customers, poor management, no health and safety policies, left to work alone in a vast stock room which should have two people minimum, no loyalty to employees. Work anywhere else but Argos.

Employ Christmas staff in time to give them enough time to get used to the job, have enough employees on to cope with customer demand, respect your employees

Worst place ive ever worked

Current Employee - Stock Assistant
    Current Employee - Stock Assistant

I have been working at Argos as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Staff discount is handy, homebase give double discount

Cons

Pay almost always wrong( never more than u should have had, if it was a mistake then sometimes it would be over just by law of averages), may varie store to store
    Low hour contracts, meaning low pay on holidays, sick etc
    Need to be available 24/7
    No time and half for weekends / out of hours
    Health and safety is a joke ( u are given training but theres never enough staff to adhere to the rules)
    Treated like "little people" by management( ive actually heard them refer to us as such)
    Pay is not proportionate to what u do
    Promotion given to management "freinds"
    Hard work on deliveries which have target times u need to match
    Delivery staff expected to do everything while frontof house are standing around chatting
    Dont like u having a break even when u are due one
    Bonuses only for management when the lower level staff do all the work
    Duties ever increasing for stock assistants
    Yearly reveiw which basically consists of them asking u what Else u can do for them
    Constant rule changes
    Searched on the way out which while may be neccassary is often done infront of customers which is degrading and insulting
    If u challenge anything u are considered a trouble maker and management will lower your hours as "punishment "
    Far too much "management"
    New headsets are extremely frustrating but management wont accept they dont work properly
    Errors blamed on individuals when clearly the headsets are to blame
    Head office waste huge amounts of money on ill concieved ideas( rebranding, initiatives etc) but squeeze the staff for every penny
    Having a beard is frowned upon?
    Unrealistic targets at front of house making u pressure customers into buying extras
    Extremely profit orientated company
    Manager never says "thanks/ well done etc

Look after your lower staff, they are the ones making all your profit NOT management

Possibly the worst place to work

I worked at Argos part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Staff are nice and theres a team atmosphere even if management don't necessarily help.

Cons

Pay is very low.. Just above minimum.
    Hours are terrible nowadays.
    Most people are on 3 or 5 hour contracts yet those hours can be spread over a few days. No breaks and very little overtime.
    Also the company does not provide sick pay yet it advertises the fact it does which is a lie.
    Always new tasks added to the job yet the pay never increases and you're expected to do training in your own time.
    Expected to be available 24/7. Can be very difficult to get a second job as Management can say no.

Recognise hard work and people who take the time to help people more. Stop setting unrealistic targets and recognize people have lives outside the company

Lot's of work, good to be active and positive as you will have to make the right decisions quickly

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Guildford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Guildford, England (UK)

I worked at Argos part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The training is only for two days at most and you will be trained for several areas whereas you'll be likely to only work in a couple of them. Flexible hours, regular communication with senior staff. Loads of opportunities to be social.

Cons

The work can become repetitive after a while and it might take a while to move up to the higher positions in the company.

Employees effectively bullied by employers.

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Ormskirk, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Ormskirk, England (UK)

I have been working at Argos part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For me the pros are simply that it's unlikely that Argos will close in the near future and so at the end of the month a wage is guaranteed.

Cons

3 hour shifts tend to be what the majority of the staff get given at Argos, take this on board with people having to travel and they are getting much money from their shifts. The staff will be given 4, 5 or 6 hour shifts when other staff members are on holiday and the managers have no option to put the staff on longer shifts. Breaks are also saved on only getting 3 hour shifts too. The contracts tend to be 10 hours for non-weekend staff who get 4 hour contracts and so when you want time off work you are not getting much pay at all. The mystery shopper gets filmed and yet nobody I work with recalls ever signing anything to agree to this. The majority of the staff are simply not appreciated and with it being difficult for people to find a job these days they have no option but to stay at Argos and effectively get bullied by employers.

Everyone should be equal, every member of staff should be treated with respect and not have to face the "If you don't like it you know where the door is" attitude. The staff are expected to be "team players" when it comes to getting insurances and Argos cards for the company but yet they are not treated with respect in any aspect of the job.