Argosy University

Not yet rated.

Craig Swenson

Horrible Company

Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsFree coffee, regulated office temperature.

ConsThis place is a sweatshop. Your phone is on autodial all day while managers listen to your calls to make sure you don't go off script. The school is not a credible university. The graduation rate is very low and the student debt load is very high. High pressure sales environment masquerading as admission counseling.

Advice to Senior ManagementBusiness model is predatory and needs a complete overhaul.

Awful company- toxic environment

Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prospay for school (tuition- not fees)

ConsThe company doesn't support growth and keeps the employees in the dark about everything. The rules are changed every day on how to recruit students. There is no appreciation and it has just become a toxic environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the employees more and don't keep them in the dark. Constant focus on pleasing the people above instead of below doesn't help the company be successful.

The most unorganized environment I have ever worked in

Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsThe front line associates. The staff I worked with was great.

ConsZero communication from EDMC to the local campuses. EDMC runs the show, we had no say at a local level. NO MARKETING!!! HORRID LEADERSHIP!

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to at least communicate

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Brainless, not challenging work, toxic environment

Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsArgosy pays for your schooling

Consnot challenging, no career path, no focus on employees, long hours

Advice to Senior Managementtreat your employees like humans

The entire time I was there, it was frustrating and awful.

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Sarasota, FL

ProsThey have a decent salary and benefits. They also really took the time to train you on most of the job requirements. Also, the Sarasota campus did occasional events and potlucks. And when I left, the admissions team was great. My coworkers really supported each other and worked to help each other out. Most importantly, there was no "cutthroat" atmosphere in admissions...it was frowned upon to "steal" students from another admissions rep. This made it a much more collaborative environment.

ConsThere are plenty. I had a few major frustrations. One being the challenge of getting students. You never technically do any cold calling, but there are so many leads that are provided that were mistakenly made. The database of leads was ridiculous. They were having us call leads that were 5 years old (yes, you read that right). That's how bad the business was. There was such a lack of new leads that we were having to go that far back. And of course, it would be your funeral if you tried to bring up the fact that the leads were crap. You'd be spoonfed a statement like "there's no such thing as a bad lead." Absolute garbage. The other major frustration I had was the restructuring of the company. They changed the management of regions and we had a new regional manager type (I forget the actual title), who was in charge of a few of the Argosy locations. This person was awful. They used intimidation and they had absolutely no people skills at all. This person didn't like the approach of one of the admissions reps, so they sat at the AR's desk for hours one day. They also talked down to others, which was not ok. My other issue was with the employee review process. There are several competencies, like professionalism, product knowledge, student focus, and a few others. Now say that you don't hit your expected numbers. They will start to change your different competencies from "exceeds" or "meets expectations" to "below expectations." It's frustrating to be completely professional at all times and representing the company well, but as soon as you're not hitting your numbers, they might say "well, if you're not getting students, then you must not be professional." But since they can't actually fire you for not hitting your numbers, then this is how they have to do it I suppose. Ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop using fear tactics to manage others, and treat them with respect. Also, the whole slideshow presentation given to students is not working.

At least i got some experience (Finance Counselor)

Finance (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

Pros-Great People to work with
    -Some great managers
    -Helping students

Cons-No advancement
    -Boys Club (Worked at UoP a MUST to be promoted)
    -No pay increase
    -Lowest paid Finance Counselors in the industry

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to think outside the box. For the employees,

Very disorganized disappointing waste of time.

Financial Aid (Former Employee)

ProsI respected my direct supervisor and many of my direct colleagues, fair pay, and schedule flexibility (I credit this to my boss not the campus).

ConsSevere consistent lack of communication and professionalism from higher management. Working with central processing was frustrating because we are not allowed to correct and rectify issues on the campus level - and they are working harder and harder on removing responsibilities from ground campuses. This created a very hostile environment, and led to a severe distrust between the employees and the management.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication even if the news is bad. Utilize the skills of your employees and really listen to their criticisms.

This job is a joke! Get out while you can. Terrible Management

no opportunity for advancement
    not what originally applied for. Management is VERY misleading
    Extremely high turnover
    Call Center type environment- exp to make 200 calls per day
    Constant change of policy and procedure
    Heavy Micro Managing.
    List goes on and on......

Advice to Senior ManagementVery dishonest, dysfunctional and disrespectful management. Learn how to communicate and value employees.

Great Friendly and Professional... in the Short Run

Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsAt the very local level, the campus has really good people working there who are honest compassionate and caring. It is a good starter job with great training, especially in sales. Years later, I am still friends with people I worked with at Argosy... there is a bond.

ConsAbove the local level things get rough. Decisions are repeatedly top down with little to no consideration of students, employees or implementation and are ironically often reversed. Also, an acute fear of reprieval exists on the campus management level. In one instance a PhD senior faculty member who was diagnosed with terminal cancer felt the need to keep it a secret until a week before she died. She hid this because she was petrified that if she revealed her condition she would be fired. Sadly, I agree. Illinois is an at-will state and employees can and are fired for whatever reason. One day this included the campus President, Director of Operations, Director of Human Resources, One of the IT guys and a worker from the library. I mention this because job security and being fired is a consistantly and openly stated fear in the company, even among the best employees.

Additionally, there is little career growth on the campus level. A person doesn't move up from a local campus level... or it is very very difficult and yet to be demonstrated in my four years of working there. The hours and pressure to get admissions can be intense and at the local campus level it is a very high context environment. In other words, you are very aware of your place and rank when things get tense.

When looking for other jobs, I have been told that the for-profit education sector's former employees are judged unfairly in interviews and it can become a vortex that keeps you in for-profit education (though I have never experienced that myself, nor have I known of anyone NOT getting hired because of their for-profit experience per se).

Finally, there is a lot of pressure with lawmakers and the gainful employment laws. Massive lobbying has apparently taken the teeth out of the legislation, but there was a lot revealed when congress did those investigations. As a result, morale is rock bottom, management doesn't get it and this is why the stock is the lowest it has ever been. With the way things are, I would bet Argosy is being poised to be purchased. I do not expect this company to survive in the long run. All in all, it's a good starter career and I would advise not continuing one's employment there beyond 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't even know where to begin. There needs to be genuinely good, strong leadership that cares about students and employees on a national level. A culture of bringing out the best in employees is crucial and advancement in salary and rank is crucial as well. would also advise an acute awareness of managerial rules and the effects they have on employees and students. .

Dissappointing

Non Teaching, Administration Position (Former Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsNot many - the hours were easy with no pressure to work weekends, be in early or stay late. Easy going that way. Some nice people.

ConsHighly unorganizied and inefficient. Horrible communication. Awful payroll practices at the campus level - borderline incompetent. EDMC regional and corporate in Pittsburg, which manages/controls critical details, clearly does not value employees in any way - noncompetive pay, poor and expensive beneifts, horrific benefits communication, little to no management training, nonexistant communication. Constant change of policy and procedure in an organization that is driven by policy and procedure.
    I had an employment experience that was unethical and just not the right way to treat anyone. A series of incompetent leadership decisions. No communication or true leadership, possible outright deception and misleading discussions early in the employment relationship. I can't tell you that this was wide spread, but it did come from the highest position on campus and involved EDMC leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've got to come to a better balance of local campus control vs. corporate control. One size does not fit all in your ed systems. Employee friendly systems need to be put in place, especially in your new hire process. Be honest with your employees at all times - no games, as it is likely not a game to your employee. Your noncompetitive pay will eventualy catch up to you once the economy improves, because the other things you offer aren't that great to retain people.

Worked for Argosy University? Contribute to the Community!