Argosy University Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.4
Craig Swenson

Pros
  • Good pay, Incentives, Good team (in 3 reviews)

• Great people and everyone is always helpful (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • A person doesn't move up from a local campus level (in 4 reviews)

• Full-time faculty very demeaning and unwilling to associate with adjuncts (in 3 reviews)

Sinking ship.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Eagan, MN

I worked at Argosy University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had amazing co workers.

Cons

The company is crumbling. I witnessed three lay offs in one year. There was no room for advancement. Huge turnover. The departments cannot co-exist and function in a cohesive way. Everything is purely numbers based, which is not the way education should be.

Advice to Management

Start over.

Some ups but mostly downs

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Argosy University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits were good after the standard 90 days
    Decent job for the 20-something looking for a cheap education

Cons

No 401K match
    No flex-time
    Weak leads (admissions)
    "Free" education is taxed
    Too many reps calling from the same pool of candidates
    Company is financially unstable
    No advancement opportunities

Advice to Management

Job is ridiculously boring when you are calling the same 100 people 3 times/day. How many times can you hear the words "I'm not interested" or be hung-up on before you really start to look at your lead sources? Corporate or regional admissions management all come from a time when the education industry was growing either due to the recession or a strong economy. Now those people who were successful "picking the low hanging fruit" are trying to tell me that I am not doing my job correctly because I'm not hitting the numbers. How about all admissions personnel from the Sr. V.P. on down to the Sr. DOA get on the phone for one week per quarter and post their numbers for all to see? Let them experience the same challenges and explain how they overcome them. I'm willing to bet my two-week paycheck they won't even come close to hitting the goals they pressure us to achieve.

3. Top heavy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Argosy University full-time

Pros

Great people in the company at a ground level. Students and Health Science programs are very good.

Cons

Very top heavy company. Focusing on getting students to only take online courses, when students are adamantly against this. Only look at the money side of things, not the students.

5. Its a job to play the bills.

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Eagan, MN

I worked at Argosy University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There really isnt anything thats a pro

Cons

poor management, what have you dont for me lately attitude, over the shoulder management

6. Dissappointing

Former Employee - Non Teaching, Administration Position in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Non Teaching, Administration Position in Eagan, MN

I worked at Argosy University

Pros

Not many - the hours were easy with no pressure to work weekends, be in early or stay late. Easy going that way. Some nice people.

Cons

Highly unorganizied and inefficient. Horrible communication. Awful payroll practices at the campus level - borderline incompetent. EDMC regional and corporate in Pittsburg, which manages/controls critical details, clearly does not value employees in any way - noncompetive pay, poor and expensive beneifts, horrific benefits communication, little to no management training, nonexistant communication. Constant change of policy and procedure in an organization that is driven by policy and procedure.
    I had an employment experience that was unethical and just not the right way to treat anyone. A series of incompetent leadership decisions. No communication or true leadership, possible outright deception and misleading discussions early in the employment relationship. I can't tell you that this was wide spread, but it did come from the highest position on campus and involved EDMC leadership.

Advice to Management

You've got to come to a better balance of local campus control vs. corporate control. One size does not fit all in your ed systems. Employee friendly systems need to be put in place, especially in your new hire process. Be honest with your employees at all times - no games, as it is likely not a game to your employee. Your noncompetitive pay will eventualy catch up to you once the economy improves, because the other things you offer aren't that great to retain people.

RSS Feed </> Embed