Argosy University Reviews

Updated April 16, 2015
66 reviews filtered by
2.7
Craig Swenson

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits as compared to other schools (in 3 reviews)

• Great people and everyone is always helpful (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Awful payroll practices at the campus level - borderline incompetent (in 4 reviews)

• Constant change of policy and procedure (in 3 reviews)

1. High Pressure Sales

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Argosy University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The air conditioning worked well. There were benefits. And coffee. Sometimes people brought snacks. Not a lot I liked about this place, honeslty.

Cons

Pressured to sign people up for classes who are unlikely to succeed. Phones were on auto-dial. Graudation rate was very low, and yet sales pressure very high. I felt like I was making the world a worse place.

Advice to Management

Stop taking advantage of students. Invest more in better instructors and curriculum and spend less on marketing. Lower the price of tuition so students aren't going hopelessly in debt for a useless degree.

2. Admissions Representative

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Argosy University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing Bennefits as well as amazing co-workers. Yep- that's pretty much it.

Cons

telemarketing job. Managers are always on a power trip. Everything but an admissions representative, sales job (selling school). Repeatedly calling individuals who told another AR to put them on the do not call list. Almost all of the people you talk to just want job so they can pay bills, NOT take out student loans they will never be able to pay back. The practicality of half of the students getting a degree is horrible. I'm not sure how this "institution" is accreted. Classes are so simple and such a joke.

Advice to Management

Assist AR's a lot more. Get off your power trips. Upper management should do an observation of lower management and see how unpraductive they are. Micromanagement at its finest.

Some ups but mostly downs

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Argosy University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits were good after the standard 90 days
    Decent job for the 20-something looking for a cheap education

Cons

No 401K match
    No flex-time
    Weak leads (admissions)
    "Free" education is taxed
    Too many reps calling from the same pool of candidates
    Company is financially unstable
    No advancement opportunities

Advice to Management

Job is ridiculously boring when you are calling the same 100 people 3 times/day. How many times can you hear the words "I'm not interested" or be hung-up on before you really start to look at your lead sources? Corporate or regional admissions management all come from a time when the education industry was growing either due to the recession or a strong economy. Now those people who were successful "picking the low hanging fruit" are trying to tell me that I am not doing my job correctly because I'm not hitting the numbers. How about all admissions personnel from the Sr. V.P. on down to the Sr. DOA get on the phone for one week per quarter and post their numbers for all to see? Let them experience the same challenges and explain how they overcome them. I'm willing to bet my two-week paycheck they won't even come close to hitting the goals they pressure us to achieve.

5. In one sentence, umm...I was VERY disappointed at this university, as a student and an employee.

Former Employee - Student Services in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Student Services in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Argosy University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The students. There is really nothing else to say about it. I had a horrible experience.

Cons

The employees. Terrible place to work and go to school.

Advice to Management

Shape up!

Horrible Company

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Argosy University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, regulated office temperature.

Cons

This place is a sweatshop. Your phone is on autodial all day while managers listen to your calls to make sure you don't go off script. The school is not a credible university. The graduation rate is very low and the student debt load is very high. High pressure sales environment masquerading as admission counseling.

Advice to Management

Business model is predatory and needs a complete overhaul.

Awful company- toxic environment

Former Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Argosy University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pay for school (tuition- not fees)

Cons

The company doesn't support growth and keeps the employees in the dark about everything. The rules are changed every day on how to recruit students. There is no appreciation and it has just become a toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Focus on the employees more and don't keep them in the dark. Constant focus on pleasing the people above instead of below doesn't help the company be successful.

The most unorganized environment I have ever worked in

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Argosy University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The front line associates. The staff I worked with was great.

Cons

Zero communication from EDMC to the local campuses. EDMC runs the show, we had no say at a local level. NO MARKETING!!! HORRID LEADERSHIP!

Advice to Management

Try to at least communicate

Brainless, not challenging work, toxic environment

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Chicago, IL

I worked at Argosy University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Argosy pays for your schooling

Cons

not challenging, no career path, no focus on employees, long hours

Advice to Management

treat your employees like humans

The entire time I was there, it was frustrating and awful.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Argosy University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have a decent salary and benefits. They also really took the time to train you on most of the job requirements. Also, the Sarasota campus did occasional events and potlucks. And when I left, the admissions team was great. My coworkers really supported each other and worked to help each other out. Most importantly, there was no "cutthroat" atmosphere in admissions...it was frowned upon to "steal" students from another admissions rep. This made it a much more collaborative environment.

Cons

There are plenty. I had a few major frustrations. One being the challenge of getting students. You never technically do any cold calling, but there are so many leads that are provided that were mistakenly made. The database of leads was ridiculous. They were having us call leads that were 5 years old (yes, you read that right). That's how bad the business was. There was such a lack of new leads that we were having to go that far back. And of course, it would be your funeral if you tried to bring up the fact that the leads were crap. You'd be spoonfed a statement like "there's no such thing as a bad lead." Absolute garbage. The other major frustration I had was the restructuring of the company. They changed the management of regions and we had a new regional manager type (I forget the actual title), who was in charge of a few of the Argosy locations. This person was awful. They used intimidation and they had absolutely no people skills at all. This person didn't like the approach of one of the admissions reps, so they sat at the AR's desk for hours one day. They also talked down to others, which was not ok. My other issue was with the employee review process. There are several competencies, like professionalism, product knowledge, student focus, and a few others. Now say that you don't hit your expected numbers. They will start to change your different competencies from "exceeds" or "meets expectations" to "below expectations." It's frustrating to be completely professional at all times and representing the company well, but as soon as you're not hitting your numbers, they might say "well, if you're not getting students, then you must not be professional." But since they can't actually fire you for not hitting your numbers, then this is how they have to do it I suppose. Ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Stop using fear tactics to manage others, and treat them with respect. Also, the whole slideshow presentation given to students is not working.

11. At least i got some experience (Finance Counselor)

Former Employee - Finance in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Finance in Dallas, TX

I worked at Argosy University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great People to work with
    -Some great managers
    -Helping students

Cons

-No advancement
    -Boys Club (Worked at UoP a MUST to be promoted)
    -No pay increase
    -Lowest paid Finance Counselors in the industry

Advice to Management

Try to think outside the box. For the employees,